CPAP humidifier question

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
musculus

CPAP humidifier question

Post by musculus » Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:19 am

Airsense 10 watertank hold more water 380ml vs Dreamstation's 325ml. My question is can Airsense 10/Dreamstation do 8 hrs at max humidity?

I am using last gen PR machine and it cannot do whole night even at humidity level 4.

jim22

Re: CPAP humidifier question

Post by jim22 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:22 am

It depends on the ambient humidity level and can be severely affected by leaks. Assuming you dont want to be disturbed to refill the tank, lower the humidity level and work on reducing leaks. You could also run a humidifier in the bedroom to raise the ambient humidity so the CPAP doesnt have to work so hard. I run mine at 3 and it makes it al night, but if i ran any higher im sure it would run out.
Jim

Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset, Swift FX nasal pillows mask

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:00 am

musculus wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:19 am
Airsense 10 watertank hold more water 380ml vs Dreamstation's 325ml. My question is can Airsense 10/Dreamstation do 8 hrs at max humidity?

I am using last gen PR machine and it cannot do whole night even at humidity level 4.
You must have a very dry home. I suggest you buy a small room humidifier to run in your bedroom at night. They can be bought at Walgreens, CVS, Amazon, Walmart etc for under $40.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:32 am

musculus wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:19 am
cannot do whole night even at humidity level 4.
Other things that contribute to high water usage --->

- high pressure settings
- high mask leaks
- mouth-breathing with a nasal interface
- dry (less than 40%) bedroom ambient air

musculus

Post by musculus » Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:07 pm

Thanks for all the replies. will try humidifier in the room and CPAP humidity setting 3.

Deborah K.

Post by Deborah K. » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:57 pm

I have a Dreamstation. I set the humidity at it's highest setting and run a room humidifier full blast. I live in Colorado where it's dry. so I need both.
Machine: Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset For Her
Mask: Bleep Dreamport mask system

Uncle Flapp

Post by Uncle Flapp » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:23 pm

I have a similar question and hope I'm not hijacking this thread. Moderators, feel free to thump me if this post is inappropriate.

First and foremost, it has been a while since I visited this site, and it is nice to see some familiar names. I appreciate all the help over the years. You folks got me through some tough times and helped make my therapy successful. It's nice to see you're still assisting those in need.

I find that my Dreamstation ASV is out of water within a few hours, even with the humidity setting on 1. In fact, I filled it up twice last night and still woke to an empty tank after 6.5 hours of sleep.
Passive humidifying (full water tank, no heat) has been my compromise, and after eight+ hours, there is almost no discernable water loss. That makes me think the heating element is getting too hot, even on the lowest setting. I own two humidifiers (and two water chambers) but get the same results from both. Could the main unit be sending too much current to the hot plate? I'm thinking about measuring the water temperature after an hour or so to see if it is hot enough for a crawfish boil.

Yes, it is dry in Southern AZ. My weather station reports 25% humidity - but a full water chamber with no heat will last serval days, whereas a setting of 1 lasts only a few hours. What gives?

Thanks for your help!

- Flappy

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:49 pm

Uncle Flapp wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:23 pm
What gives?
These things are the main factors in water consumption.

1....Ambient humidity
2....Pressures used (higher will consume more water)
3....Amount of large leak going on (more big leak with consume more water)

What is the ambient humidity in your bedroom? Do you know?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Uncle Flapp

Post by Uncle Flapp » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:08 pm

Hi Pugsy! Great to hear from you, and thanks for the quick reply.

According to my smart thermostat, the ambient humidity in my bedroom is ~30%. Large leaks are non-existent. Last night, pressure ranges from EPAP 8-11, 14-16 IPAP. Still rockin' the P10 on ASV.

- Flappy

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:15 pm

Uncle Flapp wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:08 pm
Hi Pugsy! Great to hear from you, and thanks for the quick reply.

According to my smart thermostat, the ambient humidity in my bedroom is ~30%. Large leaks are non-existent. Last night, pressure ranges from EPAP 8-11, 14-16 IPAP. Still rockin' the P10 on ASV.

- Flappy
The machine shouldn't be using all that water at a setting of 1 after an hour or two of use. That's excessive and while your ambient humidity is on the low side I don't think it is that low to cause that much water consumption.

Are you using a heated hose or non heated hose?

My ResMed machine will use almost all the water after 8 hours of use at my 40% ambient humidity and a setting of 6 for humidity.
I have used Respironics machines in the past (but never a DreamStation) and I would always use max humidity and have a little water left over after 7 or 8 hours of use. Sounds like something weird is going on with your humidifier somehow but I don't know how to test things.

Maybe add a humidifier to your bedroom and get that ambient humidity up???????

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Uncle Flapp

Post by Uncle Flapp » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:40 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:15 pm
Are you using a heated hose or non heated hose?
I am using a heated hose but rarely turn it on. I've tried it off and at a setting on 1, but haven't seen a difference in water usage. Better on or off, do you think?
Maybe I'll run the unit for an hour with the humidity setting on 1, check the temp, and will do the same at a setting of 5 to see if there is a difference. Egg drop soup, perhaps?

The machine is still a rental - part of the insurance company's compliance try-and-buy. Hopefully, I can deal with their DME for any type of warranty issue. At least they're local.

Thanks again, Pugsy.

- Flappy