Malatonin- how much do you take before bedtime?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ronragus

Malatonin- how much do you take before bedtime?

Post by ronragus » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:14 am

Hi all!

I would like to ask around as to how much melatonin you folks take for bed at night. I recently brought a 10mg timed release version, but was still waking up around 2-3pm in the morning having a hard time going back to decent sleep with the CPAP(lots of wakefulness and twisting and turning in bed). Should I take additional 10mg dose by then, or should I split my pill into two 5mg portions so by then I just take another 5mg dose instead?

Thanks!

Wulfman...

Re: Malatonin- how much do you take before bedtime?

Post by Wulfman... » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:02 am

ronragus wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:14 am
Hi all!

I would like to ask around as to how much melatonin you folks take for bed at night. I recently brought a 10mg timed release version, but was still waking up around 2-3pm in the morning having a hard time going back to decent sleep with the CPAP(lots of wakefulness and twisting and turning in bed). Should I take additional 10mg dose by then, or should I split my pill into two 5mg portions so by then I just take another 5mg dose instead?

Thanks!
You might read through some of these links:
In particular, look for some by "Snoredog". He mentioned it frequently.

search.php?keywords=melatonin

Personally, I've never needed any sleep aids.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Julie

Post by Julie » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:03 am

1 (if that) lonely mg - usually have to cut larger ones in half because I don't like the hangover I get otherwise.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:30 pm

I was taking 3mg for quite a while..recently I tried 5mg....10mg is quite a lot....Personally I would never try 15mg

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:36 pm

And I take none, I prefer the least amount of drugs in my body. My wife got hooked on Ambien, took many months and repeated tries to pry the Monkey off her back.

I fear not waking up. not even when the house is on fire, or not hearing a break in,(My hearing plugs up on XPAP).

As far as dose, we all react to drugs differently, so what dose one uses, isn't a dose you should use, go low dose for a couple of nights, and work up until it feels right for you. What Mister X,Y, or, Z , uses doesn't mean that's what you need that level.

Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

raisedfist

Post by raisedfist » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:00 pm

300mcg is the only dose with evidence behind it as far as i know. somehow less is more.

PS Min 6, PS Max 18, EPAP Min 4, EPAP Max 12

Lifeisabeach

Post by Lifeisabeach » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:00 pm

Be careful with this stuff. I used to take 3mg timed release for a couple months or so. Shortly afterwards, I started getting hyperglycemic episodes. Once I made the connection, I stopped taking it and the episodes slowly abated over the course of a week before stopping entirely.

I did some reading when this happened and I may have been genetically susceptible to what I experienced so that may be atypical, but still be aware of the possibility. You say you are waking up, so something is going on and it may be the way you are personally reacting to it, or maybe even the dosage. You can't just keep jacking it up because there are adverse effects from overdosing. It can even have the opposite effect and enhance your alertness level by taking too much. And that right there may well be your current problem. I suggest that you stop taking it for a week or two just to try and normalize a bit, then start over slow with 1 mg. Give it a week at that dose, work your way up to 3 mg if need be over the next 2 weeks but stop at that. Maybe DON'T do the timed release at first since the dose is so low. It seems to make sense to use timed release, but then maybe getting a second "hit" while sleeping is what's jolting you awake, especially at the doses you've been taking? It could just be the way you personally react, who knows for sure, but only trial and error will tell.

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:43 am

I take the 3 mg. along with two 250 mg. of magnesium. Been doing this for years with no hangover.

Sheriff

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:48 am

Melatonin is too harsh for me. I used to buy 1mg pills and take a quarter of a pill, and I'd still be half asleep the next day. I'd also get nightmares if I took it persistently.

You know what's better? 5-HTP (5-Hydroxytryptophan). It's a melatonin precursor.

1 capsule has 100mg. This puts me to sleep gently. I wake up easily in the morning.

Most members of this forum are wonderful.
However, if you are the target of bullying on this forum, please consider these excellent alternative forums:
Apnea Board
Sleep Apnea Talk Forum
Free CPAP Advice

Be well,
Chris

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:42 pm

I wake up more than once a night.
It proves to me I can still hear the coal trains, fierce weather, and the cat wanting in the bedroom.
It is also evidence I am still alive.
It's all OK.

PaulKTF

Post by PaulKTF » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:36 pm

I take 10mg of the "Time Release" (this is important because it helps me stay asleep) type of Melatonin a night. Works great for me. If regular Melatonin isn't helping you stay sleep, I recommend trying the Time Release type.

-Paul.

zonker

Post by zonker » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:33 am

PaulKTF wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:36 pm
I take 10mg of the "Time Release" (this is important because it helps me stay asleep) type of Melatonin a night. Works great for me. If regular Melatonin isn't helping you stay sleep, I recommend trying the Time Release type.
please take a look at the original post. maybe you missed it?-
ronragus wrote:
Hi all!

Thanks!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

USMCVet

Post by USMCVet » Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:11 pm

I take 12 mg as needed. I tried the time release before but it made me so much more tired next day.

Lifeisabeach

Post by Lifeisabeach » Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:53 pm

zonker wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:33 am
PaulKTF wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:36 pm
please take a look at the original post. maybe you missed it?-
ronragus wrote:
Hi all!

Thanks!
I chuckled, if only because I'm guilty of doing the same thing from time to time. :mrgreen:

kbh209

Post by kbh209 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:38 pm

I was originally on 5 MG, then gradually got off. All was fine for two or three months then my body was refusing to relax and I couldn't get but maybe three hours total of sleep. Went like this for a year, and then I got back on the 5MG of Melatonin.
Phillips Dreamstation 2 Auto CPAP with Humidifier **