Have you had a COVID-19 Vaccine or have an appt?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
JLROhio

Re: Have you had a COVID-19 Vaccine or have an appt?

Post by JLROhio » Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:37 pm

Dog Slobber wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:21 pm
If they intend on patenting their drugs or vaccines (which all do) then they need to provide a complete list of ingredients.
With regard to patents in general, one can list components *or* take advantage of trade secret protection, but not both.
Part of the FDA evaluation process requires they list all ingredients, including ingredients that may no longer even be present in the drug, but used in the manufacturing process.
...[/i].
I wonder if any of the above processes were different this time since they did not follow a normal FDA evaluation process (i.e. the 20-year process).

This current batch of vaccines all received authorization under "Emergency Use Authorization" protocols.
* This is the internet - what I write will probably NOT come across as it would in person; where one can read a person's face.
My posts are sometimes tongue & cheek w/some snarky sarcasm mixed in.
I leave it up to you to figure it out!
:wink:

--

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:01 pm

Finally, finally getting first shot Tues... and it's Pfizer! Been wondering if some have bait 'n switches - really giving you A. Zeneca, but now don't believe that'll happen - you need to know what you're getting so don't run into trouble with 2nd one (they still don't really know how mixing can affect you). I also have an appt. for the 21st at another Rx, but will cancel as soon as I have the first.

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:05 pm

JLROhio wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:37 pm

I wonder if any of the above processes were different this time since they did not follow a normal FDA evaluation process (i.e. the 20-year process).

This current batch of vaccines all received authorization under "Emergency Use Authorization" protocols.
What's the 20-Year process you're referring to?

The FDA doesn't have any kind of a 20 year process related to their evaluation process. Or are you referring to 20 years in the context of patent protection? If that's the case, I don't see how EUA would impact patenting the vaccines.

I have seen debate about exceptions and suspensions about COVID vaccine patenting, but not sure that's what you're referring to.
Last edited by Dog Slobber on Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JLROhio

Post by JLROhio » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:06 pm

Julie wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:01 pm
Finally, finally getting first shot Tues... and it's Pfizer! Been wondering if some have bait 'n switches - really giving you A. Zeneca, but now don't believe that'll happen - you need to know what you're getting so don't run into trouble with 2nd one (they still don't really know how mixing can affect you). I also have an appt. for the 21st at another Rx, but will cancel as soon as I have the first.

And for tracking purposes, it literally has the name of the vaccine you are receiving, as well as the Lot # of that particular vaccine on your immunization card.

I don't think they would trick you...or otherwise, give you a placebo and then track if you get COVID or not.

The name of the vaccine and Lot # is very important to "them" for tracking if anything goes wrong with a particular batch.

Look what just happened with that Lot of Johnson and Johnson vaccines, made in Baltimore, that got screwed up during the manufacturing process. https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/31/us/p ... ccine.html
* This is the internet - what I write will probably NOT come across as it would in person; where one can read a person's face.

--

JLROhio

Post by JLROhio » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:09 pm

Dog Slobber wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:05 pm
JLROhio wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:37 pm

What's the 20-Year process you're referring to?

The FDA doesn't have any kind of a 20 year process related to their evaluation process. Or are you referring to 20 years in the context of patent protection? If that's the case, I don't see how EUA would impact patenting the vaccines.

I have see debate about exceptions and suspensions about COVID vaccines, but not sure that's what you're referring to.
I was referring to the normal 10-20 year-long process it takes for any drug or vaccine to "normally" make it through all the FDA approvals to be manufactured and sold.

Compared to this batch of COVID Vaccines - all approved in a 10 MONTH timeline!

--

babydinosnoreless

Post by babydinosnoreless » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:17 pm

Denial Dave wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:12 am
With every risk, there's a choice.

I'm happy for those who have gotten the shot.

Personally, I have multiple severe food and drug allergies. One
very smalll part of the range of allergies is Shell fish, can't get the flu, pneumonia or shingles shot.

At this point, I'm choosing NO to the Covid vaccine. I'm not anti-vax. I'm anti allergic reaction.

My overall daily fear is equal parts of getting Covid and dying from the shot.

My reactions to drugs tend to be delayed by several hours. Sitting for 15 -30 minutes is a complete waste of time.

Perhaps later this year, I'll change my mind. But right now, I'm not ready to play russian roulette to find out if the chamber has a bullet in it for me or not.
I don't blame you at all, I have multiple food and drug allergies as well. Penicillin has sent me to the hospital as do the derivatives such as keflex. I have autoimmune urticaria and angioedema to go with it all (hives and soft tissue swelling) I was not going to get the shot either but got roped into it at work since they had extra shots and trained medical personal on staff, I figured it was safer than waiting 15-20 min in a parking lot at the stadium. It was the J & J one shot. I will not say that it was ok, it was awful but it wasn't an allergic reaction. It was fever 102, chills, nausea, diarrhea exhaustion and really felt like I had the flu. It was awful, I wont sugar coat it, not fun but thankfully not allergic. My whole department was decimated. At the end of the night Friday, after taking the shot Thursday, only 8 people were left in my department and of those 8 only two had taken the shot.
(They gave out more than 150 shots)

Anyway my point of this whole long post is if you have the opportunity to take it in a medical setting with trained staff on duty to deal with allergic reactions that would be the way to do it, IMO. It was a great comfort to know we had trained medical staff if there was an issue. I stayed the whole 10 hour shift, so by the time I went home at midnight I felt confident my symptoms were not allergic and I wasn't going to die from an allergic reaction, by Friday night I felt like I was dying for other reasons :lol: :lol: but it wasn't the allergic reaction I had feared.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:29 pm

Denial Dave wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:50 am

Drug companies use a wide variety of chemicals in the injection fluids and pills. Some of which are a closely guarded corporate secret. Without the ability to know every ingredient, there's no way to test for allergic reactions.

The ingredients in the COVID vaccines are public information.
Denial Dave wrote:
Based upon what was said, it appears that Pfizer has stated that they have used no adjuvants in their COVID-19 vaccine. Maybe that is the one for you (if/when you decide to get one).
I didn't listen to that particular podcast. If you mean by adjuvants that the Pfizer vaccine contains no ingredients which increase the efficacy of the vaccine, then this statement is correct. If you mean it only contains mRNA, the statement is incorrect. Here are the ingredients:
WHAT ARE THE INGREDIENTS IN THE PFIZER-BIONTECH COVID-19 VACCINE?
The Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine includes the following ingredients: mRNA,
lipids ((4-hydroxybutyl)azanediyl)bis(hexane-6,1-diyl)bis(2-hexyldecanoate), 2
[(polyethylene glycol)-2000]-N,N-ditetradecylacetamide, 1,2-Distearoyl-sn-glycero-3-
phosphocholine, and cholesterol), potassium chloride, monobasic potassium
phosphate, sodium chloride, dibasic sodium phosphate dihydrate, and sucrose.

https://www.fda.gov/media/144414/download
Denial Dave wrote:
I was hospitalized for anaphylactic shock after taking a derivative of pennicillen for a simple ear infection. That happened 2 days after I started the drug.
There are many people who are allergic to penicillin and have now received COVID vaccinations without problems.

kaiasgram

Post by kaiasgram » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:36 pm

Infectious disease experts from Mayo Clinic and Harvard Medical School, the World Health Organization, and several local physicians we've spoken with all say that *not* experiencing side effects from the vaccine does *not* mean you are less protected than those who did have significant side effects. :)

zonker

Post by zonker » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:31 am

second pfizer shot yesterday. sore arm but soreness much less than what i had after the first shot.

slight headache but again nothing like after shot #1.

and of course the feeling of invincibility coursing through my veins!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Last edited by zonker on Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:16 pm

Guess what!

I have a friend who is a nurse and working for one of the vaccine places. She called me last evening because they had to open a new vial for their last appointment and had 5 extra doses. I got my shot! This is perfect timing for my daughter's medical school graduation as I'll get my second dose of Pfizer on April 24th, and I should be good to go in time for traveling to the Vegas area for her big day (being held at the UNLV Basketball arena with plenty of room for social distancing).

I am so happy and grateful. Not just that I will be able to attend her graduation, but I realized that the fear of getting Covid has been hanging over me this entire year. I support my family, and my biggest fear was getting too sick to work.

I am so grateful. I'm a little achey and tired, but nothing worth complaining about (though I just did :lol: )
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

Arlene1963

Post by Arlene1963 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:06 pm

Julie wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:01 pm
I am so pleased to read this Julie! Let us know how it goes.

I have been keeping an eye open to see if any Canadian forum members have posted re their experience with getting vaccinated.

The small pharmacy on my street has been selected as one of the 34 pharmacies in Ottawa to offer the AZ vaccine to people 55 years and older starting next week. We are thrilled!

My husband is going to get it as soon as possible. He qualifies age wise.

I am waiting for Pfizer which will be a while yet for my age group.

My reasoning is that I want to visit South Africa as soon as it is feasible, and AZ is useless against that variant. I am over 55 so could take AZ, so this is a hard decision, because everyone says take the first vaccination offered. If South Africa was not on my radar I would take AZ with my husband in the next few weeks. But I just feel it is not at all reliable should I visit South Africa.

McSleepy

Post by McSleepy » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:22 pm

McSleepy wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:11 pm
I got my first dose of the Pfizer vaccine yesterday; 24 hours later - no issues whatsoever. Not even soreness in the injection site. I must note, I started moving (exercising it) immediately after the injection. Looking at it, you cannot identify the place where the shot was made - no redness, no swelling, no visible hole - nothing. If I focus real hard, I could imagine I could feel something in the shoulder last night, but nothing worth mentioning. No other symptoms whatsoever. Looking forward to the next dose three weeks from now.

As always, YMMV! My daughter got it, too (frontline worker), and she had the bad luck (or was it being afraid and having shoulder muscles flexed?) of having some bruising on the injection site during her first dose, but she had no other symptoms. So far - so good!

McSleepy
Yesterday I got my second dose. Once again: no issues, no symptoms, nothing different than normal.

McSleepy

ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto; Puritan-Bennett Breeze nasal pillow mask; healthy, active, middle-aged man; tall, athletic build; stomach sleeper; on CPAP since 2003; lives @ 5000 ft; surgically-corrected deviated septum and turbinates; regular nasal washes

SDBud

Post by SDBud » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:02 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:05 am
Gramps and I have confirmed appointments for January 21.
Got my first dose (Pfizer) from the V.A. Wednesday. Tried for WEEKS to get through to the VA appointment phone line, AND same time trying RiteAid on-line portal.
Connected to the V.A. first. Would have preferred the J&J, but took what was available.
Airsense 10 Autoset
AirTouch and AirFit F10 masks
:roll:

zorki1c

Post by zorki1c » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:10 pm

My wife and I both got our seconD Pfizer shots three weeks ago. In our state anyone over 16 can get the vaccine now. I have a retired doctor friend in Ottawa. He and his wife just got their first Pfizer shot and were told because of shortages the won’t get the second round for four months!
Was extra tired after my first shot— I’m 76 so I’m always somewhat tired:) Two days after my second dose every joint in my body hurt for several hours and then it disappeared. No problems Bad enough I would ever consider not taking the vaccine.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:39 am

zorki1c wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:10 pm
Two days after my second dose every joint in my body hurt for several hours and then it disappeared.
Two days before his first dose, every joint in Gramps's body hurt for several hours.