Help me pick a backup/replacement machine for my Dreamstation 1

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
grizfan

Help me pick a backup/replacement machine for my Dreamstation 1

Post by grizfan » Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:43 pm

Hi,

I registered for the recall back at the beginning of October, 2021 and I have no idea how/when or if I'll be getting the recall replacement. I'm moving out of the US in July, and I'd really like to have a 2nd machine lined up before then. I've actually been quite happy with my Dreamstation, especially the DreamWear nasal pillow mask system. I'd like to keep that, or at least have something very similar. I also appreciate having a humidifier system.

So, any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Also, how common is it for insurance to cover a 2nd or replacement machine? I have pretty good Blue Cross insurance, and I'll check with them, but I'm curious what others have experienced in this regard.

thanks!

Additional Comments: DreamStation Auto CPAP DSX500H11
DreamStation Auto CPAP DSX500H11 with humidifier, DreamWear nasal pillow mask

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: Help me pick a backup/replacement machine for my Dreamstation 1

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:03 pm

Your mask can be used with any brand cpap, except some tiny "travel" machines.
If your defective machine is under 5 years old, do not expect insurance to help.
P-R is tied up with thousands of replacements. You will see yours when you see it.
Otherwise, you are on your own.
Considering how long respironics sat on their goof-up before admitting it,
I would get with a different company.
I recommend a Resmed Autoset-- series s9, airsense 10 or airsense 11.

grizfan

Post by grizfan » Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:45 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:03 pm
Your mask can be used with any brand cpap, except some tiny "travel" machines.
If your defective machine is under 5 years old, do not expect insurance to help.
P-R is tied up with thousands of replacements. You will see yours when you see it.
Otherwise, you are on your own.
Considering how long respironics sat on their goof-up before admitting it,
I would get with a different company.
I recommend a Resmed Autoset-- series s9, airsense 10 or airsense 11.
Thanks! Good to know I can use the same mask, that's the most important thing. I'll look into the Resmed Autoset units.

Additional Comments: DreamStation Auto CPAP DSX500H11
DreamStation Auto CPAP DSX500H11 with humidifier, DreamWear nasal pillow mask

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:36 am

ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet Consistently demonstrated to be the most popular device.

AirSense 11 Autoset, no long term stats yet, unproven. Supply chain problems, many are having trouble getting replacement supplies.

tbeb

Post by tbeb » Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:17 pm

When I stopped using my recalled Dreamstation auto with humidifier and heated hose, I purchased a used, very low hour, Resmed S9 Autoset with humidifier. I also purchased a new Resmed heated hose. With it I used the same mask I used with the Dreamstation--a Phillips Dreamwear FFM. FWIW, after a long search I found the machine on Facebook and the hose on Ebay The price was right. I like it a lot. My recalled machine has been replaced by Phillips, but I'm happy to have the Resmed for a backup.
Phillips Dreamstation with Humidifier, Phillips Dreamwear Full Face Mask

Conrad

Post by Conrad » Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:14 am

grizfan wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:43 pm
Hi,

I registered for the recall back at the beginning of October, 2021 and I have no idea how/when or if I'll be getting the recall replacement. I'm moving out of the US in July, and I'd really like to have a 2nd machine lined up before then. I've actually been quite happy with my Dreamstation, especially the DreamWear nasal pillow mask system. I'd like to keep that, or at least have something very similar. I also appreciate having a humidifier system.

So, any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Also, how common is it for insurance to cover a 2nd or replacement machine? I have pretty good Blue Cross insurance, and I'll check with them, but I'm curious what others have experienced in this regard.

thanks!
After you registered your Dreamstation for the recall with Philips did you receive confirmation from them that your machine was part of the recall? Of course, all Dreamstations are involved in the recall but if you didn't receive confirmation, you may not be in line for a replacement.

You didn't state what type of Dreamstation you require, CPAP or BIPAP? The Dreamstation 2s (a new model CPAP) have been shipping out for quite some time. If you require a BIPAP that's another story.

Have you contacted your DME to see what they have to say on this subject?
ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto Swift FX

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many...