O.T. Covid Vaccine Reaction in Diabetics?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Slartybartfast

O.T. Covid Vaccine Reaction in Diabetics?

Post by Slartybartfast » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:19 am

I'm posting this question because I expect there might be some folks here who this might affect:

Any diabetics out there notice anything funny with your blood glucose levels after getting the vaccine? I took my mom, 91 and a Type I diabetic but otherwise healthy, in to get her first Moderna vaccine. She had no problem initially, just like a flu shot. But over the next 2 days, her blood glucose topped the glucometer out. It kept saying "HIGH." Which means over 600 on that glucometer.

She kept taking more insulin every few hours until the numbers started coming down. Then a day later, she was back to normal. She just had her second Moderna vaccine and same thing again. She feels very tired and, again her blood glucose has been out of range of the machine. It's coming down now, and she's feeling better.

I wonder if any of this sounds familiar, and if it does, why diabetics aren't warned to watch their blood glucose after getting the vaccine.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: O.T. Covid Vaccine Reaction in Diabetics?

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:28 am

The bullfrog and I both noticed unusually high blood sugars.
Not as extreme as your mother, though.
We are both T2, so we get minor peaks with every illness.

Last edited by chunkyfrog on Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Slartybartfast

Post by Slartybartfast » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:39 am

Thanks for that. I'm not diabetic, but I've noticed that Mom's blood glucose levels go up when my she has had colds. I'm thinking that maybe her current issue with elevated blood glucose might be an indication that her immune system is reacting to the vaccine as if it were fighting off an infection. Which it is doing. That level of blood glucose is rather alarming.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:04 am

As to why people aren't warned about the injection and diabetics going high after the shot, everything affects diabetes, Type One are even more unstable than type two, for responsible treatment requires frequent testing, any changes in meds or life, require more even more ,might tend to scare some away from getting the shot, putting their lives at risk, as well as the rest of us. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:36 am

Slartybartfast wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:39 am
Thanks for that. I'm not diabetic, but I've noticed that Mom's blood glucose levels go up when my she has had colds. I'm thinking that maybe her current issue with elevated blood glucose might be an indication that her immune system is reacting to the vaccine as if it were fighting off an infection. Which it is doing. That level of blood glucose is rather alarming.
Talk to her doctor to determine at what point you should bring her in.
600 sounds very freaky.

Tinben

Post by Tinben » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:41 pm

Slartybartfast wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:19 am
I'm posting this question because I expect there might be some folks here who this might affect:

Any diabetics out there notice anything funny with your blood glucose levels after getting the vaccine? I took my mom, 91 and a Type I diabetic but otherwise healthy, in to get her first Moderna vaccine. She had no problem initially, just like a flu shot. But over the next 2 days, her blood glucose topped the glucometer out. It kept saying "HIGH." Which means over 600 on that glucometer.

She kept taking more insulin every few hours until the numbers started coming down. Then a day later, she was back to normal. She just had her second Moderna vaccine and same thing again. She feels very tired and, again her blood glucose has been out of range of the machine. It's coming down now, and she's feeling better.

I wonder if any of this sounds familiar, and if it does, why diabetics aren't warned to watch their blood glucose after getting the vaccine.
Thank you for bringing this up. I can literally walk down the candy isle and my sugar goes sky high. Type 1 here on insulin pump. Antibiotics and the likes also raise my BG. I didn’t even think about the vaccine. Got my wife signed up today since they are taking school teachers and she has the cancer.
Resmed Autoset 10-For Her/Him
Resmed F30i

babydinosnoreless

Post by babydinosnoreless » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:49 am

Goofproof wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:04 am
As to why people aren't warned about the injection and diabetics going high after the shot, everything affects diabetes, Type One are even more unstable than type two, for responsible treatment requires frequent testing, any changes in meds or life, require more even more ,might tend to scare some away from getting the shot, putting their lives at risk, as well as the rest of us. Jim
:roll: :roll: So lying for our own good ? I don't care if it puts your life at risk I'm not putting mine at risk to save you.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:15 pm

Nothing out of the ordinary here.
Numbers have been consistent with what they usually are.
I had the Moderna version and the last/second injection on Feb. 3rd.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

nicholasjh1

Post by nicholasjh1 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:22 pm

thanks for the warning, I'm not officially diabetic, but I do get high "borderline" a1c if I don't consistently exercise, take my supplements, and eat relatively low carb. I'll have to watch out for how I'm feeling. I want to get a blood tester but don't have the extra moolah right now. Latest reading was 5.6 so no longer "pre-diabetic" but I think that just means my metabolic syndrome is under control.
Instead of Sleep apnea it should be called "Sleep deprivation, starving of oxygen, being poisoned by high CO2 levels, damaging the body and brain while it's supposed to be healing so that you constantly get worse and can never get healthy Apnea"

Slartybartfast

Post by Slartybartfast » Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:47 am

Thanks for the replies. Mom's GP was vague and not particularly curious about the issue. I think she just didn't know, but didn't want to say so. And the way the clinicals were run, I doubt they ran a test arm against controls for 91 year old Type 1 diabetics. Mom's elevated blood sugar lasted two days, then came down into normal range. But a week after the second shot (Moderna), she says she's still feeling fatigued and light-headed. Cystolic blood pressure was elevated while her glucose was high, but that might have been emotional because diastolic was normal. She's 91, though, and who knows what might be going on with a 91 year old Type 1 diabetic.

RE: the off-the-scale blood sugar, my (RN) wife said when she was working ICU, someone coming into the unit with 600 would immediately be put on an insulin drip. Fortunately, my Mom is with it enough to titrate her insulin to bring the numbers down when they go high. GP suggested that she take more of the long-acting insulin, and that did the trick. But the question remains, was it the reaction to the vaccine that caused the spike in blood sugar? Seems like maybe yes, but maybe no. She has an appointment with the endocrinologist soon. Maybe she can clear this up.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:11 am

I asked my doctor for a rererral to an endo.
They know a heap more than your GP.