Do I need to replace my Resmed S7?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ughwhatname

Do I need to replace my Resmed S7?

Post by ughwhatname » Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:21 pm

It shows a message that the Motor life has been exceeded. It is about nine years old and has served me very well. What would be the replacement to this machine?

I was shopping for a battery backup and the S7 isn't even listed as a CPAP that the battery backup will serve.

Can anyone give me an idea of what replacement I should look for? And, tips on a battery for power failures would be appreciated as well.

Thanks,

Kristine

Miss Emerita

Re: Do I need to replace my Resmed S7?

Post by Miss Emerita » Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:05 pm

In your place I’d definitely want a new machine. My recommendation would be any of these ResMed machines:

Airsense 10 Autoset
Airsense 10 Autoset for Her
Airsense 11.

The 11 is very new, and you can read about it in the long thread on the subject below. The other two are the same, except that the For Her has an extra mode you can try out. All three machines can deliver variable pressures depending on your needs over the course of the night. If you want to stick with a constant pressure, though, you can.

People here would be happy to help you with your settings on your new machine once you get it.
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

zonker

Post by zonker » Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:39 am

miss e is spot on in her recommendations.

be advised that you may have some issues getting your machine promptly or you may have to pay a steep price. you may not be aware, but the folks at philips have a recall going on with their machines. that has given resmed the green light to raise prices on their machines. free market and all of that jazz!

good luck!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

ughwhatname

Post by ughwhatname » Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:58 am

Miss Emerita wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:05 pm
In your place I’d definitely want a new machine. My recommendation would be any of these ResMed machines:

Airsense 10 Autoset
Airsense 10 Autoset for Her
Airsense 11.

The 11 is very new, and you can read about it in the long thread on the subject below. The other two are the same, except that the For Her has an extra mode you can try out. All three machines can deliver variable pressures depending on your needs over the course of the night. If you want to stick with a constant pressure, though, you can.

People here would be happy to help you with your settings on your new machine once you get it.
Thanks so much! I do have an Autoset for Her and I have really liked it. Its even pink! I will look at the new Airsense.

JLROhio

Post by JLROhio » Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:03 pm

ughwhatname wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:21 pm
It shows a message that the Motor life has been exceeded. It is about nine years old and has served me very well.
Does it still work, even with the message?
I believe I read that, ResMed shows that message automatically after so many hours (25k ??)

I believe I read somewhere that ResMed lowered the amount of hours, before the message shows up on the S9 and then even lower on the RedMed AirSense 10 machines?? I seem to recall hearing about this on the Australian guys YouTube Channel (Nick ??). I think he stated it's more marketing vs. an actual indication of the true life of the motor. It's as though they actually built the motors to be tough and long-lasting - I guess those early engineers at ResMed did not believe in planned obsolesce that is built into most products today!

How many hours does your S7 have?
* This is the internet - what I write will probably NOT come across as it would in person; where one can read a person's face.
My posts are sometimes tongue & cheek w/some snarky sarcasm mixed in.
I leave it up to you to figure it out!
:wink:

--

clownbell

Post by clownbell » Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:32 pm

When you get the new machine, it may be a good idea to save the ancient S7 as a backup.
ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset with built in humidifier
Resmed P10 pillow mask

JLROhio

Post by JLROhio » Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:48 pm

JLROhio wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:03 pm
ughwhatname wrote:
It shows a message that the Motor life has been exceeded. It is about nine years old and has served me very well.
I believe I read somewhere that ResMed lowered the amount of hours, before the message shows up on the S9 and then even lower on the RedMed AirSense 10 machines?? I seem to recall hearing about this on the Australian guys YouTube Channel (Nick ??).
I found it...Nick...

This is actually one of his funniest video's - he gets his daughter to play the part of of a ResMed CSR...

https://youtu.be/F3j7ybeKdQI
* This is the internet - what I write will probably NOT come across as it would in person; where one can read a person's face.

--

ughwhatname

Post by ughwhatname » Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:55 pm

JLROhio wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:03 pm
ughwhatname wrote:
Does it still work, even with the message?
I believe I read that, ResMed shows that message automatically after so many hours (25k ??)

I believe I read somewhere that ResMed lowered the amount of hours, before the message shows up on the S9 and then even lower on the RedMed AirSense 10 machines?? I seem to recall hearing about this on the Australian guys YouTube Channel (Nick ??). I think he stated it's more marketing vs. an actual indication of the true life of the motor. It's as though they actually built the motors to be tough and long-lasting - I guess those early engineers at ResMed did not believe in planned obsolesce that is built into most products today!

How many hours does your S7 have?

Okay, made a mistake, it’s an S9. I checked tonight and it has 27,373 hours on it! The message coming across at 25,000 hours makes sense. Yes, it still works but the message won’t come off the screen, so I am limited to what I can see. I found another S9 with far fewer hours that I am purchasing thanks to someone here.

I do have an old backup that I bought used and have used as a travel machine, so even if it died suddenly, I would not need to be without a machine. I am 100% compliant, sleeping, naps, every time I am planning to sleep. I don’t know how I would sleep without it at this point.

JLROhio

Post by JLROhio » Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:12 pm

I just watched that video again (Nick is so funny....I'm glad he was able to get his kids involved in...they have the same sense of humor as their Dad! :lol: )

Anyway, it appears that your S9 machine will just keep on ticking like the energizer bunny!!

Note: Does anyone know how to directly embed a YouTube Video on this website? Does this forum software allow for this?

---
--

--

Julie

Post by Julie » Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:25 am

Why would you even want to - just post the link here.

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:36 am

JLROhio wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:12 pm
Does anyone know how to directly embed a YouTube Video on this website? Does this forum software allow for this?
You can't. Al you can do is post the link.
Julie wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:25 am
Because it's very convenient to get a thumbnail, see some meta-data and not have to click off site.

zonker

Post by zonker » Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:02 am

Dog Slobber wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:36 am
JLROhio wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:12 pm
Does anyone know how to directly embed a YouTube Video on this website? Does this forum software allow for this?
You can't. Al you can do is post the link.
Julie wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:25 am
Because it's very convenient to get a thumbnail, see some meta-data and not have to click off site.
i know you're speaking english, but....
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

tlohse

Post by tlohse » Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:24 pm

hmm I may be mistaken but I think most policies state a CPAP can be replaced every 5 years expecilly with insurance.
Thomas Lohse
Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 Auto Set With Heated hose and Humidifier
Mask: ResMed AirFit P10 Size M Nasal Pillow with headgear
Mask: ResMed AirFit N30i/P30i
Original Mask: ResMed Mirage FX Nasal
CPAP USER SINCE JUNE 2013

ughwhatname

Post by ughwhatname » Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:08 pm

tlohse wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:24 pm
hmm I may be mistaken but I think most policies state a CPAP can be replaced every 5 years expecilly with insurance.
That is likely so, however I haven't looked at the benefits under my current plan (I got my first machine nine years ago). Its probably 50% of cost, and who knows if they would require another sleep study. I hit the Easy button and purchased a low hours S9 for less than what I would probably need to pay working with a DME. I have had such horrible experiences with a DME, I prefer dealing with cpap.com or other posters here. The S9 has served me very well, so I was good with more of the same. I'm now with a boring silver machine instead of my pink one, but that's okay.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:17 pm

Most DMEs fit the description: "Spawn of Satan".
After firing three, I found one I could use for Medicare.
I call them every 90 days to check eligibility,
and show up at the storefront to collect my stuff.
Before Medicare, I gave up on my lousy insurance, and used cpap.com.