Loving my new Air Touch N20 mask

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
dreamingofdreaming

Loving my new Air Touch N20 mask

Post by dreamingofdreaming » Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:59 pm

It's so light and soft, I hardly notice that I have it on. I'm curious to know how long the cushion will last?

Pugsy

Re: Loving my new Air Touch N20 mask

Post by Pugsy » Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:19 pm

Those memory foam cushions won't last as long as silicone by a long shot but there are ways to prolong the life.
Air, water and facial oils eventually cause the foam to disintegrate. It's the nature of the foam.

ResMed says to replace the cushion once a month because that's what most insurance will pay for....duh.
We all know that the silicone cushions will last a lot longer than that with common sense care.
But the memory foam simply won't last as long as the silicone.

The DME shop that I used to use (used to because they refuse to supply the Bleep for me) manager uses the AirTouch cushion and he told me he got about 3 months of use before it simply wasn't working well.
Water will kill it...hence the no soap and water cleaning...very quickly but just exposing it to the air dries it out and your own facial oils will degrade things. It's going to be another one of those things that come with that big YMMV sticker.
Make sure your face is washed well at bedtime to remove residual oils...is one thing to help prolong the life.
If you have insurance that foots the bulk of the bill...don't worry so much about the life and just enjoy the mask.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

dreamingofdreaming

Post by dreamingofdreaming » Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:48 pm

I've been using a liner with it, hopefully that'll help. I didn't think about air being an issue. The cushion came in a little plastic case. I should probably keep it in that case during the day. It's really comfortable and I wouldn't mind buying a new cushion once a month. I bought the regular air fit N20 cushion. It's not bad, but not as nice as the memory foam cushion. I tried the air fit 20 cushion last night, just to compare and after 15 minutes or so, I switched back to the foam cushion. It's so quiet compared to the Dreamwear.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:53 pm

Air is something my DME guy mentioned to me....he said that even a non used memory foam cushion left out to the air for a period of time tended to dry out a bit and become a fragile. Now I don't know how long he left it out but he did mention it to me so I warn people.
It could have been for quite some time for all I know but I mention it as a precaution.

I have never used the memory foam masks...initially only available in a full face mask that goes over the nose which both are deal breakers for me. Now if I used an over the nose cushion type of mask I might try it but I don't like anything on my nasal bridge area of my nose so I won't go there. Just way too much "stuff" on my face and head. :lol:

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.