Have you had a COVID-19 Vaccine or have an appt?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
RogerSC

Re: Have you had a COVID-19 Vaccine or have an appt?

Post by RogerSC » Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:41 am

Had the first one couple of weeks ago, the second is coming in a couple of weeks...that tells you which one *smile*, Moderna. Not much reaction from the first one, sore arm for a couple of days. Of course, I have a constant low-grade cat allergy these days, so it's hard to tell. Never have much of a reaction from the high-dose flu shot, so not sure what to expect from the second vaccination.

Not really sure how strong my immune system is these days, guess I'll be finding out *smile*. We haven't been anywhere for the last year which helps, but aside from the cat allergy, I've been pretty healthy.

Dori

Post by Dori » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:07 am

I received my first dose of Pfizer at my local Walgreens yesterday. No side effects other than a slightly sore arm. The only way to schedule an appointment is through their online site. It allowed me to schedule dose one and two, but it concerned me that it would only let me schedule my second dose 28 days past my first, and Pfizer recommends 21 days. I tried to reschedule, once I got home, but the site wouldn't let me. I called and spoke to my pharmacist this morning and he said that is the only way Walgreens is setting up all of the second dose appointments, 28 days after, and that there was no way to change it. He said waiting an additional week would do no harm. From research I read that Pfizer is saying that they have no research to determine the effectiveness of their second dose after the 21 day period. Has anyone else used Walgreens for their vaccine and been able to schedule at the recommended time? I'm wondering if this is the way it's done at all Walgreens or just my area. I live in a tiny town and we just received vaccine this past week at our only pharmacy chain in town, which is a Walgreens.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:30 am

Dori wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:07 am
I received my first dose of Pfizer at my local Walgreens yesterday. No side effects other than a slightly sore arm. The only way to schedule an appointment is through their online site. It allowed me to schedule dose one and two, but it concerned me that it would only let me schedule my second dose 28 days past my first, and Pfizer recommends 21 days. I tried to reschedule, once I got home, but the site wouldn't let me. I called and spoke to my pharmacist this morning and he said that is the only way Walgreens is setting up all of the second dose appointments, 28 days after, and that there was no way to change it. He said waiting an additional week would do no harm. From research I read that Pfizer is saying that they have no research to determine the effectiveness of their second dose after the 21 day period. Has anyone else used Walgreens for their vaccine and been able to schedule at the recommended time? I'm wondering if this is the way it's done at all Walgreens or just my area. I live in a tiny town and we just received vaccine this past week at our only pharmacy chain in town, which is a Walgreens.
Actually from multiple sources they are now saying that 3 to 6 weeks window post first dose is likely acceptable for second dose.
https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/i ... orders.pdf
https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/i ... tions.html
https://www.webmd.com/vaccines/covid-19 ... be-6-weeks

Don't see anything officially from Pfizer at the moment but I remember seeing something from them not long ago about the window being flexible up to around 6 weeks post the first dose. They didn't do a lot of documentation as to effectiveness past the official 3 week window but there was some done because some people couldn't get it exactly at 3 weeks and they found that at 6 weeks the effectiveness didn't diminish.

I got the Modern last week. If I can't get the 2nd dose exactly at 4 weeks I won't be alarmed as long as I can get it within the window.

If it really bugs you that you are officially a week late...you can always try to find it somewhere else and schedule it but I wouldn't worry about a week delay if it were me.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:36 am

Dori wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:07 am
It allowed me to schedule dose one and two, but it concerned me that it would only let me schedule my second dose 28 days past my first, and Pfizer recommends 21 days.
The second dose may be even more effective given at 28 days instead of 21. Pfizer set up the trials at 21 days. We were in a hurry, so this made the trials one week shorter.

Don't worry. You will be well protected two weeks after the second dose. In fact, the trials showed good protection 12 days after the first dose. However, this protection may wane after a couple of months, so that is why a second dose is given - long-term protection!

Dori

Post by Dori » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:20 am

Pugsy and Granny, thanks for the replies. That's a relief to know the one week delay won't matter and may even contribute to the protection of the vaccine. I was dreading having to try to find it at another location, since supplies of either vaccine are scarce as hen's teeth here in my area and after doing some reasech, I found out Walgreens is our only distributor of the Pfizer.

Setj

Post by Setj » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:36 pm

I reported in another thread that I had both doses of the Pfizer vaccine last August in their trial. Pfizer has announced a trial of a third dose as a booster. They will measure participants' antibody titers before the third dose and then at some period after the third dose. The idea is to see how much of a difference a third dose will make in antibody levels. Today, I volunteered for the third dose.

BTW, it sure is hard, if not impossible, to find my older posts. Two of them are lost in a 53-page thread. :D

Glad to see so many getting vaccinated!
Seth

(I made a typo when I registered the user name. :oops: )

msla

Post by msla » Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:12 pm

1st on 2/05 and 2nd today, 2/26. I fell on 2/01 and shattered my L distal radius, surgery with plate inserted on 2/03. It has been an interesting month.

ResMed S9 Auto set/Heated humidifier/AirFit N30i
diagnosed and began CPAP treatment 2003.

resmed10guy

Post by resmed10guy » Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:27 am

My age/weight/bmi/copd puts me as high risk but I've never heard back from the registration sites in Kansas City, MO.
Guess I'll have to die?

squid13

Post by squid13 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:51 pm

My wife and I got our first dose on 1/21/21 (Moderna) and the second dose on 2/26/21. The second dose was a week late due to the Vacine being snow bound up north and couldn't get here.

US Navy Retired 1973,AirCurve 10 ASV, Mode: ASV Auto, Min EPAP: 7.2, Max EPAP: 15.0, Min PS:4.0, Max PS: 15.0, Mask ResMed Airtouch F20, Backup: (2) AirCurve 10 ASV

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:34 am

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:30 pm
...Which vaccine did you have a reaction to back then?

Flu

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.

Catnapper

Post by Catnapper » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:48 am

Husband and I will have second Pfizer vaccine this coming weekend. He has a Friday appointment, and I have Sunday. I staggered the dates so that if we had bad reactions we would not both be sick at the same time. We had no significant problems with first shot. He is 76 and I am 79. Hoping for the best.

Catnapper - Joanie

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:32 pm

We are scheduled for our second (Moderna) shot this coming Thursday. I received a phone call from the local Sam's Club yesterday asking if I had already gotten my COVID-19 vaccination. I told them that we already had one and was scheduled for the second one is a few days. She said they were trying to set up a shot clinic for the COVID-19 vaccination. I suspect it is probably for the new J&J vaccine since they were not previously listed for the other vaccines. We were on their call list because we have gotten our flu shot from them for several years, now and also our Shingrex vaccine.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:59 pm

I am glad we had our shots at the medical center instead of the arena.
Severe reactions are said to be rare, but we wanted to be in the best place--just in case.

Last edited by chunkyfrog on Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rdfry

Post by rdfry » Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:53 pm

2nd one coming on Tuesday
Mask: bleep and F30i
Machine: Resmed S10 Autoset

khauser

Post by khauser » Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:32 pm

Quick update. In case it matters, I am 60. I received my 2nd shot last Tuesday (Moderna). Here's what I have experienced:
  • Arm soreness. Very mild day 2 (nothing day 1). After that, only if I probed the area or lifted my arm, and that part stopped after 2 more days.
  • Foggy head (some will say I always have that) .... only day 2 and day 3 morning
  • Very mild headache day 2
  • Fatigue, also very mild
  • Muscle aches, mild to moderate. It should be noted I have unrelated chronic pain issues that also cause this, hard to decide what the cause at any given moment is.
  • One day of lower GI issues, may or may not be related (this is not isolated for me)
That's pretty much it. I had what I consider to be a really mild reaction to it, and I'm OK with it. Just enough to know it works (and BTW, no reaction does NOT mean it didn't work).