I need help analyzing test results without cpap and with cpap.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Cpaptorneke

I need help analyzing test results without cpap and with cpap.

Post by Cpaptorneke » Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:31 am

Hello, I am 23 years old male. I am 5'8 and 155 lbs. I got diagnosed with moderate sleep apnea with AHI of 16.6. I need help analyzing my test results withotu cpap and with cpap. I still can't believe I have moderate sleep apnea as I am pretty fit and lean. I attached test results! Any help would be appreciated. How bad is my sleep apnea? I really hope that CPAP improves quality of my life. Based on test results, do you think I can see significant improvement in my sleep? Are my test results legit? Maybe I don't want to believe I have sleep apnea and have to use CPAP for rest of my life as I am very young. Thank you so much.
Attachments
CPAP Titration .jpg
CPAP Titration .jpg (169.24 KiB) Viewed 628 times
Without CPAP.jpg
Without CPAP.jpg (177.02 KiB) Viewed 628 times
Without Cpap 2.jpg
Without Cpap 2.jpg (243.22 KiB) Viewed 628 times
Last edited by Cpaptorneke on Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cpaptorneke

Re: I need help analyzing test results without cpap and with cpap.

Post by Cpaptorneke » Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:33 am

I attached CPAP titration test 2.
Attachments
CPAP Titration 2.jpg
CPAP Titration 2.jpg (243.58 KiB) Viewed 627 times

greatunclebill

Post by greatunclebill » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:06 pm

Young has nothing to do with this other than you'll feel better for alot more years because it was caught alot earlier than most people. You have sleep apnea. That is not in question. If you accept the fact that you have it and realize that the cpap saves lives and will extend yours, you will have an easier time adapting to life as a hosehead. Good luck.

please don't ask me to try nasal. i'm a full face person.
the avatar is Rocco, my Lhasa Apso. Number one "Bama fan. 18 championships and counting.
Life member VFW Post 4328 Alabama
MSgt USAF (E-7) medic Retired 1968-1990

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:06 pm

What model of which machine do you have? Pressure settings? Mask?

We can tell a lot more re your sleep now if you post results from overnights in this thread with Oscar (see top of pg) as per instructions and can then advise if you need something tweaked.

How can we analyze sleep results with nothing to go on? What happened in the test doesn't count and wouldn't have properly reproduced a regular night's sleep in your home.

MidearedCat

Post by MidearedCat » Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:45 am

Cpaptorneke wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:31 am
Hello, I am 23 years old male. I am 5'8 and 155 lbs. I got diagnosed with moderate sleep apnea with AHI of 16.6. I need help analyzing my test results withotu cpap and with cpap. I still can't believe I have moderate sleep apnea as I am pretty fit and lean. I attached test results! Any help would be appreciated. How bad is my sleep apnea? I really hope that CPAP improves quality of my life. Based on test results, do you think I can see significant improvement in my sleep? Are my test results legit? Maybe I don't want to believe I have sleep apnea and have to use CPAP for rest of my life as I am very young. Thank you so much.
Hello! I used to have sleep apnea but I thought then that it was just a minor diversion caused excessive training. At first place I, being a fit but not a young man, decided to enlarge my endurance for some martial sport. In addition to training 3 times a week which I did for years I tried walking, jogging, Scandinavian sticks, weight adjustment for a few kilos, Qi Gong, vitamin therapy, all did nothing. Then I bump into Buteyko Method of breathing. There’s tons of literature on the Net, so I started employ the method myself. Endurance gradually went up and several inconveniences vanished as well: tonsillitis which I had form my childhood, night thirst, low resistance to respiratory illnesses and night apnea. Before that I awaked in the first part of night gasping for air almost every night. I thought that it was just overarousal of nervous system and training effect. I’ve never done any somnology test, so I do not know the extent of my apnea. Ironically, I knew what it was only after it’s gone. So, it can be cured by my experience but only after normalizing the breathing. Good luck to you!

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:07 am

Ummm - Buteyko has come up many times over many years (do a search on the forum) and found to not be any good answer for apnea, if anything else either. It might be a nice way to breathe for some people, but not seen as help for apnea. If it was the answer to apnea, this forum would not have to exist. And interestingly the poster just prior to this has admitted to not being retested, so does not 'know' that his apnea is actually gone at all, just assumed it.

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:59 am

You had a gold-standard test, and the titration showed a marked reduction in hypopneas and some reduction in leg movements, which were the two most prominent problems flagged in the test. You had more non-specific arousals during the titration, which might reflect a response to the novel experience of using CPAP.

With time, you'll start thinking of CPAP as something like using eyeglasses. Yes, you wish you didn't need to, but it's just one of those things you do to help yourself function well.

I bet you feel better with CPAP -- maybe not at first, because you may need some time to get used to it, but with clear benefits as you adapt.

Have you had any discussion of what kind of machine you'll be getting? A lot of people here would recommend the ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset (ideally the For Her model, which has an extra mode of operation that both men and women may find it useful). It has a nimble algorithm and breathes with you very naturally when you use the option of a lower pressure for exhalation.

If your doctor and insurance will allow it, that would be a good way to go. If the DME (Durable Medical Equipment provider) doesn't carry ResMed products, try another DME if you can.
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

booksfan

Post by booksfan » Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:39 am

What Miss Emerita said.

Bottom line, age and body composition/size do not determine whether or not you have sleep apnea, as there are even pediatric sleep apnea patients!

She is also correct in her recommendation of machine. Do not be put off by the For Her moniker. As she said, it adds another algorithm and you might choose to use it. Better to have all the options available to you. Likely you will find the most...challenging...part will be finding the mask that works best for YOU. That seems to be the case for many of us here. (It certainly was for me! :lol: ) Persevere and ask for assistance and advice here. There is a wealth of experience and wisdom here, and an abdundance of willingness to help others!

Mask: Bleep Eclipse/Halos
Machine: ResMed AirSense 11 AutoSet