BiPAP as an abbreviation simply means bilevel

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: BiPAP as an abbreviation simply means bilevel

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:41 am

Claritin is too damn expensive, but generic loratadine does the job.
Same with Lipitor and atorvastatin.
The common thread is that shorter, better sounding names are always trademarked--
But it never stops people from saying it.
Enough already!
We are not here to correct--we are here to help, I think . . .

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:53 am

palerider wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:40 am
you are . . . accomplished
Thank you, sir. That may be the nicest thing you've ever said to me (and possibly anyone, for that matter). :lol: :roll:

My manager now requires that I insert a joke between songs every second or third song in my set. It's just how the solo-act business works these days.
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Accounts to put on the foe list: Me. I often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:56 am

Before I joined this forum, the only machines for treating obstructive sleep apnea (OSA), were "CPAP" and "BIPAP". Since joining, I have learned there are more that two types of machines. Further, being a slightly OCD, anal retentive nerd, I try to use "words" properly, and in the right context, even those that have taken on different meanings through their improper usage.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:01 pm

Yes, of course, one can always insist on narrow definitions that no one respected in the industry insists on. That is your right. As it is the right of others to respect the researchers, doctors, journalists, CPAP com, newbies, and pretty much the rest of the known universe on their opinions of what is perfectly acceptable terminology, despite the rants of a few stubborn, grouchy forum posters who run off newbies with incorrect "corrections."

The choice of whom to imitate is yours to make.

My suggestion is not to fall for the boneheaded move of Respironics in attempting to control how people speak and instead speak welcoming English and help newbies who do the same. But that is only a suggestion. Each one makes a choice.

But hey, I ain't no authority. And I've had my say.

Thanks for all who chose to keep bumping this thread up by posting their opinions yay or nay. Any respected sources on the matter are also welcome.
Last edited by jnk... on Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Accounts to put on the foe list: Me. I often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:05 pm

jnk... wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:08 am
as used by respected professionals
These same "respected professionals" that we frequently tell people who come here for help that "your doctor is full of shit"? And who, demonstrably, often have little to no idea how the machines they prescribe actually function?

Got it.
jnk... wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:08 am
and patients and especially not make inaccurate "corrections" of newbies who use the abbreviation in perfect harmony with valid dictionary definitions.
"BPAP" is an acceptable abbreviation, "BiPAP" is not,

What do you have against education? There is too much ignorance in the world, and your stance just encourages it.

Find me some Resmed, F&P, Devilbiss literature that calls their machines "BiPAP". And I'll concede your point, until then, I'm starting to think of you as a "respected professional".

Last edited by palerider on Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Get OSCAR

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:15 pm

Didn't realize PR ONLY respects wording of manufacturers. Good to know.

Of course, manufacturers play all kinds of word games. Even ResMed has attempted to TM pert near the entire dictionary, it seems:

https://www.resmed.com/en-us/legal-ip/

Manufacturers don't rule the world. Don't let them rule you either, PR, with what language people around you use. Free your mind to free your soul.

Can you believe in that list that ResMed has actually TMed "APAP"? So don't you let me catch you using it for some other brand, Mr. Anti-Professional Education! :lol:
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:24 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:41 am
Claritin is too damn expensive, but generic loratadine does the job.
Same with Lipitor and atorvastatin.
The common thread is that shorter, better sounding names are always trademarked--
But it never stops people from saying it.
Enough already!
We are not here to correct--we are here to help, I think . . .
I recently started taking rosuvastatin. The other night my sister-in-law was over for some drinks, I was drinking raddlers (grapefruit based).

My sister-in-law commented that now that I'm on Lipitor I should not be consuming grapefruit, and how much she misses grapefruit since she started on Lipitor.

I told her I'm on rosuvastatin, and unlike many other statins, it is compatible with grapefruits. I encouraged her to consider switching. Turns out she's been on rosuvastatin as well and has been unnecessarily been avoiding grapefruit.

Sometimes the incorrect and imprecise use of trademarked names is unhelpful and correcting is helpful.
Last edited by Dog Slobber on Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:27 pm

Dog Slobber wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:24 pm
Sometimes the incorrect and imprecise use of trademarked names is unhelpful and correcting is helpful.
And just as often, if not more so, the incorrect and imprecise "corrections" on accepted use of words that somebody somewhere has TMed is particularly UNhelpful.
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:00 pm

The brand was so well known in the refrigeration field in the early-to-mid-1900s, that many Americans called any refrigerator a Frigidaire regardless of brand. In France, Quebec and some other French-speaking countries or areas, the word Frigidaire is often in use as a synonym today.
wikipedia.com

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:04 pm

jnk... wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:27 pm
Dog Slobber wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:24 pm
And just as often, if not more so, the incorrect and imprecise "corrections" on accepted use of words that somebody somewhere has TMed is particularly UNhelpful.
I'm having trouble understanding how it's Unhelpful.

Why don't we take a look at the post that presumably started the recent discussion.
palerider wrote: only one is a "bipap" since only Respironics makes the brand name "BiPAP".

Resmed ASV machines are better than Respironics,

But, your settings, and what you have, are not compatible with *EITHER* of the bilevel machines you mention.

So, *WHY* are you on a Resmed VPAP ST? and which of the many different generations of the VPAP ST do you have?
There is nothing unhelpful about that post at all. It was one of the most helpful responses in the whole topic. And it certainly wasn't mean, berating or a catalyst for scaring the newcomer off, as was implied.

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:20 pm

Thank you for allowing me to directly address your sincere statement about your "trouble understanding."

The problem with the false preciseness on BiPAP is on several forums and in many posts. But using your example:
only one is a "bipap"
False. Any machine providing bilevel is rightly called a BiPAP.
Respironics makes the brand name "BiPAP".
False. Respironics is the brand. They may have TMed "Bipap," but that is as irrelevant to the discussion as ResMed's having TMed "APAP." If we do not "correct" those who use APAP to refer to multiple brands, let us be consistent in not correcting those who use BiPAP the same way we use APAP.

If some take it upon themselves to "correct" newbies when newbies use correct terminology, it should be acceptable to correct the incorrect "corrections." Let one be at least as consistent as one claims to try to make others be, in order to avoid the appearance of hypocrisy and false preciseness based on a minority opinion that is ridiculous on its face. To do otherwise is, I maintain, confusing and unwelcoming, especially to new ones.

I hope my words have served to address your heartfelt query.

I believe I have sufficiently supplied documentation for the assertion in this thread's subject line. How some are delusional enough to still argue against something so obvious and mainstream is frankly beyond me, but hey there is much in this life I fail to fully grasp.

Peace.
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

zonker

Post by zonker » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:36 pm

i may have gone overboard.

what gif will i use next?

(granny, this isn't a challenge!)
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:37 pm

I tend to agree with DS above. PR didn't even allude to anyone being an "idiot" or demeaning a newbie for not knowing the differences between "bipap" or whatever pap. He was concise and to the point with what he said and the questions asked.
Now I know that sometimes he does on occasion use the "idiot" word but it's when he has been challenged and argued with....and when that happens, to be honest, I tend to think to myself "if the shoe fits...wear it" kind of thing.

I have never seen him demean a newbie right off the bat. He knows my feelings about doing that and he will tell you that I scare the hell out of him. Now he is sometimes abrupt and there is nothing wrong with that but sometimes people read into his abruptness what really isn't there. I have no control over how or what someone reads into anything and I won't even go there. I have been accused of it myself....abrupt equals rude or hateful but that was never my intention. It just means I didn't have the time to go writing a novel explaining my thoughts.

Newbies I cherish....I will put my protective cloak over them until if or when it is either no longer needed or deserved.
I saw nothing in that thread that was demeaning or insulting to a newbie....new to the forum not new to xpap.
Abrupt and concise and to the point....yes but nothing insulting anyone until people started attacking others for the way they said something or didn't say something.

Now when a newbie decides to argue a point with me or PR or anyone else and they get called an "idiot".....well...if the shoe fits.
That's when the "deserved" protective cloak gets removed. They need to sit back and read instead of typing because they just might learn something.

You get what you pay for here....and we all know that no one gets paid a penny for being here. Are we perfect? Hell no, no one is but since when did being "technically correct" become a bad thing to do or be? Abrupt or not? It's not a bad thing to want to be technically correct to avoid any potential confusion down the line. It's not a bad thing to be abrupt and concise either.

Okay....climbing down off my soapbox. :lol: :lol:

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:38 pm

jnk... wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:20 pm
False. Respironics is the brand.
Not correct. I don't care whether a machine is called a BIPAP or a bilevel, but BIPAP is a product brand name.
Individual products or product lines must have their own established brands. This is useful when a corporation or organization has multiple services, including services that at the surface may not seem to have a lot in common.

Example A: Diet Coke is clearly a part of the dark Coca-Cola soft drinks with similar colors (silver and red vs white and red). Sprite is also owned by Coca-Cola, however, and has a completely different look, taste and target audience.

https://thebelfordgroup.com/conquering- ... -branding/

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:47 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:38 pm
jnk... wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:20 pm
False. Respironics is the brand.
Not correct. I don't care whether a machine is called a BIPAP or a bilevel, but BIPAP is a product brand name.
Individual products or product lines must have their own established brands. This is useful when a corporation or organization has multiple services, including services that at the surface may not seem to have a lot in common.

Example A: Diet Coke is clearly a part of the dark Coca-Cola soft drinks with similar colors (silver and red vs white and red). Sprite is also owned by Coca-Cola, however, and has a completely different look, taste and target audience.

https://thebelfordgroup.com/conquering- ... -branding/
Using the yardstick thrust on the discussion by others, please show me a statement by Respironics in which they state that they consider "BiPAP" to be a brand name, not just a term that they have trademarked.

Pro: So what brand do you have?

Nonpro: I have a BiPAP.

Pro: Yes, but what brand is it?

Nonpro: I learned on the Internet that "BiPAP" is all the brand information that you need. Figure it out.
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)