Extreme dry mouth and nasal cavity

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
USMCVet

Extreme dry mouth and nasal cavity

Post by USMCVet » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:02 pm

Last couple months I've been waking up dehydrated and dry mouth would be understatement. There is pretty much no moisture in my mouth at all. Inside of lips will be stuck to gums and tongue completely dry as well.

I use dreamwear cushions and even my nasal passages are so dry it hurts and makes it impossible to sleep even with humidity set to 5.

I've tried switching to dreamwear full face mask as well but still have same issue. Don't have computer at moment to check data but app isn't registering any leaks. I've been running humidifier in the room as well and nothing seems to help.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Janknitz

Re: Extreme dry mouth and nasal cavity

Post by Janknitz » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:50 pm

Sounds like you are mouth breathing.

Put that up in the search box and you will find many suggestions.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:10 pm

But are you using the machine's humidifier (with the room's one)? At what setting?

USMCVet

Post by USMCVet » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:11 pm

Would I still get dry mouth with full face mask? I still had it with the dreamwear full face mask.

USMCVet

Post by USMCVet » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:16 pm

Julie wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:10 pm
But are you using the machine's humidifier (with the room's one)? At what setting?
Regular humidifier in the room as well as the machines on 5 which is the max.

Some nights I'll have decent amount of water left in reservoir while others it will be bone dry and either way I have the dry mouth and dry nasal passages.

This actually started after I stopped getting rainout in my hose. I used to wake up to gurgling in hose and I would shake it out and go back to bed. Maybe I need to lower room temp to increase relative humidity?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:20 pm

USMCVet wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:11 pm
Would I still get dry mouth with full face mask? I still had it with the dreamwear full face mask.
Yes. Using a full face mask doesn't mean you won't get dry mouth from mouth breathing.
A lot of full face mask users get dry mouth and some even use maximum humidity and it's simply not enough to hydrate the oral cavity well enough. That's why so many full face mask users end up using some sort of oral hydrating product.
The humidifier was designed to hydrate the much smaller nasal cavity. It was never designed to hydrate the oral cavity.

Mouth breathing is the prime suspect. To experiment to rule in or out mouth breathing as the cause...tape you mouth securely for one night and see if the mouth still gets unbearably dry.

Other suspects....medication side effects so check all your meds for that potential side effect and of course other health conditions can cause it as well.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

USMCVet

Post by USMCVet » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:01 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:20 pm
USMCVet wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:11 pm
Yes. Using a full face mask doesn't mean you won't get dry mouth from mouth breathing.
A lot of full face mask users get dry mouth and some even use maximum humidity and it's simply not enough to hydrate the oral cavity well enough. That's why so many full face mask users end up using some sort of oral hydrating product.
The humidifier was designed to hydrate the much smaller nasal cavity. It was never designed to hydrate the oral cavity.

Mouth breathing is the prime suspect. To experiment to rule in or out mouth breathing as the cause...tape you mouth securely for one night and see if the mouth still gets unbearably dry.

Other suspects....medication side effects so check all your meds for that potential side effect and of course other health conditions can cause it as well.
I'll definitely try taping mouth shut to see if it helps. If it doesn't then maybe it's the modafinal. Don't remember this issue before taking it and don't remember it starting right when I started the medicine but they did change it from brand name provigil to generic.

Thanks

USMCVet

Post by USMCVet » Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:03 pm

Just thought I would update. Unfortunately I don't have computer to look at actual machine data which would be extremely helpful in this case.

End of February I had part of colon removed and gallbladder taken out. I needed 3 medications to control hypertension and blood pressure has been normal with no medication starting after I woke up from anesthesia. Not only that my resting HR is in 60's and Fitbit has shown me in 50's while awake and walking around at times but also in 80's which is more normal for me. This last week I've really been struggling with tiredness despite 200mg of modafinal (only other medication currently taking is 25mcg synthroid) . Checked my app for CPAP and it's showing 90% pressure for last couple weeks maxed out most of the time. normal ahi for me is around 1. Last couple weeks I've been as has as 7.8. I also used to get centrals maybe once every few days. Now I'm getting up to 7 in a night. App also showing some mask fit issues and I have noticed some leaking when I exhale. So I'm thinking the extra pressure is causing the leaks because my 90% pressure before surgery has always been around 10.8. I've tried new nasal cushions and full face mask but still getting those annoying little leaks when exhaling. I was sleeping on my back more because sleeping on my side was hurting but for last week or so I've been sleeping on side and I'm still getting the issues above.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:44 pm

Dry mouth or breathing passages may be related to one or more of your meds.
Be sure to run this by your doctor.
Adjustments to dosage may be in order.

USMCVet

Post by USMCVet » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:07 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:44 pm
Dry mouth or breathing passages may be related to one or more of your meds.
Be sure to run this by your doctor.
Adjustments to dosage may be in order.
Sent message today and was told to mail in my card because of the pressure maxing out and higher ahi.

Deborah K.

Post by Deborah K. » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:34 pm

This might sound crazy, but when I was adjusting to my nasal pillows I read that some folks apply a little Lanisoh (brand name for lanolin) around the nasal openings, so I tried it. Later I was having very dried out nostrils in the morning and decided to put a little Lanisoh inside my nostrils at bedtime, spreading it around as far as I could reach with my pinky fingers. For me this has helped tremendously. I sleep and wake up feeling much more comfortable than before. Just an idea you might like to try. You can buy Lanisoh in a tube in the baby section of Walmart or Target, and probably lots of other stores too.

Whatever you try, I hope you find a good solution very soon!

Deborah
Machine: Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset For Her
Mask: Bleep Dreamport mask system

USMCVet

Post by USMCVet » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:07 pm

Deborah K. wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:34 pm
This might sound crazy, but when I was adjusting to my nasal pillows I read that some folks apply a little Lanisoh (brand name for lanolin) around the nasal openings, so I tried it. Later I was having very dried out nostrils in the morning and decided to put a little Lanisoh inside my nostrils at bedtime, spreading it around as far as I could reach with my pinky fingers. For me this has helped tremendously. I sleep and wake up feeling much more comfortable than before. Just an idea you might like to try. You can buy Lanisoh in a tube in the baby section of Walmart or Target, and probably lots of other stores too.

Deborah
Thank you I'll probably try that. Is that just sold in pharmacy area at store?

zonker

Post by zonker » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:02 pm

USMCVet wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:07 pm
Deborah K. wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:34 pm

Deborah
Thank you I'll probably try that. Is that just sold in pharmacy area at store?
in the infant care section. can also be found in grocery stores.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg