Best way to maintain Full Face Mask Cushion? Cleaning Routine

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
raisedfist

Best way to maintain Full Face Mask Cushion? Cleaning Routine

Post by raisedfist » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:58 am

I am using the F&P Simplus FFM, medium size. I find that the cushion will last me about two months or so. Right now I use mask wipes every day, and do a quick actual wash maybe once a week with some mild soap I got from our Host. The cushion doesn't fall apart or anything, but the material seems to start losing its' seal. I have to clean the cushion every few days or I start getting red marks on my face. Maybe I should just gently wipe the outer part of the cushion, where my face makes contact, and not scrub the inside of the mask so often.

Anywho, what is your routine? I'd like my cushion to last at least 3 - 6 months, since I am paying out of pocket (thankfully Amazon has them rather cheap!).

TIA

PS Min 6, PS Max 18, EPAP Min 4, EPAP Max 12

LSAT

Re: Best way to maintain Full Face Mask Cushion? Cleaning Routine

Post by LSAT » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:29 am

Your routine is similar to mine, but my cushions last 6 months or more. I wipe with a baby wipe every night and wash with hand soap ever 7-10 days. One thing you didn't mention is washing your face at night.

raisedfist

Post by raisedfist » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:37 am

LSAT wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:29 am
Your routine is similar to mine, but my cushions last 6 months or more. I wipe with a baby wipe every night and wash with hand soap ever 7-10 days. One thing you didn't mention is washing your face at night.
Do you rinse the cushion after using the baby wipe? I don't wash my face except for in the morning while in the shower. I guess I'll have to start doing that at night - I am sure there is a bunch of oils and junk on my face by the time its bed time.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:16 am

raisedfist wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:37 am
LSAT wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:29 am
Do you rinse the cushion after using the baby wipe? I don't wash my face except for in the morning while in the shower. I guess I'll have to start doing that at night - I am sure there is a bunch of oils and junk on my face by the time its bed time.
I do not rinse.

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:15 pm

Two of the things I do every night prior to going to bed is shave and wash my face. I wash the cushions once a week with dish soap and warm water then let them air dry. We started using our current cushions last September. The cushions we were using prior to that were over a year old.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

raisedfist

Post by raisedfist » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:23 pm

Okie bipap wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:15 pm
Two of the things I do every night prior to going to bed is shave and wash my face. I wash the cushions once a week with dish soap and warm water then let them air dry. We started using our current cushions last September. The cushions we were using prior to that were over a year old.
Until I am forced to go back to the office, I refuse to shave my magnificent beard!

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:44 pm

raisedfist wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:23 pm
Until I am forced to go back to the office, I refuse to shave my magnificent beard!
I understand how you feel, but I broke down and shaved mine off after having it for thirty two years. When I did my first two tests, they had a very hard time getting a good seal with my beard, so I decided to shave it off before my third test. My oxygen dropped so low when I slept they put me on oxygen at night for almost a year until I finally got my machine. During my third sleep test, my oxygen dropped to 63% before they put me on oxygen in order to get the first part of the test completed. Once they got me on a machine with a mask on, my oxygen stabilized above 95%. I missed my beard for a few months, but I have no regrets about shaving it off.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

Madalot

Post by Madalot » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:38 pm

I wipe my mask & cushion every morning with a baby wipe (no rinsing). Each night, I use a wet cleansing cloth (brand varies) to "wash" my face. Once a month, I do a deep cleaning of my mask using either baby shampoo or Dawn Direct Foam. My mask cushion lasts anywhere from 9-12 months.

Grumpy48

Post by Grumpy48 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:25 pm

Wipe down the cushion and mask daily with 'CPAP' wipes from Amazon (when I got the CPAP, baby wipes were pretty much non-existent due to Covid). About once a week I wash the cushion, mask, and headgear in a largish plastic container assorted nuts came in. The container is half filled with warm water, a drop or two of Dawn dish liquid, mask/cushion assembly and head gear put in, put the cover on the container, and shake gently for a few minutes and then let it soak a bit before doing a 'rinse' cycle in the container. Hang to to dry outside in the sun. Six months of use and the cushion still seems to hold to my face well. I do have a goatee that is trimmed short and it hasn't presented any problems with sealing. Face gets a wash before bed.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:22 am

Madalot wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:38 pm
My mask cushion lasts anywhere from 9-12 months.
Good to see you're still with us!

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.