Mask Recommendations

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Fuzzel

Mask Recommendations

Post by Fuzzel » Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:52 pm

Hi
I am an open mouth sleeper as well as nose. They put me in the F20. It's either too tight, to loose and it gives me severe dry mouth and headache. I am going back in on Wednesday for a new fitting. What do you all like? He mentioned another full mask Phillips maybe but gosh I can't handle the full mask, plus I wear glasses. I mentioned the F30 but he said it tends to leak. Does anyone use nose pillows and a chin strap? Im open to all suggestions. All I want is a decent night sleep. Thank so much!!

Houston, TX
Machine ResMed Airsense 10
Mask is F20
Pressure 6-18 cm H20
Humidity 5
Temp 81
sleep apnea hypopnea syndrome G47.33

Jlfinkels

Re: Mask Recommendations

Post by Jlfinkels » Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:06 pm

Over a period of a few weeks I went from using the F20 FFM (used for 6 months) to the P10 nasal pillows. What worked for me was using a soft cervical collar and practicing tongue placement on the roof of my mouth while awake a bit more every day, then napping with the P10, until I finally started using it to sleep. It took me time to get comfortable with it and I still on occasion get large leaks, but not to the point that they wake me up. The real key was finding a cervical collar that was comfortable, not too hot, and firm enough to keep my mouth closed without discomfort. It can be done but it requires persistence and patience.
Sometimes it is the very people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one imagines

zonker

Post by zonker » Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:09 pm

Jlfinkels wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:06 pm
Over a period of a few weeks I went from using the F20 FFM (used for 6 months) to the P10 nasal pillows. What worked for me was using a soft cervical collar and practicing tongue placement on the roof of my mouth while awake a bit more every day, then napping with the P10, until I finally started using it to sleep. It took me time to get comfortable with it and I still on occasion get large leaks, but not to the point that they wake me up. The real key was finding a cervical collar that was comfortable, not too hot, and firm enough to keep my mouth closed without discomfort. It can be done but it requires persistence and patience.
+1
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

tbeb

Post by tbeb » Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:44 pm

The Philips Dreamwear full face mask does not cover your nose. Philips describes it as an under the nose full face cushion. It allows you to wear glasses. The tube (hose) connects at the top of the head. This is the mask I use. Everyone is different--for me it doesn't leak when I sleep on my side, but it does leak when I sleep on my back.
Phillips Dreamstation with Humidifier, Phillips Dreamwear Full Face Mask

edbrownewellsr

Post by edbrownewellsr » Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:24 pm

Fuzzel wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:52 pm
Hi
I am an open mouth sleeper as well as nose. They put me in the F20. It's either too tight, to loose and it gives me severe dry mouth and headache. I am going back in on Wednesday for a new fitting. What do you all like? He mentioned another full mask Phillips maybe but gosh I can't handle the full mask, plus I wear glasses. I mentioned the F30 but he said it tends to leak. Does anyone use nose pillows and a chin strap? Im open to all suggestions. All I want is a decent night sleep. Thank so much!!

Houston, TX
Machine ResMed Airsense 10
Mask is F20
Pressure 6-18 cm H20
Humidity 5
Temp 81
sleep apnea hypopnea syndrome G47.33

I have short facial hair (goatee) and the f30i works fine. I even cut open the nose holes a bit more. I was given an f20 and didn't like it at all. I'm currently trying out the n30i and p30i. If not it's back to what works best for me so far, the f30i. With the n30i and p30i I'm trying it without taping my mouth shut but I'm thinking I'll probably have too since I was a mouth breather before.

Airfit n30i/f30i
ClimateAir Heated Hose