My DC charger isn't working with my Respironics CPAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jpek

My DC charger isn't working with my Respironics CPAP

Post by jpek » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:07 am

I recently bought a "car charger" DC adapter that claims that it's made to work with Philips Respironics System One 60. The specs are DC 11-24 volt, output 12 volt 1A-2A. I just plugged it in and the thing definitely does not work with my CPAP. When I try to run it the CPAP makes repeated little "puffs" like it's trying to start up, but immediately dies, then tries to restart again and again and again. Also, the settings go kind of wild. The hose heating switches settings on its own but doesn't let me switch the settings manually.

I'm wondering if this is just because this is an off brand adapter (but it was cheaper and I was hoping that it would do the trick) or if there's something else required. I remember reading something about Respironics machines requiring some other additional thing to run off of DC? Am I remembering correctly? But I don't remember any more than that. Can someone please clue me in?

khauser

Re: My DC charger isn't working with my Respironics CPAP

Post by khauser » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:37 am

My (retired) series 60 consumed between 1 and 2 amps really, WITHOUT the humidifier. With the humidifier it was as high as 6 amps.

I suspect the initial draw, which will be high, is swamping the adapter.

But if you have humidifier or heated tube, these need to be off for it to have a chance.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:16 pm

jpek wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:07 am
I recently bought a "car charger" DC adapter that claims that it's made to work with Philips Respironics System One 60. The specs are DC 11-24 volt, output 12 volt 1A-2A. I just plugged it in and the thing definitely does not work with my CPAP. When I try to run it the CPAP makes repeated little "puffs" like it's trying to start up, but immediately dies, then tries to restart again and again and again. Also, the settings go kind of wild. The hose heating switches settings on its own but doesn't let me switch the settings manually.

I'm wondering if this is just because this is an off brand adapter (but it was cheaper and I was hoping that it would do the trick) or if there's something else required. I remember reading something about Respironics machines requiring some other additional thing to run off of DC? Am I remembering correctly? But I don't remember any more than that. Can someone please clue me in?
You don't need a 'car charger' adapter, all you need is a wire with a 12v plug on one end and a plug that fits the 60 series on the other. That just works.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

jpek

Post by jpek » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:05 am

palerider wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:16 pm

You don't need a 'car charger' adapter, all you need is a wire with a 12v plug on one end and a plug that fits the 60 series on the other. That just works.
Okay. How/where do I get that?

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:03 am

It never fails to amuse me that some people can't google.

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/dc-pow ... s-machines

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:30 am

palerider wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:03 am

This reminded me of my brother, who is very computer illiterate.

Years ago, he asked me what this Facebook thing was.

I described what it was, and he asked how to get it. I told him just Google it.

A year or so ago, after he had been using Facebook for years, I was at his place and watched him run Facebook:
  1. He opened his browser,
  2. Went to Google,
  3. Entered Facebook in the search field,
  4. Clicked on the top hit, Facebook.com,
  5. Then he logged in.
I didn't have the heart to explain to him, he can just go straight to Facebook.

jpek

Post by jpek » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:55 pm

palerider wrote:

This is essentially what I bought before and what I was referring to as an adapter. I guess it's not an adapter it's a cord. Mine was cheaper and, as I said, doesn't work, though it claims to be for the System One 60.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:37 am

jpek wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:55 pm
palerider wrote:

This is essentially what I bought before and what I was referring to as an adapter. I guess it's not an adapter it's a cord. Mine was cheaper and, as I said, doesn't work, though it claims to be for the System One 60.
You referred to it as a "charger". The info you provided earlier shoe how what you bought was inappropriate for the application.