Headgar causing neck pain?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
raisedfist

Headgar causing neck pain?

Post by raisedfist » Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:56 am

Whenever I wake up after a night of therapy I wake up with a bad headache and my neck feels very sore. If I take a nap on the bed during the day without masking up I don't feel the same aches and pains. This can be with new headgear and I try not to have the straps too tight but they have to be somewhat tight due to my bi-level pressures. I've tried different pillows and I've been sleeping on my stomach since I was a kid. I'm thinking when I wear the mask, because of the headgear and cushion, my face/neck is aligned differently on the pillow while on my stomach, then without anything attached, and this causes the pain. So am I stuck retraining myself to sleep on my side, or?

PS Min 6, PS Max 18, EPAP Min 4, EPAP Max 12

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: Headgar causing neck pain?

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:34 am

Maybe still too tight--or headgear design bad for your anatomy.
I found a thinner bed pillow was my solution.
Many need a thinner pillow for supine than on the side.

raisedfist

Post by raisedfist » Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:45 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:34 am
Maybe still too tight--or headgear design bad for your anatomy.
I found a thinner bed pillow was my solution.
Many need a thinner pillow for supine than on the side.
Well I've learned to basically only sleep on my stomach. I need a thick pillow or I feel like I can't breathe properly and I don't like pillows that sink in. I do have respiratory issues, so being elevated in bed helps. I have an adjustable base.

My current headgear is the old school full face mask style, I do have one of those newer fancier full face masks that go beneath the nose and that headgear is different, maybe I can try to tweak that mask some more. My problem with those are sometimes they rub the skin on my nose between the nostrils.

When I use a nasal or pillows mask I feel like I'm not getting enough air and feel the urge to breath through my mouth.

PS Min 6, PS Max 18, EPAP Min 4, EPAP Max 12

Julie

Post by Julie » Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:09 pm

What are your pressure settings? They may not be ideal - too many doctors don't know enough about Cpap and prescribe basic settings but so many of us have had to change them ourselves (it's easy) due to similar issues like yours.

Respirator99

Post by Respirator99 » Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:48 pm

It could be that one or more straps is bearing on a trigger point. You can get pads which spread the load and thereby reduce the pressure on your neck. Try here: https://www.padacheek.com/
* Download Oscar
* Oscar help
* An alternative to Oscar - try SleepHQ

I have no medical training or qualifications. Take my advice for what it's worth.