Does Airfit F30 / F30i clamp nose in any way ?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
chuck7786

Does Airfit F30 / F30i clamp nose in any way ?

Post by chuck7786 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:39 am

Hi,

I just joined and wanted to get a little info before making my first purchase. I often get congested during hayfever season no matter how many antihistamines I take.

Looking at the shape of the masks, it seems like the nose sinks in and sits on a cushion. Is there any restriction or even slight clamping around the nose? I suspect there might be to a degree in order to prevent leaks?

Just trying to avoid this as I already am a bit congested. I prefer breathing through my nose but getting a full cover just in case I breathe a bit through the mouth.

May thanks
Started using APAP 5/07/2021

jimbud

Re: Does Airfit F30 / F30i clamp nose in any way ?

Post by jimbud » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:39 pm

The cushion inflates to whatever your therapy pressure is (cm's of pressure). Not much.
No one on here knows how much clamping you can tolerate.
There are masks that do not clamp at all. Might give one of those a try.

JPB

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:51 pm

I have always found Nasal Pillows better when congested, compared to Nasal or Full-face masks.

Many Nasal and FF masks put pressure on the bridge of the nose.

Since moving away from the N20 Nasal mask and using the P10 and P30i Nasal Pillows, I've found they inflate my passages and cut through any congestion.

zonker

Post by zonker » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:21 pm

Dog Slobber wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:51 pm
I have always found Nasal Pillows better when congested, compared to Nasal or Full-face masks.

Since moving away from the N20 Nasal mask and using the P10 and P30i Nasal Pillows, I've found they inflate my passages and cut through any congestion.
+1
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:42 pm

chuck7786 wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:39 am
Is there any restriction or even slight clamping around the nose?
With the ResMed F30i, there is some restriction near the bottom of the nose. It doesn't reach up as far as the inferior turbinate, so it shouldn't affect airflow when a person is congested. However, if you are sensitive to the idea or the feel of the mask, this mask is probably not a good choice.

A similar mask is the Respironics DreamWear FFM. I use this mask and it does not come up as far on the end of the nose as the F30i. It doesn't interfere with airflow when a person is congested. However, the same caution applies.

Similar to these two masks is the Innomed Hybrid FFM. Instead of slots underneath the nose, it has actual pillows - yeah! I used this mask for many years. However, the company has never upgraded the mask and headgear. As long as I used it, it was always difficult to adjust properly. Once adjusted,it works very well. The headgear is also heavy, the headgear clips are outdated, and the footprint of the mask is larger than the two aforementioned masks.

I would love to see Respironics design a mask like the DreamWear FFM that has nasal pillows sitting on the top of the mouthpiece instead of a slot. In the meantime, I rotate between the DreamWear FFM and the Amara View FFM.

jimbud

Post by jimbud » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:51 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:42 pm
I would love to see Respironics design a mask like the DreamWear FFM that has nasal pillows sitting on the top of the mouthpiece instead of a slot.
+1 :wink:

JPB

chuck7786

Post by chuck7786 » Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:50 am

Dog Slobber wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:51 pm

Thanks, I got the P30i and found it very comfortable from day 1. As you say it cuts through congestion very well. I have to add that I'm self-diagnosed, I just could not do a sleep study with all the stuff on me.
I'm just 5 days in and averaging about 4-7 hours of sleep with it on before getting out of bed. So far even after a night of 7 hrs of sleep, I don't feel fully refreshed, I don't have the extreme daytime sleepiness that I had before
but I still have some symptoms. Just waiting for my memory card to arrive through the post before I can post my sleep report but what I can share is My AHI is 1.3 Total AI is 1.3 Central AI is 1.1. Auto pressure is around 6.7 -7

I know it's early days, but does it just take a while for the body to get used to sleeping with the aid of CPAP before you get the benefits?
Started using APAP 5/07/2021

zonker

Post by zonker » Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:44 am

chuck7786 wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:50 am

I know it's early days, but does it just take a while for the body to get used to sleeping with the aid of CPAP before you get the benefits?
yes. while that's a curt answer, it's the truth.

i wish i could tell you exactly when you'll feel all those good results, but i can't. we are all very different individuals and therefor take different amounts of time to get to the results we want.

and it will most likely be a gradual thing. you aren't going to wake up one day, bright eyed and bushy tailed.

but you'll get there. be as patient as you can.

good luck!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

plakky

Post by plakky » Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:18 pm

I've used the F30i and am currently using the N30i (with the newer softer cushion). I've found both to be comfortable, but definitely am aware they are pretty narrow on the sides of my nostrils and do find myself adjusting them during the night to not feel blocked at all. The F30i has a wide size that would maybe be best, but I did have to scissor off a sliver on each nasal hole to feel like I was getting air all the time without constant adjusting. Much as I want to vouch for them, if you have congestion issues and are focused on that, I think these masks might bother you. Best thing would be if you could try them on and see for yourself. Dreamwear is great and softer/roomier if you don't get too much leakage.

Morgoth

Post by Morgoth » Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:39 pm

Hmm, I'm using F30i at the moment, I'm falling into M cushion size, and while my subjective feeling is that the nostril holes are a bit smaller than they should be (at least for my nostrils) and that's why I'll try W cushion as well, it works great for me, on the other hand the only mask I tried before was Amara Fullface. It happens from time to time that I sniff in silicon, the small piece that separate nostrils sometimes moves left-or right or the nostril holes don't get aligned with my nostrils properly... But once I find the right position under the nose I breathe like a king ! I always had nasal congestion, vasomotor and alergic rhinitis, always a problem when I lay down, always was a mouth-breather but right now I actually breathe on my nose while sleeping with f30i, and I'm waking up with my mouth closed, which is a good sign... Every time I take off the mask when I wake up, I feel how pleasing is to breathe threw the nose with it...

But I if they made F30i with nasal pillows instead, I'll buy it right away... I would like if I could just install some pipes into nostrils and breathe like that :lol: :lol: :lol:

Slight off topic, has some of you guys been using F&P Vitera? While the only over the bridge fullface mask I've been using was Amara, Visera looks nice to me, thick cushion, and that spring at the nose bridge looks nice.

plakky

Post by plakky » Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:06 pm

Morgoth wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:39 pm
I always had nasal congestion, vasomotor and alergic rhinitis, always a problem when I lay down, always was a mouth-breather but right now I actually breathe on my nose while sleeping with f30i, and I'm waking up with my mouth closed, which is a good sign... Every time I take off the mask when I wake up, I feel how pleasing is to breathe threw the nose with it...
As a mouth breather myself, I had the same (new) experience of being able to breathe through my nose with my mouth closed while using the F30i, so tried the N30i and found I am able to use it with my mouth closed also. (Using flonase and saline solution also helped.) I think the nasal section of the F30i mask is slightly larger (wider) - and therefore more comfortable - than the N30i (both medium in my case), and I like the feeling of fresh air circulating throughout the larger F30i mask. But the minimalism of the N30i wins out in my case. Both are great masks and definitely worth trying in my opinion.

Morgoth

Post by Morgoth » Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:42 pm

plakky wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:06 pm
Morgoth wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:39 pm
I always had nasal congestion, vasomotor and alergic rhinitis, always a problem when I lay down, always was a mouth-breather but right now I actually breathe on my nose while sleeping with f30i, and I'm waking up with my mouth closed, which is a good sign... Every time I take off the mask when I wake up, I feel how pleasing is to breathe threw the nose with it...
As a mouth breather myself, I had the same (new) experience of being able to breathe through my nose with my mouth closed while using the F30i, so tried the N30i and found I am able to use it with my mouth closed also. (Using flonase and saline solution also helped.) I think the nasal section of the F30i mask is slightly larger (wider) - and therefore more comfortable - than the N30i (both medium in my case), and I like the feeling of fresh air circulating throughout the larger F30i mask. But the minimalism of the N30i wins out in my case. Both are great masks and definitely worth trying in my opinion.

Hmm, then I should try some nasal mask. I tried Dreamwear Nasal Mask, and I couldn't keep my mouth shut

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:57 pm

jimbud wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:51 pm
ChicagoGranny wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:42 pm
I would love to see Respironics design a mask like the DreamWear FFM that has nasal pillows sitting on the top of the mouthpiece instead of a slot.
+1 :wink:

JPB
Aaah, Respironics doing something to please the customer--that's a good one.