Weight Loss, New Study, New Machine

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
kteague

Weight Loss, New Study, New Machine

Post by kteague » Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:58 am

After being gifted an S9 bi-level back in about 2013 (RIP to friend's family member), I found my problems with air in the belly to become nearly non existent. Treatment was consistent and so routine I rarely even checked my data in recent years. The machine was a workhorse for many years, but glitches and quirks were warning me I was on borrowed time. Since I didn't see another free machine on the horizon I set in motion getting a machine through Medicare. Had my first home sleep study ever (my last lab sleep study was about 12 years ago). Doc wanted to see if my 30 lb weight loss had changed my OSA or treatment needed. Prior AHI was 47. Current is 21. Prior pressure of 14 needed to control apneas. Current pressure on new Airsense 11 usually hovers around 10-11. Good AHI and no aerophagia at all. Have now lost a total of 61 lbs with at least 25 more to go. I have no illusions about "curing" my OSA as I had it before I gained weight. But it certainly seems losing weight has impacted its severity and ease of treatment. In fact, I'm about at a similar state as when I was first diagnosed in 2005 and before my weight got so out of hand. I'll gladly take that, and any other relief that comes from getting to a healthier weight.

Hope folks here are doing well. Always enjoy seeing familiar names when I stop in. Kinda like going home.

Julie

Re: Weight Loss, New Study, New Machine

Post by Julie » Thu Dec 22, 2022 6:53 am

Congratulations! So nice to hear good news and that someone is doing the work. And it's working :D .

Hope all continues to go well and your machine keeps going too :D

booksfan

Post by booksfan » Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:05 am

That is wonderful all around! It is for posts like these that I wish we had a "like" button! :D

Mask: Bleep Eclipse/Halos
Machine: ResMed AirSense 11 AutoSet

lazarus

Post by lazarus » Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:14 am

Good to hear!

You were truly welcoming and helpful when I arrived at this forum. You made a difference in my life. Thank you.

May things continue to go well for you.

Inspirational post!!

-Jeff
The people who confuse "entomology" and "etymology" really bug me beyond words.
---
A love song to a CPAP? Oh please!:
https://youtu.be/_e32lugxno0?si=W4W9EnrZZTD5Ow6p

zonker

Post by zonker » Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:37 pm

kteague wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:58 am
I'll gladly take that, and any other relief that comes from getting to a healthier weight.

Hope folks here are doing well. Always enjoy seeing familiar names when I stop in. Kinda like going home.

remarkable news, thanks for posting.

to any newbies reading this-THIS is how you do it. if you think weight loss may help lower your ahi, you've got to be sure to have a sleep test to confirm it.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg