Sensitive Skin

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
SleepHarmony

Sensitive Skin

Post by SleepHarmony » Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:51 pm

I'm new to the world of CPAP; started mid-October. I first started out with the N30i nasal mask. I found it comfortable and easy to sleep on my side but apparently I'm a "mouth-breather". I consulted with my contact at the medical supply store and "we" decided to try the F20 full mask with the foam edge. Not good! It appears I was sensitive to the foam. So, the next step was another F20 full mask but with the silicone edge. Again, not good. It felt like I had sticky tape on my face. Plus the F20 masks left a heavy red mark on the bridge of my nose and puffy eyes lasting most of the morning into the afternoon. Now I'm using the F30i full mask and it seems to be working under certain conditions. The F30i also has the silicone edge but, I've found a bit of relief from the sticky feeling. I've tried making cloth barriers out of flannel, too scratchy, and 100% cotton, too scratchy. Haven't tried silk yet (silly I know but I'm desperate.) So, believe it or not, putting a light layer of baby powder on my face helps. (I can hear you all laughing after that comment. It's okay. You don't have to see me nor smell the powder, so there. And my husband is just fine with it all. LOL!)

Are there any other suggestions that will help with the irritation of the mask? I appreciate your help. I want this whole CPAP thing to work. Thanks!

LSAT

Re: Sensitive Skin

Post by LSAT » Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:22 pm

Contact padacheek.com for mask cushions.

Julie

Post by Julie » Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:30 pm

Some people apply lotion, etc. before bed without considering possible effect on mask wearing... if this happens to be the case, you may want to reconsider using anything on your face prior to bed.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:55 pm

LSAT wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:22 pm
Contact padacheek.com for mask cushions.
Padacheek.com sells soft, washable mask liners.
The owner, Karen is a cpap user and a member of this forum.

Chris8243

Post by Chris8243 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:42 am

May I suggest a chin strap? I switched to N30i a few months ago - after almost 3 years of several types of full-face mask, because of mouth breathing.

With the chin strap on, I felt like I was in a “head-clamp” After a week or so, I tried without the chin strap and lo and behold, I can keep my mouth shut. I had been getting a lot of leaks with the full-face hybrids, and the AirTouch (foam seal). Doc suggested trying nasal masks with a chin strap, because there is less surface on the face, less opportunity to leak. He called it a smaller “foorprint.”

So maybe don’t give up on nasal masks yet. I alternate between the N30i and a Dream Wisp (looks like a clown nose). I don’t love either, so when I get mad, I switch. Both give me better results (AHI & leakage) than full-face.

SleepHarmony

Post by SleepHarmony » Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:21 pm

Dear CPAP Companions:

I decided to give Pad A Cheek a try. I ordered the liner for my F30i mask and it helps with my irritation/sensitive skin issue. The liner is made from microfiber and apparently my skin is okay with it. If you have issues with the mask laying against your skin or if you try to use cotton cloth liners and still have problems, I highly recommend Pad A Cheek liners for your mask. I ordered a second liner for the F30i plus a liner for the F20 mask.

Thank you for the suggestion. Much appreciated. Linda :D :D

zonker

Post by zonker » Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:34 pm

SleepHarmony wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:21 pm

Thank you for the suggestion. Much appreciated. Linda :D :D
thank YOU for coming back and letting us know!

so many don't, you know.
:(
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:22 pm

If you have a skin peal at age 40 save it in a plastic bag in the freezer, at 60 you can have it put back on like new again. :roll: Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire