Switching masks after 2 years

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
chartle

Switching masks after 2 years

Post by chartle » Tue May 12, 2020 8:59 am

Ok this morning I had my second annual Dr office check up by video and everything is great for my numbers but I think I'm just not happy with my mask. My leak rate is a with in spec but high and my mask makes noise when it leaks and I think wakes me and my wife up a little.

I'm due for my 3 month resupply where they send me everything from the hose to the frame to the mask so perfect time to switch. Looking at a lower profile mask than my current Fisher & Paykel Simplus large. So the two listed below have been on my radar for awhile and I've seen videos on them and will look them up again. I think the hose on top of my head will work better for my sleep where I turn from side to side.

Any reason why one is better than the other? Have a few days before I should expect a call from my DME provider. Cost maybe a factor since I'm 100% covered. They call I get a box with 3 months worth of supplies.

Also are there are others like this? My Dr office is just putting in an order for a Dreamwear or something similar.

AirFit F30i
DreamWear Full Face

PS this will be 100% over the phone with no in office fittings so would like it to fit the first time.

LSAT

Re: Switching masks after 2 years

Post by LSAT » Tue May 12, 2020 9:10 am

chartle wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 8:59 am
Ok this morning I had my second annual Dr office check up by video and everything is great for my numbers but I think I'm just not happy with my mask. My leak rate is a with in spec but high and my mask makes noise when it leaks and I think wakes me and my wife up a little.

I'm due for my 3 month resupply where they send me everything from the hose to the frame to the mask so perfect time to switch. Looking at a lower profile mask than my current Fisher & Paykel Simplus large. So the two listed below have been on my radar for awhile and I've seen videos on them and will look them up again. I think the hose on top of my head will work better for my sleep where I turn from side to side.

Any reason why one is better than the other? Have a few days before I should expect a call from my DME provider. Cost maybe a factor since I'm 100% covered. They call I get a box with 3 months worth of supplies.

Also are there are others like this? My Dr office is just putting in an order for a Dreamwear or something similar.

AirFit F30i
DreamWear Full Face

PS this will be 100% over the phone with no in office fittings so would like it to fit the first time.

zonker

Post by zonker » Tue May 12, 2020 10:51 am

masks are a very personal choice. i don't even have a recommendation because i don't use a full face mask. others will be along to tell you how great theirs are. :)

in the meantime, you might want to take a look at the full face masks you can see on our host site-

https://www.cpap.com/productSearch#:::2 ... ace%20mask::::

at least you can get some idea of what they look like. also, they have reviews there.

good luck!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

chartle

Post by chartle » Tue May 12, 2020 4:45 pm

LSAT wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 9:10 am
chartle wrote:

AirFit F30i
DreamWear Full Face

?

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Thu May 14, 2020 9:29 am

chartle wrote:

AirFit F30i
DreamWear Full Face
I haven't tried either of the above, but for reasons stated below. YMMV.

Simplus was my go-to mask before I switched to the AirFit F20. I've tried a lot of full face masks. Most of them have been problematic for one reason or another. The F20 is better in all ways than the Simplus FF, and I really like the Simplus FF. So the Simplus is now my backup mask.

I can understand your desire to go for a hybrid style mask like the two "low profile" masks you've asked about. However, both of these masks fit under the nose. If you have never tried a hybrid mask before, or if you aren't used to nasal pillow masks, you may find the continued push against your nares unsettling if not a painful wake trigger. It can take getting used to. I occasionally use my InnoMed Hybrid FF mask, but only for short naps or if my backup fails because of how it pushes up the nose.

If I were going to choose a hybrid full face, I would go first for the AirFit F30 before the F30i because the F30i's vents would blow straight at my wife. The AirFit F30 uses the QuietAir elbow just like the F20, which is almost silent and allows the air to disperse without any given direction from the vent.

The DreamWear may be comfortable, but like the AirFit 30i, it also has vents facing forward, so it's still blowing into your wife's face, and probably not as quiet as the F30 or the F20.

If it's more about comfort for you and your wife, than low profile, I'd go for the F20. It doesn't have a forehead brace like the Simplus FF, so it may still qualify for you as "low profile". I will probably try the F30 at some point, but I would hope that it's more comfortable than the InnoMed Hybrid FF.

Use the sizing guide for whatever mask you choose. Also, some masks come in a kit with extra cushions, like the F20. Right now, they're the same price on CPAP.com as the single mask with one cushion.

As Zonker said, mask choice is pretty personal. I hope you find the mask that works for you.

Chris

Most members of this forum are wonderful.
However, if you are the target of bullying on this forum, please consider these excellent alternative forums:
Apnea Board
Sleep Apnea Talk Forum
Free CPAP Advice

Be well,
Chris

chartle

Post by chartle » Wed May 20, 2020 9:32 am

DreamDiver wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 9:29 am
chartle wrote:

AirFit F30i
DreamWear Full Face
I haven't tried either of the above, but for reasons stated below. YMMV.

Simplus was my go-to mask before I switched to the AirFit F20. I've tried a lot of full face masks. Most of them have been problematic for one reason or another. The F20 is better in all ways than the Simplus FF, and I really like the Simplus FF. So the Simplus is now my backup mask.

I can understand your desire to go for a hybrid style mask like the two "low profile" masks you've asked about. However, both of these masks fit under the nose. If you have never tried a hybrid mask before, or if you aren't used to nasal pillow masks, you may find the continued push against your nares unsettling if not a painful wake trigger. It can take getting used to. I occasionally use my InnoMed Hybrid FF mask, but only for short naps or if my backup fails because of how it pushes up the nose.

If I were going to choose a hybrid full face, I would go first for the AirFit F30 before the F30i because the F30i's vents would blow straight at my wife. The AirFit F30 uses the QuietAir elbow just like the F20, which is almost silent and allows the air to disperse without any given direction from the vent.

The DreamWear may be comfortable, but like the AirFit 30i, it also has vents facing forward, so it's still blowing into your wife's face, and probably not as quiet as the F30 or the F20.

If it's more about comfort for you and your wife, than low profile, I'd go for the F20. It doesn't have a forehead brace like the Simplus FF, so it may still qualify for you as "low profile". I will probably try the F30 at some point, but I would hope that it's more comfortable than the InnoMed Hybrid FF.

Use the sizing guide for whatever mask you choose. Also, some masks come in a kit with extra cushions, like the F20. Right now, they're the same price on CPAP.com as the single mask with one cushion.

As Zonker said, mask choice is pretty personal. I hope you find the mask that works for you.

Chris
The main reason I'm looking at those 2 masks is the hose on top of my head. I seem to turn from side to side all night and when I do the hose sticking out from my face shifts my mask around.

As for the vents my current one does vent straight out but I was under the assumption that on the two I listed while they do vent out the front they also vent out the top.

But I think the main thing is the hose position. As for the nose thing. When I got first fitted I was just at the high point of a major cold so something near my nose was just not going to work and also I'm a mouth breather so no nasal cushions and wasn't going to wear a chin strap. I think I have a little bit of the nose problems my father and sister have. But I have to try.

lrob123

Post by lrob123 » Wed May 20, 2020 5:46 pm

I have the AirFit F20 full face mask and love it. I would recommend the AirFit F20 over the AirTouch F20. The AirTouch F20 has 'memory foam' for the part that touches your face. At first the AirTouch seems more comfortable than the silicone of the AirFit20 if you don't wear a mask pad. But be careful with the AirTouch if you ever are in bed for long hours such as 9-11 hours in a row. I developed a very sore pressure point one night when wearing it and it got worse every night until I switched back to the AirFit which was softer, less pressure on the bridge of the nose. Now it is possible that I didn't replace my AirTouch foam part often enough, maybe it gets compressed and harder over time. But this is a really painful problem to have. Even with the AirFit silcone mask, the sore spot on my nose is starting to come back and now there is a big red bump on the bridge of my nose. I'm thinking of buying an AirFit F30i to use for a while until my welt heals. I'm pretty sure I won't like the F30i as much as the F20 because I don't like an air stream being shot so directly in my nostrils but right now I have to get rid of the welt. I wish I had never gotten the AirTouch since that is what gave me the welt in the first place.

But the silicone on the AirFit F20 isn't very comfortable against my skin so I always wear a mask pad, I suggest pad a cheek: https://www.padacheek.com/product-page/ ... ull-face-d . I suggest buying 2 pads so you can always have an extra one when you need to wash one (it does get a little yucky after a couple of weeks). I just wash the pad-a-check pad by soaking in soapy water for five minutes, but I don't remember to do this until close to bedtime, so it is convenient to have 2 of them. Don't put it in the dryer, just lay it flat to dry for several hours. The pad-a-check pad comes with these extra 'felt triangles' that are optional to use for extra padding in the nose area, but I suggest do not use them, they cause more pressure on the bridge of the nose.

Regarding F30 series, I've read the AirFit F30i is better than the first version F30 but I don't know much about either, maybe someone here can tell us what they have improved from the first version F30 to the newer F30i.

Additional Comments: IPAP 15 EPAP 13.5

chartle

Post by chartle » Fri May 22, 2020 3:46 pm

lrob123 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 5:46 pm
I have the AirFit F20 full face mask and love it. I would recommend the AirFit F20 over the AirTouch F20. The AirTouch F20 has 'memory foam' for the part that touches your face. At first the AirTouch seems more comfortable than the silicone of the AirFit20 if you don't wear a mask pad. But be careful with the AirTouch if you ever are in bed for long hours such as 9-11 hours in a row. I developed a very sore pressure point one night when wearing it and it got worse every night until I switched back to the AirFit which was softer, less pressure on the bridge of the nose. Now it is possible that I didn't replace my AirTouch foam part often enough, maybe it gets compressed and harder over time. But this is a really painful problem to have. Even with the AirFit silcone mask, the sore spot on my nose is starting to come back and now there is a big red bump on the bridge of my nose. I'm thinking of buying an AirFit F30i to use for a while until my welt heals. I'm pretty sure I won't like the F30i as much as the F20 because I don't like an air stream being shot so directly in my nostrils but right now I have to get rid of the welt. I wish I had never gotten the AirTouch since that is what gave me the welt in the first place.

But the silicone on the AirFit F20 isn't very comfortable against my skin so I always wear a mask pad, I suggest pad a cheek: https://www.padacheek.com/product-page/ ... ull-face-d . I suggest buying 2 pads so you can always have an extra one when you need to wash one (it does get a little yucky after a couple of weeks). I just wash the pad-a-check pad by soaking in soapy water for five minutes, but I don't remember to do this until close to bedtime, so it is convenient to have 2 of them. Don't put it in the dryer, just lay it flat to dry for several hours. The pad-a-check pad comes with these extra 'felt triangles' that are optional to use for extra padding in the nose area, but I suggest do not use them, they cause more pressure on the bridge of the nose.

Regarding F30 series, I've read the AirFit F30i is better than the first version F30 but I don't know much about either, maybe someone here can tell us what they have improved from the first version F30 to the newer F30i.
All good info but main draw to those 2 masks is the hose placement. I toss back and forth and my machine slides around on its table.