Who Keeps A Backup CPAP Machine?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
EJW372

Who Keeps A Backup CPAP Machine?

Post by EJW372 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:47 pm

So last weekend I get a call from my father in law who also uses a ResMed machine, that his quit working. He’s been using one for 5-6 years now and is to the point where he CANNOT sleep without it. I told him that the power supplies sometimes go bad and he could try using my power supply to test that. The problem was he was away for the weekend and ended up not having it until Monday or Tuesday when his DME did an emergency swap out.

(I no longer have a CPAP through a DME, bought my own)

It got me to thinking that I’d better get a backup machine even though mine is brand new as of May. Found a refurb ResMed AirSense AutoSet 10 online for $350 and grabbed it. Arrived today and looks literally brand-new and when I fired it up to see run hours, here I’m expecting a couple thousand at least and it’s got 226 total hours. Wow, so now I’m set for a long time now and if one craps out I can just put the other one in service.

Anyone else here have a backup machine?

nana of 3

Re: Who Keeps A Backup CPAP Machine?

Post by nana of 3 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:01 pm

Yup! I have a couple. Oldest is a F&P brick (12 years old)that I have backup power (battery) for, so have to keep that one, then I have my PR system one 60 series 5 years old which is now on PRs recall list. Lastly my Resmed Airsense Autoset that I bought from LSAT a year ago. When I bought the Resmed, I chucked an M series out....way too many hours on that baby :wink:
We old folks tend to hang on to stuff......... JUST IN CASE......... Im pretty sure our penchant for hanging on to stuff is because we grew up with nothing and dont want to get rid of our extra STUFF :roll: :roll:

Always have a back up of those things that you need.

Cheers
Nan

Resmed Airsence 10 autoset and Bleep Dreamport mask

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:02 pm

Yes.

And it's a good idea to have the same device as a backup. This way you can configure them identically and do some part swapping in case of failure.

Right now, my spare AirCurve 10 VAuto, is sitting in it's travel bag, properly configured with a mask ready to step in.

Spare device, spare hose, spare mask, spare humidifier, battery box.

zonker

Post by zonker » Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:03 pm

ME!

this stuff has a tendency to fail on a friday night of a three day weekend.

i ain't temptin' fate!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:04 pm

My wife and I both use the same model machine, and we each have a spare machine. I found her spare here on the forum almost four years ago. It was brand new and still in the ResMed shipping box and was going to be my spare machine. A year after I bought it, my wife was diagnosed with sleep apnea. She used his machine for three months while they decided she could get by with a bi-level machine and would not need an ASV. When she got her machine through the insurance, this machine became her spare. My spare, I found on Facebook Marketplace. It had less than 125 hours on it. The seller said he had just gotten the machine when he had to change medical insurance. His new insurance purchased him a new machine, and the old insurance did not want want the old machine. I gladly purchased it for $200. We keep at least two spares of everything on hand.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:20 pm

I replaced my Autoset for her a year ago, but have kept the old one (identical).
It still runs, but not as quiet--and the data sometimes drops out.
OK for an emergency.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:38 pm

EJW372 wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:47 pm
So last weekend I get a call from my father in law who also uses a ResMed machine, that his quit working. He’s been using one for 5-6 years now and is to the point where he CANNOT sleep without it. I told him that the power supplies sometimes go bad and he could try using my power supply to test that. The problem was he was away for the weekend and ended up not having it until Monday or Tuesday when his DME did an emergency swap out.

(I no longer have a CPAP through a DME, bought my own)

It got me to thinking that I’d better get a backup machine even though mine is brand new as of May. Found a refurb ResMed AirSense AutoSet 10 online for $350 and grabbed it. Arrived today and looks literally brand-new and when I fired it up to see run hours, here I’m expecting a couple thousand at least and it’s got 226 total hours. Wow, so now I’m set for a long time now and if one craps out I can just put the other one in service.

Anyone else here have a backup machine?
Yup.
MANY!!! (listed in my profile)

Never gonna be without one.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Woody

Post by Woody » Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:20 am

I have a Dreamstation apap and a System 1 Bipap and as both of them fall under that recall
I will just pull out my Resmed S9. Well isn't having a backup great or in my case 2 backups.

Additional Comments: SleapyHead software

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:19 pm

Anybody dim enough to have a backup noclean, much less one
--just as well hop off the roof.

reecemj

Post by reecemj » Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:54 pm

Using my backup Resmed now . Auto set 10 making whinnying nose. It’s last than 2 years old. now I can’t find the receipt. :(

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:33 pm

reecemj wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:54 pm
Using my backup Resmed now . Auto set 10 making whinnying nose. It’s last than 2 years old. now I can’t find the receipt. :(
If you bought it from a registered Resmed dealer, your serial number is on record with Resmed.
Be sure you checked the seal on the humidifier and the placement of the air filter.

Bubba in NC

Post by Bubba in NC » Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:57 am

I picked up a spare ResMed Airsense Autoset with less than an hour on it for a few hundred bucks off of craigslist a few years ago. Too good a deal to turn down. Since then I picked up a AirMini (pretty heavily discounted during Covid when nobody was traveling) for travel also. I'm due for a new machine under insurance guidelines and will probably get an Airsense 11 when they are available unless the reviews here are really bad. I buy the other stuff (hoses,tanks,filters,etc.)at the allowed intervals (which are more than generous)' until I have at least one backup of everything. It's all stacked up in the bedroom closet along with my power backup deep cycle and my small travel batteries, converters, etc.

I'm not taking any chances..
ResMed Airsense 11
ResMed P10 nasal pillow mask

CaptainRaven40

Post by CaptainRaven40 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:04 am

I keep a backup. I use a resmed 10 autoset and have another one of those as a backup. I also have a resmed s8 as a backup to that.

booksfan

Post by booksfan » Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:31 pm

I bought an AirMini to use for travel. I figure that is my backup until I get my next machine in another year and a half, then my AirSense 10 Autoset for Her (home machine I use daily) will become my backup.

Mask: Bleep Eclipse/Halos
Machine: ResMed AirSense 11 AutoSet