Chinstraps

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jcpruitt89

Chinstraps

Post by jcpruitt89 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:04 pm

Hello,

I wanted to talk about chin straps today. I've so wanted my nasal mask to work for me but I constantly deal with mouth leaking. Most of your traditional chin straps all seem to pull the jaw back to the posterior and are inadequate for jaw support. The resmed one I have doesn't work well.

However I have seen a couple different chin straps that seem to have promise. The pap-cap and the Knightsbridge dual band chin strap. Does anyone have experience with either one of these or any others that seem to do a very good job. I've been trying to do mouth tape and it has been ineffective as well.

ChicagoGranny

Re: Chinstraps

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:18 pm

jcpruitt89 wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:04 pm
The resmed one I have doesn't work well.
It seems few people are successful with chinstraps. Even if it holds the jaws shut (unlikely), the lips can part letting pressure escape.
jcpruitt89 wrote:
I've been trying to do mouth tape and it has been ineffective as well.
Somnifix works well for many.
First read: viewtopic/t172378/Sticky--Newbies-PLEAS ... STING.html

Then get a free account: https://home.sleephq.com/

Post links in this thread for members to see and make recommendations.

zonker

Post by zonker » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:36 pm

jcpruitt89 wrote:
Hello,

I wanted to talk about chin straps today. I've so wanted my nasal mask to work for me but I constantly deal with mouth leaking. Most of your traditional chin straps all seem to pull the jaw back to the posterior and are inadequate for jaw support. The resmed one I have doesn't work well.

However I have seen a couple different chin straps that seem to have promise. The pap-cap and the Knightsbridge dual band chin strap. Does anyone have experience with either one of these or any others that seem to do a very good job. I've been trying to do mouth tape and it has been ineffective as well.
may i suggest a firm foam cervical collar?

also, here is what i use instead of tape-

viewtopic/p1089718/viewtopic.php?f=1&t= ... s#p1086296

i modify slightly what jay suggests there, but basically i use the method he describes. i have used collar and the scunci method for years and have had excellent results from them.

good luck!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

muld00n

Post by muld00n » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:23 pm

I have been using this one for about a week. Leak rate dropped significantly, no more dry mouth. Trick is to not over tighten.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08 ... UTF8&psc=1

Good luck!
Steve

KingSnore

Post by KingSnore » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:21 pm

I first tried https://www.cpap.com/productpage/ruby-s ... sion-strap

It was okay, I guess, but not as comfortable as I'd like.

I'm definitely noticing a lower AHI with Pap-Cap and it's more comfortable too. Both are vastly preferable to the mouth tape I tried, bwah

I can't tell you what's gonna work for you though, as many head shapes and sizes as there are. Good luck finding something.

dreamingofdreaming

Post by dreamingofdreaming » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:36 am

I use the Delux style chin strap. The shape of my head has this strap up high, like right above my forehead, so it doesn't pull my jaw back. I also use a bite guard as I was clenching my teeth so hard that my teeth were moving. These two things stop my jaw from dropping and prevent air from bubbling out of my lips.

HeadDoc41

Post by HeadDoc41 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:05 pm

I use both the pap-cap and the Knightsbridge
In my opinion they work better than any other chin strap and I have tried them all

McSleepy

Post by McSleepy » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:18 pm

I use a custom-made (my design) dual-band chinstrap in conjunction with a silicone mouth guard (lower jaw, only), and have no problems with leaking, despite my >20cm IPAP pressure. Air will sometimes slowly break the seal of the laryngeal aperture, causing my mouth to dry out (which is why I use Spry xylitol mints), but it is never enough to get past my lips in a substantial manner.

McSleepy

ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto; Puritan-Bennett Breeze nasal pillow mask; healthy, active, middle-aged man; tall, athletic build; stomach sleeper; on CPAP since 2003; lives @ 5000 ft; surgically-corrected deviated septum and turbinates; regular nasal washes

kteague

Post by kteague » Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:04 am

While you're finding the best strap for you, here's some tips that helped me with air escaping my lips. In the early years I used denture adhesive between my lips, tape on them, a variety of chinstraps - haven't needed anything for years. If you're not a side sleeper, you probably won't find this as helpful.

Think about gravity when you position yourself for sleep.

A firm flat pillow with the face level will stop the jaw from dropping when it relaxes.

Train your tongue to stay suction sealed forward to the roof of the mouth. This one trick changed my mouth breathing experience. If your face is level and the jaw can't drop, the suction should be enough to stay sealed even with relaxation.

Since a tongue relaxed into the airway is a frequent culprit of blockage, again, consider gravity. Side sleeping at the edge of the pillow where it collapses just enough to allow the front of the face to tilt slightly forward will help the tongue relax into the mouth instead of the throat. This will also help keep the seal intact.

Now, if you figure out how to adhere to all this if you are one who changes positions a lot while sleeping, let us know. Best I could do was make the seal effort second nature. I do it at all times, even when awake.

Good luck with things.