Airsense 10 Making a Wheezing Noise Whenever I Inhale

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
cfunke

Airsense 10 Making a Wheezing Noise Whenever I Inhale

Post by cfunke » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:15 pm

I've had my Airsense 10 for about 4 years now. I hate using it but my snoring drives my wife nuts. In the last few days I've noticed a wheezing sound coming from the machine whenever I inhale making it impossible for me to fall asleep. I've checked for leaks all over the place, change the humidifier, the filter and the hose but the sound continues. Has anyone else experienced this and been able to fix it? I called my supplier but they want to charge me $90 for a rental while they look at it and then another $100 - $300 (estimate) to fix it. I don't think my wife can make it to August when I hit 5 years and can get a new one.

Pugsy

Re: Airsense 10 Making a Wheezing Noise Whenever I Inhale

Post by Pugsy » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:30 pm

What is your insurance company?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

cfunke

Post by cfunke » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:47 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:30 pm
What is your insurance company?
Blue Cross/Blue Shield

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:52 pm

Some insurance will pay for the repair if it isn't too much and some will just go ahead and spring for a new machine.
It all depends on which is more cost effective for them and if they will pay for repair.
I suggest calling your insurance company and seeing what they will or won't do.

It's probably dying and it sounds like the blower motor is starting to fail.

You might check your local craigslist as sometimes you can find your machine locally slightly used for less than the cost of repair.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

cfunke

Post by cfunke » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:11 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:52 pm
Some insurance will pay for the repair if it isn't too much and some will just go ahead and spring for a new machine.
It all depends on which is more cost effective for them and if they will pay for repair.

You might check your local craigslist as sometimes you can find your machine locally slightly used for less than the cost of repair.
I think my supplier has my insurance info (they send me free replacement parts every 6 months) and checked against it but I'll give them a call tomorrow and see what they say. I was hoping it was something I could fix myself.

Mercergirl

Post by Mercergirl » Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:30 am

I find the wheezing ResMed AirSense 10 issue very interesting. I am on my third unit and after a few days it too started wheezing or whining after ramp up. As suggested on here I took a video the night it started wheezing and sent it off to my DME supplier. I have not heard back and it’s been four days, but the wheezing stopped after the night I took the video. Maybe that is the fix?

I just do not understand how so many people could have this problem and there is no resolution other than to swap out the machine. Fortunately my DME supplier does not seem to have any problem with swapping out machines, at least so far.

recipefordisaster

Post by recipefordisaster » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:28 am

I totally agree. I’ve had far too many noise issues with my AirSense 10s.

cfunke

Post by cfunke » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:35 am

recipefordisaster wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:28 am
I totally agree. I’ve had far too many noise issues with my AirSense 10s.
It's been really good for me (when I actually use it) for the last 4 years. It's just now that it started doing this. I'm fairly sensitive to noises when I'm trying to sleep. My wife uses a white noise machine which helps but even that can be a problem when it starts to rattle. If it were making the wheezing noise constantly I'd probably be ok but because it only does it when I inhale, I just lay there thinking about the noise and can't fall asleep. I tried for half an hour last night and finally gave up. The thing that's supposed to help me sleep better shouldn't be making it harder and it's frustrating that it's prescribed by my doctor yet I'm expected to pay to repair it.

recipefordisaster

Post by recipefordisaster » Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:17 pm

That’s the problem, it’s not a constant noise, it’s variable. For me, multiple sources of white noise didn’t help.

frednb2b

Post by frednb2b » Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:44 am

Pugsy wrote:

I just started having this issue after 18 months on the machine, wheezing when I inhale. Called my DME and they had a sleep therapy person call and he knew exactly the sound I was talking about, and even made the sound over the phone. I was relieved he knew what I was talking about, instead of the usual "I've never heard of that before"

Anyway he said the same as you, the blower is probably going, and I have a new machine on the way via Fedex same day delivery.
What a relief, I'm sure everyone here can understand the worry of nit having a working CPAP machine.

cfunke

Post by cfunke » Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:19 pm

frednb2b wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:44 am
Pugsy wrote:

I just started having this issue after 18 months on the machine, wheezing when I inhale. Called my DME and they had a sleep therapy person call and he knew exactly the sound I was talking about, and even made the sound over the phone. I was relieved he knew what I was talking about, instead of the usual "I've never heard of that before"

Anyway he said the same as you, the blower is probably going, and I have a new machine on the way via Fedex same day delivery.
What a relief, I'm sure everyone here can understand the worry of nit having a working CPAP machine.
I'm bringing mine in tomorrow for repair but because I've had it for more than 2 years and less than 5, I have to foot the bill along with the cost of a rental ($90 a month).

recipefordisaster

Post by recipefordisaster » Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:52 pm

It’s ridiculous that so many of these machines are having blower failures at such young ages.

zonker

Post by zonker » Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:57 pm

recipefordisaster wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:52 pm
It’s ridiculous that so many of these machines are having blower failures at such young ages.
i know. i'm lucky that my airsense hasn't done this, though it's the "for her" model.

makes me hesitate to recommend it.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:45 pm

zonker wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:57 pm
i know. i'm lucky that my airsense hasn't done this, though it's the "for her" model.

Considering how many of these machines are in use, we do not hear about a whole lot of them having such problems. I had three machines within my first year, but I will still recommend ResMed machines. My first machine had a bad cellular module in it fresh from the factory. My second machine failed after six months, when we were out of town on vacation. I plugged it in at the hotel and it would not work. As soon as I got home, I called my DME and they said to bring it in. They replaced it on the spot and I have been using this machine for five years with no problems at all.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

zonker

Post by zonker » Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:04 pm

Okie bipap wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:45 pm
zonker wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:57 pm

Considering how many of these machines are in use, we do not hear about a whole lot of them having such problems. I had three machines within my first year, but I will still recommend ResMed machines. My first machine had a bad cellular module in it fresh from the factory. My second machine failed after six months, when we were out of town on vacation. I plugged it in at the hotel and it would not work. As soon as I got home, I called my DME and they said to bring it in. They replaced it on the spot and I have been using this machine for five years with no problems at all.
i suppose. i mean, i DO credit resmed for giving me a better grip on my therapy. and i've used resmed AND resperonics.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg