Should I be concerned?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
StormDudley#22

Should I be concerned?

Post by StormDudley#22 » Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:57 pm

I’ve been using a CPAP for about 4 years now, I’ve always been a mouth breather however I seem to have turned into a gulper, I hadn’t noticed myself but have recently ( Christmas) seen my son for the first time since the pandemic started.
He commented on how often I puff out my cheeks and gulp air, my husband said yes I do it a lot and since then I’ve realised that I do. We just hadn’t noticed but it is a real habit and although I’ve been actively trying to breath through my nose, it seems almost impossible, I really focus on my breathing and just can’t get enough air in and end up having a big gulp.
I’m getting rather anxious about this, and started having bad dreams of being kidnapped and gagged or getting Covid and being unable to breath.
Alongside this my dry mouth has developed into a dry throat, I feel dry deep into my chest.
Should I be concerned?

zonker

Re: Should I be concerned?

Post by zonker » Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:37 pm

StormDudley#22 wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:57 pm

Should I be concerned?
welcome to the zoo!

if it were me, i'd be talking to a doctor. in my opinion, there doesn't seem to be much connection about what you are describing and cpap.

good luck!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:58 pm

And contact your doctor as soon as possible!

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Feb 18, 2022 5:29 pm

StormDudley#22 wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:57 pm
He commented on how often I puff out my cheeks and gulp air, my husband said yes I do it a lot and since then I’ve realised that I do.
Are you talking about when you are asleep or awake?

Which model mask are you using?

StormDudley#22

Post by StormDudley#22 » Sat Feb 19, 2022 3:04 am

My machine is a REMStar pro C Flex + & mask an air fit F10

It’s when I’m awake, I’m frequently either taking a big gulp of air or blowing air out

I have a review at the clinic in a few weeks but from previous it’s only ever to take readings from machine, provide a replacement mask and complete the Epworth score. I’m in the UK and it’s an NHS clinic.

Respirator99

Post by Respirator99 » Sat Feb 19, 2022 5:45 am

I concur with the previous opinions - it's unlikely to be cpap related. Don't wait for your clinic appointment - see your GP as soon as possible.
* Download Oscar
* Oscar help
* An alternative to Oscar - try SleepHQ

I have no medical training or qualifications. Take my advice for what it's worth.

rick blaine

Post by rick blaine » Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:07 am

Hi Stormdudley#22,

I note that you say it is while you are awake. :)

It could be several things. As a quick-and-ready test for heart and lung, can you climb two flights of stairs, each with a good 15 or 16 steps, and still hold a normal conversation at the top of them?

If you can't, then certainly see your GP. Soon.

There is another possible explanation for 'gulping air' and 'air hunger' and that is hyper-ventilation syndrome. Breathing too deeply or too rapidly so that the balance of gases in the blood is 'off'. And the resulting alkalinity causes all sorts of symptoms.

HVS is best diagnosed when other causes of breathlesssness have been eliminated.

The remedy is to do breathing exercises every day until more normal breathing becomes habitual, if possible with the supervision of a trained respiratory nurse.

Your GP can refer – altho currently, in the UK, NHS waiting lists are long for just about everything. So if your GP's screening eliminates the very serious stuff, then one alternative is to get the book Self Help for HVS by respiratory therapist Dinah Bradley, and to follow the recommendations in that. :)

StormDudley#22

Post by StormDudley#22 » Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:26 am

Thanks to you all, I made a GP appointment and am being referred to a respiratory consultant privately ( fortunately I had a medical insurance which gives me private GP telephone appointments and will pay for the initial consultation)

zonker

Post by zonker » Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:48 am

StormDudley#22 wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:26 am
Thanks to you all, I made a GP appointment and am being referred to a respiratory consultant privately ( fortunately I had a medical insurance which gives me private GP telephone appointments and will pay for the initial consultation)
let us know how it goes!
Oscar-Win
Oscar-Mac

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:57 pm

StormDudley#22 wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 3:04 am
It’s when I’m awake, I’m frequently either taking a big gulp of air or blowing air out
I disagree with my cohorts. This is unlikely to be something a doctor can help with. So it happens while you are awake. What about when you are asleep? Does it awaken you from sleep?

Your problem is most likely just some normal anxiety due to adjusting to CPAP. Typically, the new CPAP user will concentrate on their breathing and attempt to time their breathing with the machine. When the user falls asleep, the autonomic nervous system takes control of breathing and the user breathes gently and rhythmically. If the user can distract their mind from breathing and fall asleep, everything is fine.

Are you being awakened from sleep by breathing irregularities? Does your wife hear you snoring, gasping or snorting in your sleep?

Respirator99

Post by Respirator99 » Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:11 pm

Granny, the gulping alone is probably not a cause of concern, but the OP mentioned a burning sensation in the lungs. That, I think, warrants investigation.
* Download Oscar
* Oscar help

I have no medical training or qualifications. Take my advice for what it's worth.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:21 pm

Respirator99 wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:11 pm
the OP mentioned a burning sensation in the lungs
No, she said
I feel dry deep into my chest
No mention of burning.

I suspect she is using a nasal interface and has recently started mouth-breathing.

Which mask are you using, StormDude?

Respirator99

Post by Respirator99 » Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:58 pm

You're right: I saw " dry deep into my chest" and interpreted it as "burning".

Regardless, I can't imagine that mouth breathing would cause dryness deep into the chest. If it was me, I'd have it checked out.
* Download Oscar
* Oscar help

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:45 am

Respirator99 wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:58 pm
I saw " dry deep into my chest"
Do any of us know what that means? Have you ever heard a symptom described that way? I haven't.

zonker

Post by zonker » Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:34 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:45 am
Respirator99 wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:58 pm
I saw " dry deep into my chest"
Do any of us know what that means? Have you ever heard a symptom described that way? I haven't.
maybe they'll find out when they ask their doctor, hmmm?
Oscar-Win
Oscar-Mac