How to buy a used cpap

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
sleepinow

How to buy a used cpap

Post by sleepinow » Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:38 am

I was wondering if I'm supposed to be looking at the blower hours or something else to determine how many hours the machine was used. I see some postings without any run time hours so im not really sure what to look for

Min EPAP: 13.0 CmH20
Min Pressure Support: 3.5
Max EPAP: 25.0
Max Pressure Support: 5.0
Max Pressure: 20.0
Flex Setting: Bi-Flex - 3
Backup Rate:Auto
Humidification Mode:off
Humidifier Setting:c5

Rubicon

Re: How to buy a used cpap

Post by Rubicon » Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:47 am

Also latest model, reputation of seller, method of payment is protected...
Freeze this moment a little bit longer.
Make each sensation a little bit stronger.
Experience slips away.

Rubicon

Post by Rubicon » Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:53 am

...although in the long run, sometimes the best deal is buy new. What you got for insurance coverage?
Experience slips away.

sleepinow

Post by sleepinow » Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:05 am

I have medicaid for my insurance. United Healthcare Community Plan specifically. I would like for the insurance to cover it but I use an ASV instead of a regular CPAP so its a bigger hurdle to get it with insurance.

Also thanks for the additional info on tips for purchasing a machine

Rubicon

Post by Rubicon » Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:36 am

sleepinow wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:05 am
but I use an ASV instead of a regular CPAP so its a bigger hurdle to get it with insurance.
What hurdle. It's a couple more blanks on the form, but whatever.
Experience slips away.

sleepinow

Post by sleepinow » Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:53 am

I never went the normal route of obtaining an ASV.A regular APAP was no good for me after trying many times. I purchased an ASV, fiddled with the settings, read my sleep data until I no longer wake up. I did get sleep studies/titration which confirmed my sleep apnea and was provided an APAP which didnt help at all so I just went my own route after doing some research. I read in order to get an ASV through insurance you'd need to be using other machines for quite some time before being approved for an ASV and I didnt want to put my body through misery just for insurance to cover it.

jlsmithseven

Post by jlsmithseven » Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:45 am

How hygienic is a used machine? I know the hose/mask can be replaced but is there any part of the machine that could be like mold/dirt areas you would need to look at? What about the hose connection area doesn’t that go to where people breathe and everything? To me buying a used machine just doesn’t seem like it would be healthy/clean…?

sleepinow

Post by sleepinow » Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:09 am

I dont have options as an ASV is a couple thousand dollars for a new machine and im poor.

jlsmithseven

Post by jlsmithseven » Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:15 am

I did not mean it that way….just was wondering because I see a lot of people buy used machines. To me it would be like buying used clothing or etc. which is fine you just have to know what to look for. That’s why I asked in case I ever need to.

sleepinow

Post by sleepinow » Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:21 am

Understood, yeah I mean you can buy machines with a little as 100 hours or as much as 15,000. You would also buy a new hose and filters. I think some places thoroughly clean them before selling them. But yeah like you said you would need to know what to look for. I wish I had the money for a new one, but I guess Im a bit unlucky with my situation

jlsmithseven

Post by jlsmithseven » Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:27 am

sleepinow wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:21 am
Understood, yeah I mean you can buy machines with a little as 100 hours or as much as 15,000. You would also buy a new hose and filters. I think some places thoroughly clean them before selling them. But yeah like you said you would need to know what to look for. I wish I had the money for a new one, but I guess Im a bit unlucky with my situation
I think your situation is more common than you think. The machines are expensive, but they save lives and help people live to their fullest potential.

I think sleep apnea is one of the worst healthcare money funneling I’ve ever seen. It’s amazing how much just a new mask setup cost these days, how are people ever supposed to find what works for them when masks cost over $120 each. Thank goodness I found the Bleep products, which are expensive but not too bad. Since they work I don’t mind paying, but since insurance doesn’t cover them I feel like tons of people who could be getting good therapy can’t. This has all been said before but something needs to change.

Edit: sorry for the mini rant. There is one place that actually sent me a free mask since the first one didn’t work. Lankylefty supports this company, don’t want any free advertising. I just wish it was easier for people to find a setup that works and a DME place that will help you every step of the way. It’s just like when people need to learn to walk again, they are cared for every step of the way with things to do. It should be no different. We’re learning to breathe again.

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:08 am

• Ask about run hours, make and model before physically checking out machone, many don't know there are different models, nor how to check
  • Check run hours, not usage hours (on ResMeds). Run hours is like the odometer, usage hours the trip hours and is resettable
  • Smoke free home?
  • Pet free home?
  • Go to there home to purchase, so you can observe living environment (though this might be a safety concern for some)
  • Bring your own mask to test. If you don't have one or don't want to, put your thumb partially over the hole on hose and try
  • Smell the machine, both running and not running
  • Ask them how old the machine is and why they're selling it
  • Don't over pay because they're giving you a $150 mask, there is a good chance the mask isn't a good fit for you or wrong size

sleepinow

Post by sleepinow » Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:37 am

Thank you man, really helpful

sleepinow

Post by sleepinow » Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:38 am

jlsmithseven wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:27 am
sleepinow wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:21 am
I think your situation is more common than you think. The machines are expensive, but they save lives and help people live to their fullest potential.

I think sleep apnea is one of the worst healthcare money funneling I’ve ever seen. It’s amazing how much just a new mask setup cost these days, how are people ever supposed to find what works for them when masks cost over $120 each. Thank goodness I found the Bleep products, which are expensive but not too bad. Since they work I don’t mind paying, but since insurance doesn’t cover them I feel like tons of people who could be getting good therapy can’t. This has all been said before but something needs to change.

Edit: sorry for the mini rant. There is one place that actually sent me a free mask since the first one didn’t work. Lankylefty supports this company, don’t want any free advertising. I just wish it was easier for people to find a setup that works and a DME place that will help you every step of the way. It’s just like when people need to learn to walk again, they are cared for every step of the way with things to do. It should be no different. We’re learning to breathe again.
Its completely fine and good to read. I 100% agree with you.

onward60

Post by onward60 » Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:50 pm

Dog Slobber wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:08 am
  • Ask about run hours, make and model before physically checking out machone, many don't know there are different models, nor how to check
  • Check run hours, not usage hours (on ResMeds). Run hours is like the odometer, usage hours the trip hours and is resettable
  • Smoke free home?
  • Pet free home?
  • Go to there home to purchase, so you can observe living environment (though this might be a safety concern for some)
  • Bring your own mask to test. If you don't have one or don't want to, put your thumb partially over the hole on hose and try
  • Smell the machine, both running and not running
  • Ask them how old the machine is and why they're selling it
  • Don't over pay because they're giving you a $150 mask, there is a good chance the mask isn't a good fit for you or wrong size
Definitely make sure you can check the smell and return it if it smells. My first machine was a loaner that I could not tolerate because of a perfume smell that never would dissipate even after I ran air through it for days and days. Either it was cleaned with a smelly product or doused with perfume or run near a Glade plug-in. The smell was the strongest when the humidifier was running.