Mask issues

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Movieman

Mask issues

Post by Movieman » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:11 pm

Hi Everyone,

After nearly 3 months on CPAP I’m still having issues. Very difficult to adjust to machine and mask. I’ve mainly been plagued by mask leaks at night when pressure gets to 12. I can also still feel like I’m wearing the mask for a few hours after it’s off. I’ve tried loosening mask to see if it helps with that feeling, but I then get bigger leaks.

My questions are:

1. Is 12-13 considered a high pressure? I use air touch f20 mask which I thought would hold up to that pressure.

2. Is it normal to still feel like you are wearing the mask after a night of use? Or Is mask too tight?

FYI.... I ordered a new FFM Quattro Mirage. I should get it this week. Hoping a new mask might be the solution? I’ve tried at least 4 other masks and they always leak. I tried two different nasal masks, then FFM air fit 30, and air fit f20. I can’t breathe too well with nasal mask even using Flonase.

I get the smiley face on my machine that the seal is always good, but wake up with air pouring out of mask near mouth. Does that face ever turn red? lol

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

zonker

Re: Mask issues

Post by zonker » Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:05 pm

Movieman wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:11 pm
Hi Everyone,

After nearly 3 months on CPAP I’m still having issues. Very difficult to adjust to machine and mask. I’ve mainly been plagued by mask leaks at night when pressure gets to 12. I can also still feel like I’m wearing the mask for a few hours after it’s off. I’ve tried loosening mask to see if it helps with that feeling, but I then get bigger leaks.

My questions are:

1. Is 12-13 considered a high pressure? I use air touch f20 mask which I thought would hold up to that pressure.
my pressure is 18 min and 20 max.
Movieman wrote:
2. Is it normal to still feel like you are wearing the mask after a night of use? Or Is mask too tight?
it is indeed possible that your mask is too tight. i never feel like it's still on me the day after. you may want to try finding some mask fitting videos. on youtube, search for mask fitting videos with your mask in the search criteria.
Movieman wrote:
FYI.... I ordered a new FFM Quattro Mirage. I should get it this week. Hoping a new mask might be the solution? I’ve tried at least 4 other masks and they always leak. I tried two different nasal masks, then FFM air fit 30, and air fit f20. I can’t breathe too well with nasal mask even using Flonase.
my thinking is that finding THE right mask for you is perhaps the hardest part of this therapy. many have had to try an insane number of masks to get what is right for them.

Movieman wrote:
I get the smiley face on my machine that the seal is always good, but wake up with air pouring out of mask near mouth. Does that face ever turn red? lol

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
um, you ARE using oscar and checking with it for high leaks, correct?
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Movieman

Post by Movieman » Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:19 pm

Thanks Zonker. Just as I thought, the mask is on too tight. I didn’t feel this at start of therapy.

I’ve looked at the videos on YouTube. They are good, but haven’t had luck getting a proper fit. I’m convinced this mask is not the right one for me. I hope the new mask fits better.

I haven’t tried Oscar. I will need to get SD card first I think. I just go by the machine I have which is the Resmed Airsense 10 auto set. I’ll get an SD card and try Oscar.

zonker

Post by zonker » Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:55 pm

Movieman wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:19 pm
Thanks Zonker. Just as I thought, the mask is on too tight. I didn’t feel this at start of therapy.

I’ve looked at the videos on YouTube. They are good, but haven’t had luck getting a proper fit. I’m convinced this mask is not the right one for me. I hope the new mask fits better.

I haven’t tried Oscar. I will need to get SD card first I think. I just go by the machine I have which is the Resmed Airsense 10 auto set. I’ll get an SD card and try Oscar.

let us know how she goes.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

JXG

Post by JXG » Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:23 am

12 is an average pressure, definitely not too high for the masks you mentioned. The scenario you described, where your leaks start through the night as your auto CPAP increases pressure is very common. Especially with full face masks that are bigger, the air pressure pushes the mask off your face so if the straps were adjusted for a good seal at a lower pressure sometimes it starts to leak as the mask lifts off your face at the higher pressure. If I were you I would increase the minimum pressure on my machine up to 10-12 so that I could confirm I had a good seal at that pressure, then you can always use the ramp feature if you want to drop the pressure while you fall asleep. Some machines have a "mask fit check" that will raise the pressure of the machine up to the maximum for a few breaths at the start of your therapy so you can make sure your adjustments are good.

The Mirage Quattro is an older (bulky) CPAP mask, but the cushion is pretty unique and sometimes it does work for people who struggle with other masks so definitely give it a try.

I haven't heard of people feeling like the mask is still on for several hours after taking it off. Is the foam of the Airtouch any better than the other cushions you've tried in that regard? is it a specific spot on your face where you feel it the most? There are cloth liners that you can order for most of the masks you mentioned; many people with sensitive skin swear by them.

Papinaway

Post by Papinaway » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:51 pm

you might consider the mask is the wrong size....

Movieman

Post by Movieman » Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:00 pm

JXG wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:23 am
12 is an average pressure, definitely not too high for the masks you mentioned. The scenario you described, where your leaks start through the night as your auto CPAP increases pressure is very common. Especially with full face masks that are bigger, the air pressure pushes the mask off your face so if the straps were adjusted for a good seal at a lower pressure sometimes it starts to leak as the mask lifts off your face at the higher pressure. If I were you I would increase the minimum pressure on my machine up to 10-12 so that I could confirm I had a good seal at that pressure, then you can always use the ramp feature if you want to drop the pressure while you fall asleep. Some machines have a "mask fit check" that will raise the pressure of the machine up to the maximum for a few breaths at the start of your therapy so you can make sure your adjustments are good.

The Mirage Quattro is an older (bulky) CPAP mask, but the cushion is pretty unique and sometimes it does work for people who struggle with other masks so definitely give it a try.

I haven't heard of people feeling like the mask is still on for several hours after taking it off. Is the foam of the Airtouch any better than the other cushions you've tried in that regard? is it a specific spot on your face where you feel it the most? There are cloth liners that you can order for most of the masks you mentioned; many people with sensitive skin swear by them.
Thanks. My machine does have a mask fit check. I will try that tonight to see if I can a better seal. I also like the suggestion to up the minimum pressure. My min pressure is currently 8. Used to be at 4, but I felt like couldn’t breathe.

Yeah, I noticed the mirage looked bulkier. I’m a bit concerned about the size but thought I’d try it.

This sensation is a strange feeling. I didn’t get this until recently. The foam of the air touch feels better on my face than the silicone of the air fit. I still get the sensation though of the mask still on. Maybe it is more of an irritation? I don’t see any marks though. The feeling is almost of a line all the outside edges of where mask touches my face and around the back of my head where the straps are. The feeling is almost a burning sensation as if the winter air was blowing on my face. I wish I could describe it better. Lol. I’m somewhat concerned that other CPAP users don’t get this feeling. I’ll call my doctor and ask about it.

Movieman

Post by Movieman » Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:02 pm

Papinaway wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:51 pm
you might consider the mask is the wrong size....
Thanks. Yes I did consider it and I actually tried a medium of the same mask. I was originally fitted at the doctors office w a large. The medium didn’t fit over my mouth all the way, so I think they measured it correctly at the large size.

booksfan

Post by booksfan » Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:27 pm

As Zonker said, finding the right mask is the most difficult part of therapy. During my first 15 months, I think I went through at least 15 masks, at least 8 to 10 of them my first month. Then every month to 6 weeks, I was buying (on my own dime, no less!) other masks to try because I was not successful. When the Bleep came out, I finally found a mask that worked for me and I have been using it for almost 2 years now! You will find one that works for you too! And about the pressure, yours is not really high. I average between 13 and 14 each night. Occasionally, of course, since that is an average, it does go a bit higher. My range is 11.6 to 20.

Good luck!

Mask: Bleep Eclipse/Halos
Machine: ResMed AirSense 11 AutoSet

springman946

Post by springman946 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:37 pm

it takes time to get use to when I first started my bipap therapy it took my almost 4 month to get use to

imrj

Post by imrj » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:56 pm

i agree....i dont think the masks are so much the issue as the needing to get used to it....if you have tried 4 or so different ones, then is probably not the mask the problem. I am not saying you go do this, but for me a 90-day course of sleep meds helped me relax and forget about the mask issues, and by then i became so used to it i dont even feel it there, then i tapered off the sleeping meds and was good to go
the problem is your subconscious mind (which you cant control or force to) needs to become "unaware" of there being a mask on your face....and as something familiar....my kids screamed when i took their pacifiers away, all 3 of them.....they had to unlearn of its presence

Movieman

Post by Movieman » Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:32 am

springman946 wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:37 pm
it takes time to get use to when I first started my bipap therapy it took my almost 4 month to get use to
Thanks! This is a good point. I think I had unrealistic expectations that I would just use the equipment and I would immediately feel a better..

Movieman

Post by Movieman » Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:41 am

imrj wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:56 pm
i agree....i dont think the masks are so much the issue as the needing to get used to it....if you have tried 4 or so different ones, then is probably not the mask the problem. I am not saying you go do this, but for me a 90-day course of sleep meds helped me relax and forget about the mask issues, and by then i became so used to it i dont even feel it there, then i tapered off the sleeping meds and was good to go
the problem is your subconscious mind (which you cant control or force to) needs to become "unaware" of there being a mask on your face....and as something familiar....my kids screamed when i took their pacifiers away, all 3 of them.....they had to unlearn of its presence
At first I was convinced the masks were the problem but after last night. I think you and springman are on the right track. JXG recommended I run my mask fit and sure enough at my max pressure 15 the mask leaked like crazy. I do suffer from claustrophobia and I think I have been afraid to tighten the mask enough so that when my pressure increases during the night the mask keeps it’s seal. It was tight enough for my starting pressure of 8, but not tight enough at 11-12.

Last night I made the mask tight enough after using mask fit and wasn’t plagued by leaks, but did feel claustrophobic. I had a hard time sleeping, but this morning I managed to relax and sleep a bit. No real leaks. So, it probably isn’t the mask it’s me. I may inquire about sleep meds for a short period of time to see if it helps. Thanks.