Have you had a COVID-19 Vaccine or have an appt?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Janknitz

Re: Have you had a COVID-19 Vaccine or have an appt?

Post by Janknitz » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:47 pm

After his 2nd vaccine Wednesday and feeling like dirt until mid-Friday, Superhusband competed in an international kettle bell competition Sunday (online!) and won gold. Before you get too impressed, he was the only one in his "class" "senior male featherweight in a 10 minute snatch", but he made rank and did very well, falling just short of his personal goal of 200 snatches in 10 minutes. I'm impressed based on how much he was moaning and groaning Wednesday night.

Short term misery will hopefully pay off in immunity, and he has no long-term effects. Plus another gold medal to brag about. :D

We'll be traveling this summer MAYBE to my daughter's med school graduation (not sure it's going to happen in person) but certainly to help her move to wherever she winds up for residency, and I'm hoping I can complete my vaccines before that happens. Not certain it will though.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

kaiasgram

Post by kaiasgram » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:05 am

I just read something interesting, sorry if this has been brought up already: According to Mayo Clinic and other sources, the covid vaccine can cause swollen lymph nodes under the arm, which can show up on mammograms and cause undue concern. I've seen several recommendations, one source said get the mammogram either before or else 4-6 weeks after the vaccine, but the Mayo clinic article says to just tell the mammogram tech that you've recently had the vaccine.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:22 am

kaiasgram wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:05 am
I just read something interesting, sorry if this has been brought up already: According to Mayo Clinic and other sources, the covid vaccine can cause swollen lymph nodes under the arm, which can show up on mammograms and cause undue concern. I've seen several recommendations, one source said get the mammogram either before or else 4-6 weeks after the vaccine, but the Mayo clinic article says to just tell the mammogram tech that you've recently had the vaccine.
Thank you for pointing that out, granny.
Yesterday I just noticed a lump in my pit, and was a bit alarmed.
This morning, it is gone.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:10 am

The wife was due to get the vaccine on the 11th, but was put in the hospital on that day, not related. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Ambassador

Post by Ambassador » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:49 pm

I've had both doses of Pfizer. First dose resulted in a sore arm and some fatigue for a day or two with a secondary day of headache and fatigue about day 5 post vaccine. I had some lingering swollen lymph nodes in the axilla and along neck into my jaw. 2nd dose followed the same pattern but had a day and a half of low grade fever afterwards and another day of headache and some GI upset at about day 5. My wife and another family member had them at the same time and we all had similar results within a day or two of each other. All in all not a bad reaction and certainly better than the real thing. I'm currently 9 days since my second dose and have had no lasting issues or concerns.

For what it is worth, Moderna seems to be giving people more trouble on the second dose as a whole (from those I've spoken with that have had it) but I probably wouldn't balk at it if it was my only option. Vaccine reactions have a great deal to do with age and immune system function so there is a pretty big variability.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:59 pm

Ambassador wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:49 pm
For what it is worth, Moderna seems to be giving people more trouble on the second dose as a whole (from those I've spoken with that have had it)
I'm not proposing this is the reason for Moderna's greater reactogenicity, however, Moderna's vaccine is dosed three times the volume of Pfizer's.

Since the Moderna vaccine was no more effective than Pfizer's in the trials, the FDA has asked Moderna to look at a lower dosage. Of course, this could have a big impact on increasing the production volume.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:28 am

Just got permission to make a first shot appointment--less than 24 hours lead time;
AND half a week after we already GOT our first shot at the hospital!
Idiots!
It's a complete mess--blasted bureaucrats can't even communicate amongst themselves.

khauser

Post by khauser » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:31 am

Second shot onboard yesterday at 10:30AM. So far, very minor side effects. I'm a bit foggy-headed and have very slight muscle aches. Started last night.

Symptoms can appear over the 5 or so days following the shot, so we shall see.

MushCreek

Post by MushCreek » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:50 pm

I just got my first shot Friday, my wife a few days before I got mine. SC only recently started giving shots to those 65 and older. I had registered with a local supermarket chain, and as soon as I was eligible they contacted me and made an appointment. All in all very easy and organized. My wife got hers a local hospital, and it was a zoo. We both have appointments for the second shot in March.

Lucyhere

Post by Lucyhere » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:03 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:28 am
Just got permission to make a first shot appointment--less than 24 hours lead time;
AND half a week after we already GOT our first shot at the hospital!
Idiots!
It's a complete mess--blasted bureaucrats can't even communicate amongst themselves.
These are computers sending those texts and emails... not people! I've received at least 6 and hub the same. Some asking me to unsubscribe if I've already received the shot; I've received at least 3 of those. Again, not people. And, personally, I'm glad the computers want to take such good care of me that they keep sending notifications.
Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset for her w/humid air/heated Humidifier
Bleep/P10

Lucyhere

Post by Lucyhere » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:11 pm

khauser wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:31 am
Second shot onboard yesterday at 10:30AM. So far, very minor side effects. I'm a bit foggy-headed and have very slight muscle aches. Started last night.

Symptoms can appear over the 5 or so days following the shot, so we shall see.
Got my second shot yesterday also. Headache and muscle aches, but not nearly as bad as it could have been. Hub had chills and sweats last night along with muscle aches, and couldn't sleep. Today he is better than I am.
Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset for her w/humid air/heated Humidifier
Bleep/P10

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:07 pm

Not yet, holding out for the Johnson & Johnson vaccine. I had a bad reaction to my last vaccine 11 years ago with fevers coming and going for 3 weeks post. J&J's is not an mRNA vaccine (first of its type) so I am hoping I won't have a repeat reaction. While I might get covid, this vaccine has been shown to be 100% protective against hospitalizations/death -- in fact ABC just announced that its been approved for emergency use hooray! Will be talking to my doc tomorrow.

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:07 pm

Moderna has been blamed for more severe side effects--2nd dose, mostly.
The volume injected is suspected--it is ~3X the volume of a Pfizer shot.
Many flu vaccine side effects are possibly due to PRESERVATIVES.
Some preservatives contain iodine, a known irritant.
Some eye drops make my eyes burn--due to the preservative used.
Wonder what's inside the vaccine . . .

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:22 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:07 pm
Moderna has been blamed for more severe side effects--2nd dose, mostly.
The volume injected is suspected.
Many flu vaccine side effects are possibly due to PRESERVATIVES.
Some preservatives contain iodine, a known irritant.
Some eye drops make my eyes burn--due to the preservative used.
Yeah, ALL of that too :lol: I already have an amped up/hyper immune system with chronic i.e.,year-round-allergies, so I'm erring on the cautious side. Reactions were to several flu vaccines, doc sad to avoid vaccines, maybe preservatives. Grandmother, mom, and dad had allergies -- I was doomed :lol: ! I take a ton of supps and ends up that they are what is now recommended.

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:30 pm

Muse-Inc wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:07 pm
Not yet, holding out for the Johnson & Johnson vaccine. I had a bad reaction to my last vaccine 11 years ago with fevers coming and going for 3 weeks post. J&J's is not an mRNA vaccine (first of its type) so I am hoping I won't have a repeat reaction. While I might get covid, this vaccine has been shown to be 100% protective against hospitalizations/death -- in fact ABC just announced that its been approved for emergency use hooray! Will be talking to my doc tomorrow.
J&J's trial results are excellent. I had Pfizer and Gramps had Moderna, but we wouldn't have hesitated to take J&J had it become available first.

Which vaccine did you have a reaction to back then?