Phillips / Philips Respironics recent recall notice discussion thread

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: Sticky: Phillips Respironics recent recall notice discussion thread

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:53 pm

Who cares?--with the paywall encryption, it's nothing but a BRICK.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:14 pm

Medic856 wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:33 am
Resmed 10. See my other post for more info. They use the same foam as Phillips. I'm sure this has been great for my lungs. :roll:
No they don't.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:15 pm

Medic856 wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:51 am
Chill. my error.
Stupid posts aren't met with 'chill' here.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

zaban3

Post by zaban3 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:40 am

Will Medicare cover the cost of a new machine. My old one is less than 5 years old, but was bought before I was on Medicare. I am currently using a borrowed Fisher and Paykel ICON APAP which is working “okay” but not as comfortable as my Dreamstation.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:57 am

zaban3 wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:40 am
Will Medicare cover the cost of a new machine. My old one is less than 5 years old, but was bought before I was on Medicare. I am currently using a borrowed Fisher and Paykel ICON APAP which is working “okay” but not as comfortable as my Dreamstation.
Medicare does not consider previously acquired machines.
You only need a prescription and a written statement from your doctor that you
use a cpap and benefit from it.
You are in an enviable position--go forth and score that good machine!
Just find the Medicare providers, and determine which ones will sell you the machine
you prefer. [Hint--I recommend Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset or Autoset for her]

Sleep2Dream

Post by Sleep2Dream » Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:57 am

chunkyfrog wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:57 am

Just find the Medicare providers, and determine which ones will sell you the machine
you prefer. [Hint--I recommend Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset or Autoset for her]
When I called my DME (not Medicare; just regular insurance), they told me that for a while now, the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset has been their default machine. So I was happy about that, because that's what I was asking them for. But now they're having trouble getting enough of them. The folks at Resmed must be laughing their way to the bank.
Mask: ResMed N30i Nasal Cushion
Home Machine: ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset
Travel Machine: Z2 Auto

metaltech

Post by metaltech » Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:44 pm

I have had issues sleeping without bipap. I bought the bacterial filters. Should that help or am I still at risk if I started using my machine again?

Additional Comments: Dream station bipap 30 s/t . Not listed in equipment. Using Oscar software

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:44 pm

Opinions on the effectiveness of the AB filters vary.
Within the period where gases are an issue--not considered useful.
Later on, to stop particles, probably a good idea, but only on a temporary basis.
Best to stop using the junk machines ASAP.

Captain_Midnight

Post by Captain_Midnight » Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:53 pm

SusanWink wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:35 pm
Captain_Midnight wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:34 pm

Well, I happen to have an acquaintance with the science of Toxicology, and I agree with your point CG.

Wondering if you’ve had a chance to read everything and reach any conclusions.

Maybe your knowledge of toxicology will provide an answer to a question about the offgassing issue. Can there be offgassing with no evidence of particles? Could particles be a clue that offgassing is likely?

Thank you!!

At this point, I have only more questions. I'm reluctant to write my suspicions because I'd hate for someone to make a bad decision based on my thoughts which are currently based on too little info. Perhaps PR will be more forthcoming in the reasonably near future. (If they have, I've somehow missed it. Full disclosure, I haven't read down the thread as of yet.)

I do worry about any suggestion to stop using the PR equipment as what is the competing risk if there is no alternative machine for a patient to use in the interim? I'd call my doc for a medical opinion on this one. And, I would not hesitate to get med opinions (including second opinions) on an urgent basis.

Deborah K.

Post by Deborah K. » Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:45 pm

zaban3 wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:40 am
We have only been on a Medicare Advantage insurance plan since the beginning of July. I called my insurer, and they told me that yes, Medicare will pay for a new machine because of the recall, regardless of the age of your Philips machine. Who would have guessed that being on Medicare would be an advantage for us? New Resmed's are on order for both my husband and me. We are pretty happy! :D
Machine: Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset For Her
Mask: Bleep Dreamport mask system

SleepyCPAP

Post by SleepyCPAP » Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:10 am

metaltech wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:44 pm
I have had issues sleeping without bipap. I bought the bacterial filters. Should that help or am I still at risk if I started using my machine again?
Be reassured. Testing was done on the benefit of the filters for particles!

From what I read it _will_ make a difference in protecting you from particles. Philips Respironics’ study showed most particle sizes are so big they will be caught in the filter. The use of the filter is simple, not expensive, Ok’d in the provider manual, and what is recommended in recall instructions for folks on higher level machines by the company. So it should be fine. If you notice it changing your bipap therapy, you are here on CpapTalk and can get advice, as well as checking with your doctor about adjustments.

A joint statement by Canadian medical organizations came out ten days ago (“Position Statement from the Canadian Thoracic Society, Canadian Sleep Society and the Canadian Society of Respiratory Therapists - Phillips Respironics Device Recall”, I saw it linked in another online forum. Here is one link:
https://cts-sct.ca/wp-content/uploads/2 ... 9_2021.pdf

Unlike the US, other countries (including Australia) are getting advice to seek your doctor’s advice on what’s best for your situation.
https://www.tga.gov.au/alert/philips-re ... entilators
Do not stop using your device without speaking to your physician or care provider. Stopping treatment suddenly could have an immediate and detrimental effect on your health…
If your device is an affected CPAP or bi-Level PAP unit
Please make an appointment with your physician or care provider before making any changes to your prescribed therapy. Together with your physician, determine if the benefit of continuing therapy with your device outweighs the risks identified and discuss alternative long-term therapy options.
Here is the joint statement regarding choices of what to do if you use a recalled machine. The use of a filter was already mentioned earlier, so isn’t repeated here:
• Obtaining a CPAP or Bi-Level device not subject to recall, while continuing the recalled device until that new device becomes available. The new device should be Health Canada approved, preferably from a company that has verified the safety of their products with respect to the recall.
• Considering alternatives to CPAP (e.g., dental appliances in patients with mild/moderate sleep apnea, positional therapy). Close follow-up is required if CPAP is discontinued.
• Continuing the recalled device until replaced/repaired by the manufacturer. The decision to continue using a recalled device for a prolonged time period needs to be individualized after discussion between the patient and physician, and documented in the record. These patients need to be closely monitored for possible symptoms from foam degradation products.
Patients with symptoms that could represent irritation from foam degradation should be evaluated as soon as possible by a physician so that a clinical decision can be made promptly. For patients in whom therapy has been interrupted due to symptoms believed to be due to irritation from foam degradation, close follow-up should be instituted to assess for progression/resolution of these symptoms.
I’ve contacted my doctor and said “I’ve got severe Obstructive Sleep Apnea without treatment, so I’m not going to stop, but I am going to put a bio filter between the machine and the hose and monitor for particles.” My doctor said that was appropriate. I’m going to use my PRS1 until the ResMed AirSense 11 is out, and confirmed to work with OSCAR. I’ve registered my two PRS1 machines with Philips and hope for a way to get the foam replaced, even if it is after my new purchase, to keep as backups.

I did not tell the doctor that I also laid down a carefully cut piece of parchment paper (cookie sheet baking stuff, food safe, not bothered by high temps) over the foam in both my machines too. That should cut down on fumes and also any foam bits. I’m using System One CPAPs, so the foam is the “wall-to-wall carpet floor” of my machine, a bit easier to deal with compared to the DreamStation. I’m also not using my backup/travel CPAP (my oldest System One) because I see the foam is indeed deteriorating (probably from having been in the trunk of my car - high temps are a cause of foam deterioration).

-- SleepyCPAP
Sleep study in 2010 (11cm CPAP). Pillows (Swift FX>TAP PAP >Bleep). PRS1 “Pro” 450/460 until recall, now Aircurve 10 VAuto. Tape mouth. Palatal Prolapse solved by AlaxoStent & VAuto EPAP 4cm, PS 3.6cm = 0.0 AHI

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:10 am

The baking parchment worries me, as it could fold over and obstruct airflow.
I would use fine furnace filter material--disassembly is a bear--but worth it.

NadiaK

Post by NadiaK » Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:54 pm

Hello everyone. I was not aware of the recall until yesterday. I was looking at youtube and came across a video someone posted. I immediately registered my unit with Philips and put a call in to my doctor. She told me to continue using the machine. I also called the provider where I got the machine from and all I got was a recording telling me to contact my doctor and that they have no loaner machines of any kind. I use the System One Remstar Plus C-Flex machine and have had it for 7 years now. I do not use an ozone machine.
After seeing some video's of others opening up their machines and removing the foam, I decided that was what I was going to do. My hubby took apart the machine and got the foam out. The foam inside was like brand new All intact with no missing pieces and totally dry and soft to the touch. He vacuumed the machine all out and put it back together. I have attached a picture so everyone can see what good condition the foam is in. I am so glad I had my hubby take it apart as now I feel so much better about using it.

cpap foam.jpg
cpap foam.jpg (162.56 KiB) Viewed 1513 times

mmeisler

Post by mmeisler » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:23 pm

I am interested if anyone has thoughts regarding the DME company continuing to charge a rental fee for a machine that cannot be used. I bought a new one out of pocket with a diferent company. These guys claim the insurance company told them to continue billing. Makes no sense to me. At least suspend payments until the machine becomes useable.

stevenal

Post by stevenal » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:26 pm

NadiaK,
I saw the video. I have a hard time accepting this re-engineering. The device was designed with foam as the floor of the air passageway. Removal of this floor must certainly alter things. Better to replace the foam or line it with parchment as was suggested above.
AirSence 10 Autoset, Dreamstation 2 backup, Swift FX, Z1 for travel.