Nasal Mask vs Face Mask (Newbie)

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
DreamDiver

Re: Nasal Mask vs Face Mask (Newbie)

Post by DreamDiver » Thu May 21, 2020 7:59 pm

nicholasjh1 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 1:44 pm
Another thing is that it's my theory at least that during untreated sleep apnea the body gets used to being roused at night, and even sets up mechanisms to have more energy at night (in order to "survive" the suffocation from the apnea's). This is even borne out in some studies which show in people with sleep apnea their creatine levels are higher at night (especially untreated or recently treated). As you may know creatine is used for energy storage from muscle. Point being over time you can expect this to correct itself and eventually sleep better.
nicholasjh1: This.... +1
I wonder if this might be equivalent with what some of us call sleep debt.
RaydeeohMan wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 1:49 pm
Maybe I am worrying when I don’t need to worry; my AHI is fine. But, I’d like to understand what happens when I unplug my machine in the middle of the night, move it and crank it up again.
Here are my graphs for the last two nights.
RaydeeohMan,

While the machine still has power, you'll notice for a few seconds after the blower is toggled off that the amber light next to the SD Card slot will blink a bit. Once it's finished blinking, all data should be finished writing to the card. I've noticed when I turn off the machine in the morning that if I'm looking at the AS10's readout panel, the amount of time might say 8:00 with AHI 0.2, but that may change after a few seconds to something like 8:03 with AHI 0.3, just as the SD card has finished syncing. Sometimes the readings on the panel don't actually change, but the card is still synced after the amber light has stopped blinking. Then you should be safe to unplug the AS10 and move it to the next room.

It was different with the S9. It was best two wait at least a few minutes to ensure all data had written to the machine. That seems to have been remedied in the AS10.

Sleep well!

Chris

Most members of this forum are wonderful.
However, if you are the target of bullying on this forum, please consider these excellent alternative forums:
Apnea Board
Sleep Apnea Talk Forum
Free CPAP Advice

Be well,
Chris

RaydeeohMan

Post by RaydeeohMan » Fri May 22, 2020 1:37 pm

Chris wrote:
RaydeeohMan,

While the machine still has power, you'll notice for a few seconds after the blower is toggled off that the amber light next to the SD Card slot will blink a bit. Once it's finished blinking, all data should be finished writing to the card. I've noticed when I turn off the machine in the morning that if I'm looking at the AS10's readout panel, the amount of time might say 8:00 with AHI 0.2, but that may change after a few seconds to something like 8:03 with AHI 0.3, just as the SD card has finished syncing. Sometimes the readings on the panel don't actually change, but the card is still synced after the amber light has stopped blinking. Then you should be safe to unplug the AS10 and move it to the next room.

It was different with the S9. It was best two wait at least a few minutes to ensure all data had written to the machine. That seems to have been remedied in the AS10.

Sleep well!

Chris
Thanks, Chris. On my machine the light next to the SD slot is under a rubber 'door' which I'd have to pull open to see. I'm too groggy in the middle of the night to even remember to look at it, I just fumble around until I can find the off switch to remove my mask. Anyhow, I wait a few minutes before unplugging and moving my machine. I doubt I'll be doing that very often anyhow.
I did figure out the answer to my question re what constitutes a session, as reported by OSCAR. It is what you'd expect: A session starts when you have the mask on and it automatically starts pumping air or you push the button, and it ends when you stop the machine and take the mask off. It starts again when you start up again. Unplugging the machine to move it has no effect, as long as you give it a minute or so to write the data to the SD card, before unplugging it.
I had the mask on for 6 hours last night, with a AHI of 1.65. That sounds good, but my wife says my legs were shaking a lot. I guess that CPAP machines don't help with periodic limb movements... or do they? I still feel really tired, even though I slept a couple of more hours last night after I removed the mask. I guess it just takes time to 'pay off' that sleep debt you were talking about.
Thanks for your help!
Ray

albigensian

Post by albigensian » Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:02 am

I'm reading through this post to learn about full face masks, but I do have a suggestion for the original poster.

I see that you are worrying that your machine's noises will disturb your wife's sleep. Have you considered running a white noise machine (like a DOHM) in your bedroom? That way, she will have the white noise as a background and is less likely to react to any of your machine noises or struggles. Also, as you get used to the machine, you also might find the white noise machine useful.

Just a thought. People on this board have been so helpful to me that I want to be helpful.