Please help me troubleshoot

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
brightcrow

Please help me troubleshoot

Post by brightcrow » Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:50 am

I use an Airsense 10, P10 mask, and Climateline tubing. I've recently noticed a very faint wheezing sound with the equipment when I breathe. And just this night, now the shutdown isn't working right. Normally I uncouple the hose from the mask and the hose blows air for a few seconds, then stops on its own. Now when I uncouple the hose it blows continuously until I shut down the unit. I'm very, very careful to keep the reservoir seal dry, so I can assume it's not that. It sounds like it's in one of the tubes. So is the problem with the mask or the hose? Please God, not the main unit.

I don't want to try and discard all the elements at once, or I'll be wasting good parts. What would you suggest might be the problem?

Pugsy

Re: Please help me troubleshoot

Post by Pugsy » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:06 am

How many run hours on the machine?

You can turn SmartStart off and resort to manually turning the machine off but that is actually a bandaid and won't fix the problem.
When it runs after uncoupling the mask from the hose and doesn't shut off when SmartStart is enabled...that's a symptom of sensor failure...and you can't fix it. You can put a bandaid on it and bypass SmartStart but that doesn't fix the sensor issue.

The wheezing noise...also a symptom of something failing inside the blower.

If you don't have a spare machine...get one ASAP.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

brightcrow

Post by brightcrow » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:16 am

Where do I find SmartStart? I can't find my notes for how to open up all the options on my unit.

brightcrow

Post by brightcrow » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:41 am

Okay, I found my way into clinical settings and Smart Start is enabled. When I said the hose kept blowing, I didn't mean the very soft blowing it does intentionally, but a hard blow when separating the mask hose. What's still bothering me is the other symptom. Why am I getting a quiet wheeze from the hose or mask? Is that consistent with your diagnosis?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:54 am

A wheeze that comes on now and was not present before...and we didn't change anything...can point to the blower in the first stages of failing.
Unexplained machine noises don't usually mean good things.
Add that to the sensor for smartstart not working properly....doesn't bode well.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

zonker

Post by zonker » Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:01 pm

brightcrow, thank you for posting this. i was just going to research this in the forum, as i know it's been discussed in the past. same thing has been happening to me. wanted to make sure it was time for a repair and pugsy's response points that way.

<sigh> time to dig out the resperonics to see if it still goes, then contact abcio.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

brightcrow

Post by brightcrow » Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:09 pm

Okay I'm caught up now. It took me a bit to understand. I'm concerned that the fault might be in the fact that I began using a room humidifier. I separated it at least 10 feet away from my CPAP, and it's a very gentle stream that dissipates quickly. Is that what broke it? It's unlikely that I will hear back from my supplier, because of the holiday and increased demand during the pandemic. He's just one man in a small office, not a large business.

When I read the troubleshooting, it says "incompatible mask being used."

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:15 pm

Still using the P10 mask?? Obviously it isn't the mask.

I have no idea if adding the humidifier did anything or not...it shouldn't have.

What are the run hours on the machine?

Machines fail....motors fail...sensors fail...just from age and use.

brightcrow

Post by brightcrow » Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:39 pm

Thank you for your help, Pugsy! I did find someone to answer my question. She said, I think, it was because when I woke up and separated the hose from my mask, my air pressure was lower than the lower range set on my machine, and that caused it to continue blowing.She said it’s probably the mask, so I replaced it. If it isn’t better tonight, then I’ll replace the hose.