Nasal sore, possibly CPAP related?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
nicholasjh1

Nasal sore, possibly CPAP related?

Post by nicholasjh1 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:22 pm

I have a sore just on the inside of my nose (left nostril towards the center), that can't seem to heal. I've tried putting lanolin, antibiotic ointment. Sometimes it gets better, but I think it's possibly a pressure sore partially from the pressure of the mask holding against the bottom of my nose... the cartilage sticks out in the center slightly farther then the 2 sides of my nostrils, and may also be from the constant air exposure, I live in a relatively dry climate. I also have the humidity cranked up, it doesn't seem to really help.

In any case, I can't seem to get rid of the sore.... any helpful suggestions on this?
Instead of Sleep apnea it should be called "Sleep deprivation, starving of oxygen, being poisoned by high CO2 levels, damaging the body and brain while it's supposed to be healing so that you constantly get worse and can never get healthy Apnea"

dreamingofdreaming

Re: Nasal sore, possibly CPAP related?

Post by dreamingofdreaming » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:38 pm

I get this as well. It usually starts when my humidifier runs out of water before I wake up. Even 15 minutes with no humidification is enough to cause my nose to hurt. If I don't use Lansinoh cream after that, it gets really sore and I need to use antibacterial gel. I keep my humidity at the highest setting. I also use a stand alone humidifier next to my machine. This mainly only happens in the winter when my furnace is running a lot, but occasionally in the summer it'll happen. I usually only wash my mask and nasal cushion once a week and wipe it off with a baby wipe each day. I wash the cushion daily when I am dealing with the sore, so I don't end up with an infection. Talk to your doctor about it.

nicholasjh1

Post by nicholasjh1 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:58 pm

I was able to get rid of it by switching to the total face mask. Now I just have to figure out the exact right pressure on the straps not to shove my jaw back. :lol: Actually I figured that out last night, and the pressure wasn't nearly as high when I woke up, so I think it's going better.
Instead of Sleep apnea it should be called "Sleep deprivation, starving of oxygen, being poisoned by high CO2 levels, damaging the body and brain while it's supposed to be healing so that you constantly get worse and can never get healthy Apnea"

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:51 am

The mask should "float" on your face. Its always good to have a different backup mask. I normally use a Total mask, but had to switch back to my F20 mask because I cut my head (long story) behind my ear. The total mask harness hit right on the sore, while the F20 head strap is in a different place, allowing the cut to heal.

Sheriff

dreamingofdreaming

Post by dreamingofdreaming » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:08 pm

I have a full face for a back up, but I just can't sleep well with it. I just ordered a different nasal mask to try, the Airfit N20. We shall see if that helps. I think my Dreamwear, as comfortable as it is, just causes air to blow right into my septum, when I lay on my side. It dries it out and hurts.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:13 pm

Any lesion on the inside edge of a nostril makes me think "COLD SORE".
Show it to your doctor.
If it is Herpes (not the STD), there are prescription drugs that can help.

dreamingofdreaming

Post by dreamingofdreaming » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:48 pm

I can't speak for the others, but mine is not a cold sore and it's pretty far inside on my septum. I never had a problem with this until after my septoplasty a couple years ago. It only gets sore (feels sore) when my humidifier runs out of water. If I use Lansinoh for a few days after that, I'm fine.

dreamingofdreaming

Post by dreamingofdreaming » Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:42 am

So I’ve switched to the Resmed Airtouch N20. The issue with air blowing into my septum is gone. I really like the feel of the Dreamwear, but the way it fits under my nose causes air to blow directly into my septum. I’ve adjusted to the new mask pretty quickly.