Have you had a COVID-19 Vaccine or have an appt?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: Have you had a COVID-19 Vaccine or have an appt?

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:47 am

I believe the increased side effects of the 2nd dose would be confirmation that the 1st shot "took".
Pugsy, we were not aware of the olfactory effect until summer, so nobody thought to check.
Funny, there is a scent test for Alzheimers--something about peanut butter.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:27 pm

Hubby got his second shot (I think it's Pfizer) on Wednesday. He machoed through Wednesday (dog walking and playing, shopping, kettle bell workout) but he was slowing down by evening and had a miserable night. His arm was very sore, he had a fever, and he moaned and groaned and tossed and turned. Yesterday he was still feeling kind of bad but went from not being able to lift his arm above shoulder height in the morning to almost full range of motion by evening. He kept falling asleep in his chair early in the evening last night, though.

Today he feels much better, a good thing because he's going to be in a kettlebell international competition (online!) this weekend. He's not sure how he'll do, lifting for 10 minutes with his still sore arm, but he's going for it. He's as stubborn as his father who knew he was having a heart attack (he was a doctor) so he drove to a store to buy gifts for his loved ones before driving himself to the ER :roll:

My daughter got her second shot a week ago--she's a medical student doing rotations. She told me her worst side effect was a headache, but then admitted she ran 102 fever and puked a few times. Fun times! But now 2 out of us 4 are fully vaccinated and we know their immune systems did their jobs.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:55 pm

I am thinking that when it comes to my next shot...and more importantly my mom's, that I am going to be pro active especially for my mom....start with dosing for fever ahead of time and all that stuff.
My mom's mind isn't where it needs to be and I just don't think she will understand that if she feels like crap that is a good thing and a lot better than what might happen if she caught Covid without the vaccine to help her out.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:27 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:55 pm
especially for my mom....start with dosing for fever ahead of time
You may already know that dosing after is OK, but dosing before may not be OK. But, you know your mother better than the CDC knows her. :D
Taking OTC pain medications ahead of your shot to try and decrease symptoms is not recommended by the CDC, because it’s not clear how that could affect the vaccine’s effectiveness.

The concern is that pre-treating with pain medications that reduce fevers and inflammation (like acetaminophen and ibuprofen) could dampen your immune system’s response to the vaccine.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/17/cdc-saf ... ccine.html

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:29 pm

Interesting video (6.5 minutes) why the second injection symptoms are often more severe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nucCr7Sywgc

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:31 pm

Janknitz wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:27 pm
we know their immune systems did their jobs.
There is no correlation between side effects and efficacy or effectiveness of vaccines. But, yeah, when there are side effects, I feel better about the effectiveness. :D

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:47 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:27 pm
Pugsy wrote:
especially for my mom....start with dosing for fever ahead of time
You may already know that dosing after is OK, but dosing before may not be OK. But, you know your mother better than the CDC knows her. :D
Taking OTC pain medications ahead of your shot to try and decrease symptoms is not recommended by the CDC, because it’s not clear how that could affect the vaccine’s effectiveness.

The concern is that pre-treating with pain medications that reduce fevers and inflammation (like acetaminophen and ibuprofen) could dampen your immune system’s response to the vaccine.

Well crap. I need to think on this a bit. My mom is having really bad dementia and every little ache and pain gets totally blown out of proportion. Not to mention one of her routine pain meds also is a fever reducer as well and I was just going to time it so maybe might help with the symptoms a little better. There is no way we can do without that pain medication at all.
We don't give her tylenol or ibuprofen anyway....bad on kidneys per her doctor as she is in stage 4 kidney failure.
So what I was going to do was time dose her regular pain meds a little more optimally. I wasn't going to load her up on tylenol or motrin or such.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Architect

Post by Architect » Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:15 pm

No Covid vaccine, I swore I had Covid due to horrendous symptoms, turns out upper respiratory infection, antibiotics cured.

I've been tested 3 times past year, return negative. But, if VA hospital administer the vaccine, I will accept :D

khauser

Post by khauser » Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:09 pm

Pugsy wrote:
I am thinking that when it comes to my next shot...and more importantly my mom's, that I am going to be pro active especially for my mom....start with dosing for fever ahead of time and all that stuff.
My mom's mind isn't where it needs to be and I just don't think she will understand that if she feels like crap that is a good thing and a lot better than what might happen if she caught Covid without the vaccine to help her out.
Yes, use both ibuprofen AND acetaminophen, as tolerated. My plan is night of the shot, both before bed. Morning after, ibuprofen first, then 2 hours later acetaminophen. Continue on dosage cycle until it calms back down. Yes, I am assuming a reaction. I think that's a fair assumption.

A coworker just got the 2nd shot (Moderna) and experienced a very bad headache, fever and chills the day after. 2nd day was much better, though still under normal.

And I still look forward to my second shot, don't care about the side effects.

Edit: Just saw what you said about your mother ... obviously don't use anything that would jeopardize her health. But you might reach out to her doctor for advice specific to this need...

Lucyhere

Post by Lucyhere » Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:46 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:27 pm

Taking OTC pain med ications ahead of your shot to try and decrease symptoms is not recommended by the CDC, because it’s not clear how that could affect the vaccine’s effectiveness.

Also noted further down in the article CG posted, is that it's also important not to take any meds that reduce fevers, inflammation and pain until AFTER/WHEN you start to feel side effects from the vaccine, which is often 6 to 7 hours later.
Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset for her w/humid air/heated Humidifier
Bleep/P10

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:03 pm

We frogs got our 1st shot today--(pfizer), and appointments in 3 weeks for the booster.
No thanks to our gubernator, who would just as soon let 20% of Nebraskans get sick and die.

kaiasgram

Post by kaiasgram » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:50 pm

2nd Moderna shot two days ago. Just a sore arm, manageable — whew!

kbh209

Post by kbh209 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:47 am

March 15th, people with developmental disabilities between 16 and 49 will qualify to get their vaccine here in California. I'm going to just keep it simple and make the appointment at my doctor's office. They can administer it, and monitor the possible side effects.
Phillips Dreamstation 2 Auto CPAP with Humidifier **

cpap626

Post by cpap626 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:59 am

After I got my second shot of Pfizer. About 15 hours later I woke up freezing and shivering. My house was at 70 degrees and I had to put 4 layers of clothing on. My temp was 96.5, I could not get warm. I felt like I had the full blown flu. After about an hour I went back to sleep and woke up drenched in sweat. I was fatigued for the next day but not much arm pain and after a day I was back to normal.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:43 pm

We frogs are a little tender around the injection site.
The bullfrog has a wee bruise where he was poked; but I cannot find where they stuck me.