Emergency Battery Back Up

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
babydinosnoreless

Emergency Battery Back Up

Post by babydinosnoreless » Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:00 pm

I've read through captian loki's thread and it sounds like the deep cycle scooter batteries are the way to go. My question is with the price of the portable power stations having come down so much is it still the recommended way to go or would buying one of these 24 volt power stations w the solar panels be a better option. I want a back up if we start having power outages for home but also something that would work for rv type camping. I have a power supply thing now but it beeps when the power goes out. Its not something that would get used often. We have not had a power outage for more than an hour since we've lived here but with the extreme drought and high temps and fires everywhere we figure its better to be prepared.

wm_hess

Re: Emergency Battery Back Up

Post by wm_hess » Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:07 am

babydinosnoreless wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:00 pm
I've read through captian loki's thread and it sounds like the deep cycle scooter batteries are the way to go. My question is with the price of the portable power stations having come down so much is it still the recommended way to go or would buying one of these 24 volt power stations w the solar panels be a better option. I want a back up if we start having power outages for home but also something that would work for rv type camping. I have a power supply thing now but it beeps when the power goes out. Its not something that would get used often. We have not had a power outage for more than an hour since we've lived here but with the extreme drought and high temps and fires everywhere we figure its better to be prepared.
Dollar for dollar, a scooter battery is significantly cheaper that the travel batteries . The cheapest battery I saw at our sponsor is the Freedom Battery for about 328$. That will get you 1-2 nights usage. This also will provide you with the appropriate cable to use. Using a U1 battery referenced in Cap'n Loki's thread is around 65$ at amazon and would net you 3-4 night usage. You would also need to purchase a DC adapter for your particular cpap device.

Usage is a guess though, as I don't know what machine and pressures you're using. Weight wise though the Freedom Battery is significantly lighter and more 'mobile' is you need to evacuate due to fires. As for RV camping, do you already have an RV? Does it already have it's own battery system, and 'cigarette lighter' adapters in the living area? I'm thinking if you already have a battery for the living area, you may not need to transport a battery with you while camping. You may need to lay down an extension cord (Amazon, 25ft, 19$) from the receptacle to the sleeping area, but that's what roughing it is all about :) I keep mentioning the cigarette lighter adapter because it is more efficient (dc battery to dc cpap device) versus converting a battery current (DC) to a normal 120V (AC) current and then back to a DC current for your cpap device.

I have both types of battery systems. The older system is the Freedom Battery system, and I use that with my travel cpap system when I go visit family or somewhere where an outlet might not be available. I am not anticipating anything more than a 1-2 night lack of power at worst. For my home, I have my cpap machine on a rolling trolley with a deep cycle marine batter so I can easily wheel it from my bedroom to the recliner to evaluate movies for their audio content (i.e. eyes closed, supine). When I roll it out, I don't have to worry about plugging it into a wall outlet, and I can use it as a power source for almost a week if needed.

Sorry I can't give you a 1 size fits all answer but hopefully it gives you more information to help you make your decision.

-Bill

babydinosnoreless

Post by babydinosnoreless » Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:09 am

Thank you for the information. Very helpful. :). I am more worried about rolling blackouts than actual evacuation as we are down in the phoenix area where there isn't anything to burn. But the high temps and the fires are putting a lot of stress on our grid. We do not currently have an rv as we sold our last one but I am hopeful to one day be a snow bird and do some traveling. I wanted to get something that would be useful in the future.

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:41 am

I keep a battery power-station for power failures or planned outages.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/moto ... 2014p.html

I'm not sure why you want a 24 volt battery, although ResMed's draw 24 volts, you will need a specialized cable. I think you're better off with 12 volt and then using the ResMed DC-DC converter.

I've had to use it once.

There was a planned overnight power outage in my Condo.
  • A few nights before the outage I ran off the battery, while it was still trickle charging, to test the device on DC with DC-DC cable
  • The following night, I ran off the battery, without being plugged in to ensure I had a full nights capacity.
  • I then went a few nights on AC to ensure I was fully charged.
    The night of the power outage went well. I kept the battery on trickle charge, no issues when the power went out, and the power was back on when I woke up in the morning. I even used my humidifier

babydinosnoreless

Post by babydinosnoreless » Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:07 pm

I thought I needed a 24 volt. Guess I am confused. This is what we were looking at.

AIMTOM 300W Portable Power Station SPS-300 with 60W Folding Solar Panel ASP-60 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CCJVZZL/re ... UTF8&psc=1

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:32 pm

babydinosnoreless wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:07 pm
I thought I needed a 24 volt. Guess I am confused. This is what we were looking at.

AIMTOM 300W Portable Power Station SPS-300 with 60W Folding Solar Panel ASP-60 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CCJVZZL/re ... UTF8&psc=1
That one has both 12 and 24 volt.

There are *some* 24 volt battery boxes for the ResMed Air 10, they will come with a specialty cable. But 12 volt with the standard cigarette adapter, with the ResMed DC-DC converter and you're good.

recipefordisaster

Post by recipefordisaster » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:18 am

babydinosnoreless wrote:

Could I run TWO AirSense 10s off of this? I’d just need 2 DC cables?

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:34 am

recipefordisaster wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:18 am
babydinosnoreless wrote:

Could I run TWO AirSense 10s off of this? I’d just need 2 DC cables?
There is only one 12 volt cigarette lighter, and two would go through the battery twice as fast.

recipefordisaster

Post by recipefordisaster » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:03 am

Thanks. Hmm. I really want simple and plug and play, but two of these is a bit prohibitive.

babydinosnoreless

Post by babydinosnoreless » Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:27 pm

"I'm not sure why you want a 24 volt battery, although ResMed's draw 24 volts, you will need a specialized cable".

Because converting from 12 to 24 draws more energy. Isn't it better not to lose that battery life? Is that specialized cable expensive?

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:36 pm

babydinosnoreless wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:27 pm
"I'm not sure why you want a 24 volt battery, although ResMed's draw 24 volts, you will need a specialized cable".

Because converting from 12 to 24 draws more energy. Isn't it better not to lose that battery life? Is that specialized cable expensive?
I'm not sure you can buy the required cable by itself. It's sold with batteries designed specifically for AirSense 10's.

babydinosnoreless

Post by babydinosnoreless » Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:48 pm

Oooh. Didn't know that. Hubby can build cables but I would need the end connector he was in airforce avionics then automotive test engineering for years so has lots of experience working with cables and strain gages and all that stuff I don't understand. Lol.

SAG

Post by SAG » Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:24 pm

Paraphrasing Ghandi - be the change you wish to see in the world.
Paraphrasing JohnnyGoodman - Beware the person who wishes to legislate the morality and the behavior of his neighbor.
https://cutt.ly/GbE7ltf