How much does your hospital charge for CPAP?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
USMCVet

How much does your hospital charge for CPAP?

Post by USMCVet » Sat May 02, 2020 10:23 am

Just curious if anyone has been in hospital and used their CPAP and how much they charged.

Looking at bill for when I had surgery and they charge $500 a night for a dreamstation without humidifier lol.

I complained about dryness and they gave me a HME for use with my dreamwear cushions LOL.

I even had my machine but they wouldn't let me use it because patient owned machines are infection risk. Didn't even look at mine either.

Next time I bring my own and not tell them and just use it.

LSAT

Re: How much does your hospital charge for CPAP?

Post by LSAT » Sat May 02, 2020 10:25 am

Any time I have been hospitalized I brought my own CPAP and there was no charge.

USMCVet

Post by USMCVet » Sat May 02, 2020 11:16 am

LSAT wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 10:25 am
Any time I have been hospitalized I brought my own CPAP and there was no charge.
That's what I did a couple months earlier at same place. I brought my own set it up and nurse said "you have sleep apnea?" I said yes and that was it.

This time I said I had sleep apnea and brought my own machine and they said I couldn't use it. So if I go to hospital again I'll just bring it and hook it up and not say anything.

I'm just curious if anyone else has been charge and how much. $500 a night is insane. That's like a new machine every night.

Then the RT has to come check to make sure your wearing it which wakes you up lol.

So in total they billed VA roughly $2,500 just for CPAP.

So moral of story I guess is that anyone reading this should bring and use your own machine if you ever go to hospital.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat May 02, 2020 11:23 am

What hospitals actually bill out for anything is a pie in the sky amount.
Now what they actually get paid for that pie in the sky fee is a whole different story.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sat May 02, 2020 3:43 pm

You didn't set on that $ 600 toilet seat did you? You were suppose to just hover, not set. :lol: Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Sat May 02, 2020 3:57 pm

Outrageous! $500 per night for two night exceeds the purchase price. There is an infection risk from the mask, but that has nothing to do with the machine!

USMCVet

Post by USMCVet » Sat May 02, 2020 6:15 pm

D.H. wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 3:57 pm
Outrageous! $500 per night for two night exceeds the purchase price. There is an infection risk from the mask, but that has nothing to do with the machine!
My own mask I could use LMAO. Also said they don't use humidifiers because they can't sterilize them before next patient...........

USMCVet

Post by USMCVet » Sat May 02, 2020 6:16 pm

Goofproof wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 3:43 pm
You didn't set on that $ 600 toilet seat did you? You were suppose to just hover, not set. :lol: Jim
Is that why the nightly room rate was $1,300ish LOL?

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Sat May 02, 2020 6:16 pm

When I went to the ER last April, I ended up getting admitted to the cardiac ward for two nights. I did not take my machine to the ER with me because I had no idea I would be admitted. I got to the ER around 6:30 pm but did not get to the ward until around 2:00 am. The first night, they hooked me up to their machine which made sleeping very difficult. The machine I was hooked to could be used as a CPAP, bilevel, or ventilator. They told me it was set as a bilevel to match my settings. My wife brought my machine to the hospital when I learned I was going to be there another night. I used my own machine the second night and slept just fine. When I went to the ER four days later, I took my own machine with me and ended up using it for the one night I was in the hospital on that trip. Any time I go to the ER in the future, I will take my own machine with me.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

USMCVet

Post by USMCVet » Sat May 02, 2020 6:21 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 11:23 am
What hospitals actually bill out for anything is a pie in the sky amount.
Now what they actually get paid for that pie in the sky fee is a whole different story.
They billed just over $45,000 total which includes the CPAP. VA paid them just over $46,000. Not sure how that works lol.

When I had colonoscopy done they wanted like $1,300 I think. Talked with VA person because I was getting billed. They said they would take care of it and would pay them like $126 and they would have to write the rest off.

Medical billing makes no sense

amenite

Post by amenite » Sun May 03, 2020 8:02 am

A few years ago I visited the ER and was kept overnight for one night for observation, not admitted. I had brought my CPAP kit along just in case, seemed like the right call when they decided to keep me there overnight. Because they had no one available to inspect and approve my machine, they said I would need to use one of theirs. No protest from staff about using my own mask however - apparently the mask doesn't need an inspection in their world? In retrospect I should have just set mine up and started using it anyway (I was sick but no so sick I couldn't set up my CPAP myself).

When I got the bill they had charged me $500 for the use of the machine - twice - $1000 total. One $500 charge on the night they rolled in their machine, and again the next day/morning when I was still using it. I was out of there by midday. What a scam that billing was/is. I should have called my insurer and complained but I wound up just letting it go. Another point of disgust with the racket of medical billing in general.

greatunclebill

Post by greatunclebill » Sun May 03, 2020 11:33 am

hospitals itemize all the items they for profit and loss tax purposes. in reality they are paid by procedure codes, not itemized lists. for instance taking a gallbladder out the procedure code may be $15,000 turn key. that's what they get in total. they may have itemized $30,000 on their bill, so they show a loss of $15,000 on the books for tax purposes.

please don't ask me to try nasal. i'm a full face person.
the avatar is Rocco, my Lhasa Apso. Number one "Bama fan. 18 championships and counting.
Life member VFW Post 4328 Alabama
MSgt USAF (E-7) medic Retired 1968-1990

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun May 03, 2020 12:03 pm

The last time I stayed in a hospital, I asked for an itemized statement.
I caught an error--they tried to charge me $400+ for eye drops--and I had brought/used my own.
I made them audit the pharmacy.
It is an established statistic that nearly every hospital bill contains errors.
Nearly all of those "errors" are in favor of the institution.
PUSH BACK.
It is the ONLY way to keep them honest--at least temporarily.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sun May 03, 2020 12:14 pm

USMCVet wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 10:23 am
Looking at bill for when I had surgery and they charge $500 a night for a dreamstation without humidifier lol.
When I saw your post yesterday, I thought, "Well, that's just the billable amount not the amount that the VA will allow. The allowable amount will be much lower." So, I looked up CPAP on the VA Fee Schedule. Surprisingly they show a day of CPAP is $571.35.

greatunclebill wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 11:33 am
for instance taking a gallbladder out the procedure code may be $15,000 turn key. that's what they get in total. they may have itemized $30,000 on their bill, so they show a loss of $15,000 on the books for tax purposes.
That's not at all how tax accounting works.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun May 03, 2020 12:23 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 12:14 pm
USMCVet wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 10:23 am
When I saw your post yesterday, I thought, "Well, that's just the billable amount not the amount that the VA will allow. The allowable amount will be much lower." So, I looked up CPAP on the VA Fee Schedule. Surprisingly they show a day of CPAP is $571.35
Kind of makes that Toilet Seat for $ 600 sounds like a bargain, at least when they buy it, it's used more than one nite. :wink: Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire