Using CPAP in Hospital in the COVOD and post-COVID world

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
D.H.

Using CPAP in Hospital in the COVOD and post-COVID world

Post by D.H. » Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:11 pm

The topic of whether you can bring your own CPAP to a hospital (for both planned and unplanned visits) was already discussed at some length. However, most of these discussions predate the pandemic.

The pandemic raises some new questions.

The first one is a fear that all this "blowing" can spread the virus much more quickly and much further than ordinary breathing. This is exacerbated by the fact that if you're wearing a CPAP mask, you're probably not also wearing a COVID-19 mask.

The second one is the availability of hospital provided equipment. CPAPs may have been repurposed as ventilators and thus not available for the treatment of Sleep Apnea. Also, the hospital supply chain in general is under stress, which could also make it hard to get a hospital provided CPAP.

Last edited by D.H. on Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SeekSleep

Re: Using CPAP in Hospital in the COVOD and post-COVID world

Post by SeekSleep » Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:15 pm

I had to go in for an elective surgery a few months back that had been put on hold due to Covid. The plan was to start the surgery laparoscopically initially but it was expected they would have to open me up with a potential stay for up to a week. My CPAP was part of the discussion prior to going in. They mentioned that simply hooking me up to one of their units involved costs in the thousands of dollars and that most people actually did better on their own. It was highly recommended I bring in my own, which they took from me and inspected while I was rolled into surgery. Fortunately they was able to take care of me laparoscopically so I only used the machine for a short time in the recovery room. and got to go home the same day. I was tested for Covid prior to going in, and upon entry to the hospital prep room. They kept everyone well separated during the whole process to include the recovery room compared to previous surgeries I've had. The were also regularly testing the staff who were always masked as well so I seriously doubt there was any significant chance of contamination of the machine. Upon leaving they simply recommended I gave it a good cleaning and run it on mask leak test for a few minutes to blow it out and dry out the hose when I was done.

jsmit86

Post by jsmit86 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:12 pm

I was admitted to the hospital with Covid last DEC/JAN.
They provided a CPAP unit. The biggest hassle was the mask. I needed to have a nurse help remove it when I needed to get up to use the bathroom.

Resmed Airsense 11 Autoset - Former Airsense 10 Autoset
Resmed Airtouch F20 Foam Mask
Travel unit HDM Z2 Auto

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:43 pm

jsmit86 wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:12 pm
I was admitted to the hospital with Covid last DEC/JAN.
They provided a CPAP unit. The biggest hassle was the mask. I needed to have a nurse help remove it when I needed to get up to use the bathroom.
Of course, I want to use my own machine and my own mask if at all possible. I know it's properly adjusted for me! I also know that the mask fits me!