Silicone alternatives? and mask woes

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
randatlas

Silicone alternatives? and mask woes

Post by randatlas » Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:29 pm

Hi to all,

Are there any alternatives to CPAP mask parts that touch the nose, areas around the nose, etc? I am getting skin irritations and acne pimples -- all that fun stuff. I am wearing a "hybrid" full mask, meaning that the nose piece goes under my nose -- but some of it goes on either side of my nose, and that's where I get the irritations the most. I'm convinced that the problem is the silicone, and I would like to know if there's an alternative. I know these CPAP companies use it because it's C-H-E-A-P but there has to be something else for those with sensitive skin. I have a feeling that someone is going to say that mask liners would be the answer. The problem is, I have read many reviews of them that mention slippage as being problematic. My sleep dr. is concerned about this and hesitates to recommend them.

I want a mask that fits me so there will be no air leaks from the seal (a huge problem from the get-go) and doesn't have so many straps to try to adjust in the middle of the night. And I get pain in the neck area, from those wider strap thingies that come together back there, plus two of the velcro straps that are tight back there. Furthermore, the pressure on my neck gives me extra dizziness in the morning. (I already have a chronic dizziness/balance issue.)

I'm trying mask #2, the hybrid full mask. Before this one, mask #1 irritated the bridge of my nose and had air leaks, too.

I hate silicone! There, I said it.

I'm wondering whether nasal pillows would be better for me, in terms of reducing the number of air leaks I experience every night? Are there any non-silicone mask pillow masks out there?

I'm trying -- I really am. I have severe obstructive sleep apnea and this scares me, yet I'm being picky about the mask because I wish to be as comfortable as possible

And don't get me started about what these masks do to my hair!

Yes, you probably can tell that I'm a newbie.;-) I want all these improvements, and I want them now... or yesterday! Thank you for having me here, seriously. :-)

tyrinryan

Re: Silicone alternatives? and mask woes

Post by tyrinryan » Thu Dec 22, 2022 6:55 am

you might try or look into the resmed air touch F20 which has a memory foam interface with the skin. it is quite expensive to use because the memory foam breaks down quickly. Some people say they only get 30-45 uses out of the $50 cushion. Important is that the cushion fits into the regular F20 silicone mask/frame. It works for me.

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:00 am

I wonder if you've tried loosening all those straps a bit - it's not helpful to overtighten them and if you feel there are leaks there are ways to deal with them (if they even need dealing with, depending on things). Can you post Oscar or SleepHQ data here so we can see what's going on?

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:20 am

Mask liners and cushions from padacheek.com.

booksfan

Post by booksfan » Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:03 am

You may want to check out the new Bleep Eclipse. Zero leaks, so no constant readjusting of mask during the night or air bothering your eyes; and since there is no headgear, no maskne across your cheeks or funky hair in the morning. I was a beta tester for the Eclipse and loved it. I have used the Bleep DreamPorts since their release 3-1/2 years ago, they solved all those problems for me...the only mask I was able to use for more than a few weeks before trying something else!

Eclipse pre-orders (from earlier this year) should be shipping soon, any day, and I believe any ordered now might ship in January? It really is not only revolutionary but totally worth it, IMO.

Mask: Bleep Eclipse/Halos
Machine: ResMed AirSense 11 AutoSet

zonker

Post by zonker » Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:42 pm

welcome to the zoo!

you've gotten some great suggestions. i'll chip in by recommending the P10 mask-
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... k-headgear

i use this with lanolin for a barrier between it and my schnozz.

good luck!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

RNeil

Post by RNeil » Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:55 pm

SleepWeaver makes cloth masks. They are very comfortable. They are also sensitive to how they are used and may leak. Buy from a vendor that lets you return it if not satisfied.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:13 pm

randatlas wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:29 pm
I'm convinced that the problem is the silicone
Allergies to silicone are very rare. Are you washing your face with a non-comedogenic soap (https://www.google.com/search?q=non-com ... s-wiz-serp)just before putting on the mask at bedtime? How do you clean the mask? Wiping the mask with an alcohol swab every morning is a good practice. Concentrate on the parts of the mask that touch the skin.
randatlas wrote:
I want a mask that fits me so there will be no air leaks from the seal and doesn't have so many straps to try to adjust in the middle of the night.
Oh yeah? You don't want one that leaks and is hard to adjust? Glad we got that straight. :mrgreen:
randatlas wrote:
My sleep dr. is concerned about this and hesitates to recommend them.
Well, she doesn't have your problem. If she did, she might change her mind.
randatlas wrote:
I'm wondering whether nasal pillows would be better for me, in terms of reducing the number of air leaks I experience every night?
You say you are currently using full face masks. Full face masks are for people who open their mouths or lose air between the lips. If this is your case and you switch to a nasal-only interface, you will need to find a way to prevent the therapeutic pressure from escaping the mouth.
randatlas wrote:
I'm trying mask #2, the hybrid full mask.
There are many models of masks. You need to specify the exact model.