noise keeping my wife awake - AirSense 10 AutoSet

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jim.evo

Re: noise keeping my wife awake - AirSense 10 AutoSet

Post by jim.evo » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:35 pm

dreamingofdreaming wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:40 am
Is there a way to post a video of the noise on here?
perhaps, will see if that is doable. thanks.

dreamingofdreaming

Post by dreamingofdreaming » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:29 pm

I ended up calling CPAP.com, where I bought my machine. They listened to it over the phone. Did some trouble shooting, making sure filter was in place, humidifier connected correctly. They told me it should be whisper quiet and should not sound like it did.They said it sounded like it was leaking from somewhere. They are sending me a new machine.

recipefordisaster

Post by recipefordisaster » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:08 am

Good to know the outcome - I’ve had 2 machines now with this issue, so I’d love to know what’s going on. One was quite new.

jim.evo

Post by jim.evo » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:50 pm

well this gets interesting...

2 nights ago, i tried an old (but new) Ultra Mirage 2 Nasal Mask to see if that would help. (I really liked that it fits better on my head than than the swift - which is often slipping despite washing my ace every night and washing the headgear every day as well as that it felt better than the pillows in my nose!) and told the machine i was using a nasal mask instead of pillows.

well it was so very loud as i was reading (my wife had fallen asleep and didn't hear it) particularly on the exhale.

i put the pillows back on and left the machine setting to nasal mask AND it was much quieter. in fact in the morning my wife couldn't believe that i was using the pillows...

last night did the same and it seemed to do well again - although my wife reported some noise that seemed to be related to hypopnea and or a RERA per oscar.

what is noticeable is the the large leak numbers were .02% and .00% the last two nights w/ an average of .01. the prior 15 days average was 1.52 (a high of 4.86 and a low of .01). i mention this as sometimes the noise issues seem to be from leakage. (I have more details on this re min, med, 95% & max if that is helpful).

so while trying to solve this problem i'm also interested in other masks that fit very firmly and don't slip - one of my main complaints with the swift fx & also a chin strap.

thanks again!

ps maybe i'll try the nasal mask and tell the machine it's a full face mask...???

dreamingofdreaming

Post by dreamingofdreaming » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:38 am

I received my new machine and noticed immediately that the humidifier chamber “clicks” into place on the new machine. The old machine did not do this. I was able to gently pull on the chamber and it would slide out. It never seemed to lock into place. While I can hear breathing when my pressure gets all the way up to my minimum of 15, it’s not as loud. I don’t really hear anything until it gets to my higher pressure.

jim.evo

Post by jim.evo » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:07 pm

well last night was the quietest (for both myself & my wife) it's been in months after making a few changes:

1. EPR from 2 to 3.
2. Ramp from auto to 30min.
3. Minimum pressure from 6.60 to 8.00. (my nightly pressure was mostly about 8 so moving to this level was suggested earlier in this thread - thanks!)
4. reset the machine from nasal mask setting to pillow setting.

If I'd hazard a guess changes 1 & 3 did the trick. Thanks to everyone and this forum!

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:22 pm

Jim, you say you are washing your headgear DAILY.
I would consider the possibility that it has lost its "spring" due to very frequent washing.
Most of us wash our headgear only when necessary, but if you need to wash yours more often,
then you need to replace it more often. Elasticity is necessary for good fit.

jim.evo

Post by jim.evo » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:19 am

chunkyfrog wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:22 pm
Jim, you say you are washing your headgear DAILY.
I would consider the possibility that it has lost its "spring" due to very frequent washing.
Most of us wash our headgear only when necessary, but if you need to wash yours more often,
then you need to replace it more often. Elasticity is necessary for good fit.
to clarify, i never wash the elastic / fabric, but i do wash the silicone strap & pillow daily. i think that's ok?

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:30 am

Never washing the fabric can also lead to its early demise.
I like to strike a happy medium.
Namaste.
:lol: