How to remove perfume smell from inside machine.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Mikebear

How to remove perfume smell from inside machine.

Post by Mikebear » Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:49 pm

I have a Resmed S8 Autoset machine that I bought for use on vacations, or traveling. It came with a perfume type smell, and I've never been able to get rid of it. It's coming from inside the machine. I don't know if the previous owner tried to clean it, or what. It did come with the removable humidifier, but I don't use that and took it off. I mention that, because I wonder if the previous owner maybe used aromatic oils in it.

Anyway, how can I remove this smell? It really bothers me. I do not have one of those automatic cleaner things. Could the machine be torn down somehow, and all surfaces cleaned with something? It's even with a brand new hose and mask.

Even my mask will continue to stink of perfume for days after using it on this machine, after switching it back to my everyday c-pap when I'm home.

Thanks!

Mike

Pugsy

Re: How to remove perfume smell from inside machine.

Post by Pugsy » Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:59 pm

There is a foam insulation material inside the blower that has likely absorbed the smell. The previous owner may have been heavy into incense burning or something like that in the bedroom.

Palerider got a used machine that had a cigarette smell that he just couldn't get rid of so I think he tore it down and replaced the foam or washed the foam or something. I forget exactly what he did but I imagine he will be along later and tell you what he did.

So just hang on...if he doesn't stop by I will send him a note and point him to your thread.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:02 pm

Whatever you do, do NOT spend on a 'cleaner thing', especially one that uses ozone! SoClean's in court trying to prove they don't scam people, but that's all they do. The machines do nothing useful except wreck your Cpap (ResMed and other mfgrs advise against using them or forfeit your warranty), plus ozone is bad for your lungs. You just need to follow the instructions re cleaning that come with your equipment and you'll be fine. As far as perfume goes, hopefully someone will have an idea of what to do... I'm not 'there' so don't want to guess.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:30 am

I would suggest running the machine for hours, outside or at an open window. Change the filter before and after. Actually, even though an Ozone sanitizer can be hazardous to your health, it may actually be good for getting rid of the smell. I know someone that did it for cigarette smell.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:52 am

Charcoal briquets are not as messy as aquarium charcoal, but will still adsorb odors.
I would pack the machine surrounded with NEW charcoal in a box for a few days, or longer.
Use porous cloth around the machine to prevent scratching.
This will take longer, but if you are adverse to opening the machine, this might help enough.
Do not use any type of "odor neutralizer" in, on, or near your cpap.
These products do not neutralize the actual odors,
but interfere with your ability to smell them--and anything else.

Sylvanas

Post by Sylvanas » Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:43 pm

Julie wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:02 pm
Whatever you do, do NOT spend on a 'cleaner thing', especially one that uses ozone! SoClean's in court trying to prove they don't scam people, but that's all they do. The machines do nothing useful except wreck your Cpap (ResMed and other mfgrs advise against using them or forfeit your warranty), plus ozone is bad for your lungs. You just need to follow the instructions re cleaning that come with your equipment and you'll be fine. As far as perfume goes, hopefully someone will have an idea of what to do... I'm not 'there' so don't want to guess.
I know some people with MCS that bring an ozone generator with them when traveling (to get rid of smells in hotel rooms etc) and they say it works well. Also, secondwindcpap use ozone to clean their machines before sale. Is it really not helpful?

Julie

Post by Julie » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:35 pm

How do you know about 2nd Wind?

The mfgrs of Resmed and Phillips say their warranties will be voided if you use that/those machines... ozone is harmful to your lungs and doesn't clean zip. They're in court being sued as scammers, so spend at your peril.

Maybe there are no smells in the rooms to begin with?

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:44 pm

Years ago, I had a battery operated ozone gimmick to put in the refrigerator.
It was a battery hog, and I doubt it worked.
Ozone smells NASTY--I trust my instincts that say it's bad for me.
But I have a habit seeing bad things from a long way off.
At the first hint that talc was bad (in the 70's), I got rid of all the talc in the house.
I only used cornstarch on my boys' bottoms.
--like my mom did on me and my brothers.

Sylvanas

Post by Sylvanas » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:58 pm

Julie wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:35 pm
How do you know about 2nd Wind?
I asked them about their cleaning procedures.

Just to clarify, i'm not advocating to breath that stuff in:)

Last edited by Sylvanas on Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Julie

Post by Julie » Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:01 pm

You have a PM (but diff. subject).

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:06 pm

Julie wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:35 pm
How do you know about 2nd Wind? *using Ozone [SIC]
They state as much on the webpage.
secondwindCPAP wrote:
  • Why should I buy a used machine?

Every machine we sell is pressure tested prior to resale to insure that your device is pressure-accurate. By the time we are finished cleaning the used cpap or used bipap machines we offer, they are as clean as if they just left the manufacturer. The inside of the machines are cleaned with a combination of Ozone, and UV-C light; The same sterilizing techniques used for surgical equipment, and in dentist offices around the country. Externally, we clean the devices with a biodegradable solution that is used in hospitals across the country to provide a completely sanitized surface. We pride ourselves on providing a clean, quality used cpap/bipap machine.
https://www.secondwindcpap.com/FAQ.html

As dangerous and nasty as Ozone can be, especially as a consumer based product. That doesn't mean it doesn't have valid applications.

Ozone is incompatible with many materials, but the premature degradation is gradual. It's not as simple as apply Ozone and your CPAP machine is destroyed. Depending on the incompatible material, it can take weeks, months or years of frequent use. This is why SoClean users believe they aren't harming their machines and are happy with them.

And for what it's worth, Ozone is well known for removing many odors. As much as I detest SoClean, I wouldn't hesitate to [safely] use it as a once-off application on my CPAP to remove odors.

zonker

Post by zonker » Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:14 pm

Dog Slobber wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:06 pm

Ozone is incompatible with many materials, but the premature degradation is gradual. It's not as simple as apply Ozone and your CPAP machine is destroyed. Depending on the incompatible material, it can take weeks, months or years of frequent use. This is why SoClean users believe they aren't harming their machines and are happy with them.

And for what it's worth, Ozone is well known for removing many odors. As much as I detest SoClean, I wouldn't hesitate to [safely] use it as a once-off application on my CPAP to remove odors.
seems like an expensive solution, though, for the individual. i think chunkyfrog has a good idea with the charcoal.

i see your point and you AREN'T saying it's for the individual, but for second wind, who deal in many, many secondhand machines.

why am i posting this?

beats me.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:36 pm

A faint perfume smell is something that I've smelled from many machines, even brand new ones, it's something in the silicone new silicone, it smells a little like baby powder (at least, that's what it reminds me of).

Now, a heavy perfume smell is probably something that the internal silicone parts has absorbed, and unless you disassemble the machine (and I've never tried to do that with a S8) only time will cause it to go away.

If you DO choose to disassemble it, then what I'd suggest is boiling the silicone in a baking soda solution, just like people here have done with the silicone mask parts to renew them.

The last time I destunk a machine, it was the silicone inside parts that had absorbed the stench from cigarettes, (the silicone parts, normally translucent and clear, were yellow). It took me a few weeks to get them back to normal, with multiple trips through the dishwasher, and soaking in oxyclean... this was before I learned about the boiling trick.

Cleaning the foam, and the hard plastics were easy, just wiped the plastic down with alcohol, and washed the foam in dawn, then alcohol, and it was odor free.

Good luck!

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Mikebear

Post by Mikebear » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:48 am

Thanks, guys. I'll try your suggestions and see what happens.

zonker

Post by zonker » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:53 am

Mikebear wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:48 am
Thanks, guys. I'll try your suggestions and see what happens.
please come back to this thread and let us know how it goes.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg