Pressure in ears .... E tubes?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Delta_Dave

Pressure in ears .... E tubes?

Post by Delta_Dave » Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:13 pm

I've been using CPAP for 4-5 years. I started having an issue a few months ago where air is getting forced into my ears. I have lowered my pressure down to 7-8 to keep the pressure in my ears down. Now I'm having terrible sleep and I'm tired all the time. I saw an ENT a few weeks ago and the ENT suggested putting a tube in my eardrum and any pressure from the machine could get released. Has anyone had this issue or tubes put in?

rick blaine

Re: Pressure in ears .... E tubes?

Post by rick blaine » Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:47 pm

The little tube the ENT may be thinking of is called a 'grommet', and the condition it is often fitted for, particularly in children, is called 'glue ear', the glue being a mixture of sweat-like liquid and ear wax.

Air being blown along your eustachian tube is a side effect of sleep apnea treatment, and the suggested explanation is that the incoming air provokes the production of the liquid and of extra wax.

You might have a suitable medical person take a look at your ears. The build up of 'glue' sometimes becomes infected. The fitting of a grommet prevents that, and also allows any trapped air tio escape.

Delta_Dave

Post by Delta_Dave » Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:15 pm

Thanks Rick. Yes, I have read about it. I’m not sure if I have fluid. Her recommendation was putting in a grommet for air to release. Tinnitus also started several months ago with this “pressure” issue. My hearing was tested and they say I have some high frequency hearing loss. I’m stuck between ineffective therapy or ear pressure and pain.

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:10 pm

Before considering adding a tube, ask to try acetic acid (it's a prescription level stuff) for a month. It eliminated the buildup that I had and all was well for that issue. I can't help on the tinnitus - I have it, but had it long before cpap.

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)