Resmed Airsense10 autoset manufacturing defect

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Herbalwise-cPAPTAlk

Resmed Airsense10 autoset manufacturing defect

Post by Herbalwise-cPAPTAlk » Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:52 pm

I just got a replacement unit as my 2 year + 3 month old Airsense 10 Autoset unit that has a mechanical problem. When I plug the power cord into the back of the machine, no power. I have to wiggle it, pull it half way out, push it in slowly, wiggle it, repeat until it makes a connection. The problem is, that I spend every other weekend at my sweeties house, so I have to move it.

Today got a brand new, identical model from my supplier (paid for and ordered by my Health Plan) and THE SAME ISSUE RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX!

Obviously they have a manufacturing defect. Anyone heard of this?

Aloha,
Herbalwise

LSAT

Re: Resmed Airsense10 autoset manufacturing defect

Post by LSAT » Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:32 pm

The have manufactured a couple million of these since 2015...I would think that it would have been corrected if it really was a defect.

jsmit86

Post by jsmit86 » Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:08 pm

Herbalwise-cPAPTAlk wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:52 pm
I just got a replacement unit as my 2 year + 3 month old Airsense 10 Autoset unit that has a mechanical problem. When I plug the power cord into the back of the machine, no power. I have to wiggle it, pull it half way out, push it in slowly, wiggle it, repeat until it makes a connection. The problem is, that I spend every other weekend at my sweeties house, so I have to move it.

Today got a brand new, identical model from my supplier (paid for and ordered by my Health Plan) and THE SAME ISSUE RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX!

Aloha,
Herbalwise
I don't know if this is common, but I have had a similar issue. Plug in, no power. Wiggle it and it will eventually connect.
I made the situation much better by taking a small metal nail file, and gently running it around the circle collar of the connector. To be clear, not the center pin, but the radius of the collar surrounding it. This is the part where the metal barrel of the plug makes contact. Since doing that, it's sometimes a bit finnicky, but usually I can make it connect quickly. I posted this issue here a while back and nobody seemed to be having the same problem. My take is that it's not prevalent, but can happen if the conductors are not making good contact.

Resmed Airsense 11 Autoset - Former Airsense 10 Autoset
Resmed Airtouch F20 Foam Mask
Travel unit HDM Z2 Auto

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:59 pm

Herbalwise-cPAPTAlk wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:52 pm

Aloha,
Herbalwise
This is NOT a ResMed manufacturer's defect. The problem is your outlet, the contacts get loose--it gets worse over time. I had the same problem with the outlets in my kitchen. It is a fire hazard and needs to be fixed. https://www.apartmenttherapy.com/help-p ... utl-145362
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

ozij

Post by ozij » Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:13 pm

jsmit86 wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:08 pm
I made the situation much better by taking a small metal nail file, and gently running it around the circle collar of the connector. To be clear, not the center pin, but the radius of the collar surrounding it. This is the part where the metal barrel of the plug makes contact
May I suggest people try to do this with rubbing alcohol before they use a nail file?
Unplug from the wall socket, rub connector thoroughly, wait till it dries (go do something else while waiting...). The reconnect.

It works on wireless phones (the old kind) and it worked when my S9 heated hose stopped responding.
You can always try the nail file as a second step if the rubbing alcohol didn't remove whatever it is that disrupts the connection.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:32 pm

Pliers, kids.
To make a plug fit into a worn outlet, one can either spread or make narrower
the prongs of the plug.
I always use a power strip, to avoid wear and tear on the plug of my cpap.
Electricians are not cheap. And not on my speed dial.
Luckily, a talented amateur is an elbow away.

jsmit86

Post by jsmit86 » Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:45 am

In my case, the issue has nothing to do with the AC outlet. It’s a problem with the conductor from the plug making contact with the conductor in the Jack. This week our cleaning lady must have moved the unit, and the plug wasn’t making contact again. I was able to wiggle the plug back and forth a few times, and get contact again. Then, for the first time, I had a message on the screen say that the plug was not in all the way. Actually, it was. There’s definitely something funky with the connection.

Cleaning the contact with alcohol may be a good thing, but I’m at a loss of exactly how. If you examine the connector, it’s a small hole, surrounded by a circular collar. A swab can’t get inside. Perhaps canned air might be a good answer if something is inside that collar.

Travel unit HDM Z2 Auto

ozij

Post by ozij » Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:16 am

jsmit86 wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:45 am
Cleaning the contact with alcohol may be a good thing, but I’m at a loss of exactly how. If you examine the connector, it’s a small hole, surrounded by a circular collar. A swab can’t get inside.
The outer part under the collar is metal for a reason. Try cleaning that.
Perhaps canned air might be a good answer if something is inside that collar.
Worth trying.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

Grumpy48

Post by Grumpy48 » Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:57 am

A short, quick shot of DeOxit on the connector on the cable and the jack on the CPAP. Cleans and lubricates electrical connections. Totally safe to use on electronics.
https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-D5S-6-DeoxI ... B00006LVEU

jsmit86

Post by jsmit86 » Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:35 pm

The DeOxit may help.
To clarify the issue:

The plug on the cord is not the issue. Confirmed by testing the unit with multiple power supplies.
The center area (for the pin) on the receptacle, is tiny. You cannot get a paper clip inside, but a pin or needle can get in that area.
The circular collar is also very small. My reference to that "nail file" was to the very tip of a very small tool. That did seem to help. I've used canned air, and it doesn't make any difference. I wonder if the problem is actually the connection on the circuit board itself.

Travel unit HDM Z2 Auto

stevenal

Post by stevenal » Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:01 pm

Are folks inserting the plug fully? I just tested mine, and found it takes a pretty hard push to get it all the way in. Part way in, and the barrel is covered, but the connection is not reliable.
AirSence 10 Autoset, Dreamstation 2 backup, Swift FX, Z1 for travel.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:09 pm

If cleaning the inside of a tiny socket is too small for a pin or paper clip,
try a guitar string. The smallest can clear a 0000 Speedball pen tip.

SleepGeek

Post by SleepGeek » Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:16 pm

stevenal wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:01 pm
Are folks inserting the plug fully? I just tested mine, and found it takes a pretty hard push to get it all the way in. Part way in, and the barrel is covered, but the connection is not reliable.
I think that is exactly it. Looks like its in but needs to go in just a little more.
Happiness is being on Dog Slobber pr & zonkers foe list
CrankyGranny is Whale Road + many other ids
They are here to help.
zonkers + palerider aka GrumpyHere wrote: What exactly do you think you're adding to this thread?

zonker

Post by zonker » Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:01 pm

must.not.make.obvious.joke.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:13 am

jsmit86 wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:45 am
Cleaning the contact with alcohol may be a good thing, but I’m at a loss of exactly how. If you examine the connector, it’s a small hole, surrounded by a circular collar. A swab can’t get inside. Perhaps canned air might be a good answer if something is inside that collar.
There are three conductors in the plug, the center pin carries almost no current.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.