New CPAP User With Question: Can I “Fire” My Equipment Supplier?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
EJW372

New CPAP User With Question: Can I “Fire” My Equipment Supplier?

Post by EJW372 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:56 pm

New CPAP user here just 2 months into it.

I had a question about the DME supplier my doctor set me up with. They gave me a Philips Dreamstation and the DreamWear full face mask which I eventually got rid of and went with a ResMed F30 which I really like.

My question is: can I “fire” my DME supplier and NOT get any more supplies from them? Their customer service has been absolutely atrocious, I originally tried to get them to give me a different mask than the DreamWear and it was like an act of Congress with numerous phone calls back and forth, they finally refused and said they couldn’t do anything for 3 months. So 2 weeks into 3 months I have a mask I hate and they can’t help me? Ummm, OK.

So I found CPAP.com and they were great and I found the F30 that I love and actually ordered 2 more complete mask kits from them.

I went and looked at what the DME supplier was charging Aetna and what I had to pay as my portion and the costs to just go through CPAP.com and pay out of pocket were pretty close. So now I just want to skip using the DME people altogether and get all my supplies and parts from CPAP.com

How do I do this? Can I do this? I am set up on a payment plan for the CPAP machine itself which obviously can’t be changed but how do I NOT get any supplies from them going forward? Just don’t order any? My concern is they are going to ship me Philips DreamWear mask gear automatically which I don’t even want or use any longer.

Has anyone done this? I looked up the reviews for this particular DME supplier and they are consistently bad across Google, Yelp, BBB etc.

Thanks!

LSAT

Re: New CPAP User With Question: Can I “Fire” My Equipment Supplier?

Post by LSAT » Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:20 pm

You need to check with your insurance to see what supplier is in network. Also...What a supplier charges is not what the insurance company pays. Insurance companies are not stupid...they make lots of money. They do not over pay for anything. there are pre determined amounts that the insurance company pays regardless of what they are charged. Many suppliers will exchange masks within a 30 day period....insurance companies will allow a new mask at 3 months.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:36 pm

Is your machine all paid for?
If so, then you can simply go elsewhere.
If the first dealer calls, simply decline to order.
If you are still paying for the machine, you need not use them for anything else.

EJW372

Post by EJW372 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:21 am

No, machine is not paid for until 2/1/22

I’d just rather not deal with this crappy company to get my supplies. So I would just basically ignore them if the prompt me for a supplies re-order?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:34 am

EJW372 wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:21 am
So I would just basically ignore them if the prompt me for a supplies re-order?
Yep. Be sure that they don't try to ship you "auto shipments" though. Some will try to do that to "help you out" when all they are really doing is helping themselves to the cash cow of replacing stuff long before it might need to be replaced.

There is no law that says that you just have to use them at all if you don't want to for anything except the machine purchase.
There is no law that says that you can't use another DME for mask/equipment supplies and have your insurance still pay their share if you wanted to go that way. You would need to get with your insurance company and find another DME that is in their network though. Feel free to tell them why you don't want to do business with the first DME if you wish. You probably won't be the first complaint.

You are certainly free to buy out of pocket anywhere you wish and you can do the math and see if it is a cost effective way to go.
Sometimes with high deductibles or high co pays....it can be cheaper out of pocket or at least a wash and a wash without a hassle is pretty sweet.

In all honesty....you don't even have to use them for your machine purchase since it sounds like it is a rent to own situation and there are ways to get around it but it's a lot of hassle and paperwork and the end result doesn't gain you anything when it comes to the machine except probably a longer rent to own period.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:36 pm

Keep in mind that the costs may have been the same because you may have a deductible. If you've met the deductible for the year, your out of pocket costs may go down for new supplies. So figure that into your analysis.

Also be aware that you will have to pay a new deductible next January for the machine rental. So that should be part of the equation as well when calculating out of pocket costs.

On the other hand, dumping a terrible DME, and going fully out of pocket (which permits YOU to find bargains) is priceless. If you can afford it, it may be worth it to you.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

EJW372

Post by EJW372 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:53 pm

My health insurance plan is a high deductible one unfortunately so I’ll never hit that in a normal year. I’m most likely just going to buy my supplies outside of a DME using my HSA.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:14 pm

EJW372 wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:56 pm
My question is: can I “fire” my DME supplier ?
Depends, if by "fire" you mean "not do any more business with them", then certainly, buy from whoever you want, *when needed*, not on any artificial 'schedule', (the replacement schedule is bullshit).

If by "fire" you mean old rags an accelerant, and then roasting marshmallows by the blaze, that's frowned upon, I recommend against it, no matter how satisfying it might be.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:57 pm

I basically ghosted my first two local DMEs, going elsewhere for what I needed (cpap.com).
The third local DME, I asked to transfer my files to the one I presently use. (Under Medicare)

EJW372

Post by EJW372 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:41 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:57 pm
I basically ghosted my first two local DMEs, going elsewhere for what I needed (cpap.com).
That’s what I plan to do here. I’m finding that eBay, Amazon and CPAP.com will work for my supplies and I won’t be giving this garbage DME who can’t provide even the minimum level of competent customer service any money other than what I owe for the CPAP machine.

SleepGeek

Post by SleepGeek » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:56 pm

EJW372 wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:21 am
No, machine is not paid for until 2/1/22

I’d just rather not deal with this crappy company to get my supplies. So I would just basically ignore them if the prompt me for a supplies re-order?
Stop feeding them - turn it in and buy one from Craigslist - search Beauty + Hlth for the same make & model you have so your filters and water chamber will fit. You get to keep the water chamber.

Just power it on to make sure it works but bring a hose and mask with you to make sure it doesn't smell like smoke.
Last edited by SleepGeek on Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Happiness is being on Dog Slobber pr & zonkers foe list
CrankyGranny is Whale Road + many other ids
They are here to help.
zonkers + palerider aka GrumpyHere wrote: What exactly do you think you're adding to this thread?

dreamingofdreaming

Post by dreamingofdreaming » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:46 pm

EJW372 wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:41 pm
chunkyfrog wrote:
That’s what I plan to do here. I’m finding that eBay, Amazon and CPAP.com will work for my supplies and I won’t be giving this garbage DME who can’t provide even the minimum level of competent customer service any money other than what I owe for the CPAP machine.
You will probably get a better deal going through your in network DME for supplies. My replacement cushion for my mask cost me $8 though my in network DME. Same cushion is $30 with online DME not using insurance. I have a high deductible plan with a HSA. You will see what you need to pay with the EOB from your insurance company.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:55 pm

dreamingofdreaming wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:46 pm
EJW372 wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:41 pm
chunkyfrog wrote:
You will probably get a better deal going through your in network DME for supplies. My replacement cushion for my mask cost me $8 though my in network DME. Same cushion is $30 with online DME not using insurance. I have a high deductible plan with a HSA. You will see what you need to pay with the EOB from your insurance company.
It sounds like he already did the math . . .
And it can work out either way--but now we know why math is taught in school.
Who knew we would get so damn much practice?