Airsense 10 help, 7-12 events/hour

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
kalatraza

Airsense 10 help, 7-12 events/hour

Post by kalatraza » Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:18 pm

Hi,

Can anyone help me? Trying to help my dad out. He has the Airsense 10 from the VA. Kind of working in the blind because it doesn’t have efficiency data—or I can’t figure out how to get it. (VA has no choices for machines and I can’t buy a different one right now. Just bought my mom one with cash.)

He’s still feeling tired in the morning and after a nap. Pursuing other medical causes on a parallel path as well because he’s a senior.

Resmed app shows 7-12 events hourly. Mask is on all night with below ten leaks/m. He’s typically up and down twice. Avg 7.5 hours sleep.

That’s not a lot to go on. Is there any risk in adjusting the pressure to see if we can reduce the events? I don’t know if that will impact his subjective “rested” feeling. All I can think of…

Thanks for ideas.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: Airsense 10 help, 7-12 events/hour

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:34 pm

What are the settings?
(We thank your dad for his service, unlike the VA.)

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:47 pm

kalatraza wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:18 pm

That’s not a lot to go on. Is there any risk in adjusting the pressure to see if we can reduce the events? I don’t know if that will impact his subjective “rested” feeling. All I can think of…
Adjusting and optimising setting is one of the primary roles on this forum. Most of us do exactly that and advise others how to adjust their own settings.

Almost always somebody who is getting 7-12 events /hour can improve their therapy.

Using the SD Card and OSCAR, data can be presented that will help the more experienced know what settings need to be changed.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:33 pm

When you turn on the machine, the pressure settings will show on the screen.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:40 pm

kalatraza wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:18 pm
Kind of working in the blind because it doesn’t have efficiency data—or I can’t figure out how to get it.
Well, let's shed some light on the situation.

First, figure out what machine it is, it says so right on the front (lower right corner) of the machine.

Then put a SD card in it (open the cover on the left side.).

Then load the data into OSCAR, and post a screenshot, read the first post on the forum, the one that says "NEWBIES, READ THIS BEFORE POSTING).

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:48 pm

You'll need a laptop or desktop computer to use Oscar, and some way to read the SD card -- a plug-in reader if the computer doesn't have a slot. Does that all sound do-able?

If not, one thing you could try is to get the screen on the front of the machine to show you more information. Push the home button and the round knob at the same time and hold them down until you see Exit Clinician Menu at the top. You are now in the Clinician Menu. Select Settings, then scroll down until you see Essentials. Press the knob to see your options, and select Plus by pressing the knob again. Then scroll back up to the top and select Exit Clinician Menu to get the machine back to usual. Now take a look at the Sleep Report. You should see more information there. Be sure that the Period is one day, so you get a report on the previous night only.

One key piece of information you can then tell us is the breakdown of your father's events, which you'll find at the bottom of the list of data. It'll given numbers for AHI, Total AI, and Central AI.
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

kalatraza

Post by kalatraza » Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:16 pm

Ordered a SD card. It takes a while for things to get here. Figured I’d post the info available from the machine’s screen in case there’s something obvious I can adjust now.

Machine is a ResMed AirSense 10 Respond
Mask is an AirFit (didn’t grab the letter on it sorry but I can)

Pressure is set on 9.0

Daily report:
AHI is 7.5

Cumulative report:
AHI is 8.1
Total AI is 4
Central AI is .2
Leak is 10L/minute

Thank you.

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:43 pm

kalatraza wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:16 pm
Machine is a ResMed AirSense 10 Respond
No such thing as a Respond.
It's one of:
CPAP (REALLY hope not)
Elite ( hope not)
AutoSet (hope so)
AutoSet for Her ( preferred of the bunch)
kalatraza wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:16 pm
Pressure is set on 9.0

Daily report:
AHI is 7.5

Cumulative report:
AHI is 8.1
Total AI is 4
Central AI is .2
Leak is 10L/minute

Thank you.
Don't like to guess, but wondering why you're on fixed pressure.

Almost always a lot obstructive is treated by increasing pressure.

kalatraza

Post by kalatraza » Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:56 am

It’s an Autoset. (Sorry the paperwork from the VA all says Respond. I dunno why.)

No idea why they would issue an auto set and leave it on fixed pressure (now that I have some understanding of the difference).

How much of an interval is recommended for the pressure is recommended to start titrating towards the correct level?

Hoping the SD card comes today.

robysue1

Post by robysue1 » Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:10 am

kalatraza wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:56 am
It’s an Autoset. (Sorry the paperwork from the VA all says Respond. I dunno why.)

No idea why they would issue an auto set and leave it on fixed pressure (now that I have some understanding of the difference).
Because an AutoSet can do fixed pressure mode and some people do better in fixed pressure mode and the script for the machine most likely read CPAP @ 9cm.

How much of an interval is recommended for the pressure is recommended to start titrating towards the correct level?
Some folks would say to just set the max pressure all the way at 20 and set min pressure at 9cm and let the machine go where it wants to go.

That's not necessarily bad advice---unless your dad winds up having problems with aerophagia or the higher pressures trigger more leaks or triggers mouth breathing or your dad winds up with arousals from pressure increases.

A more cautious approach would be to start with an APAP range of something like 9-12cm and then use the data to figure out whether to increase the max pressure, the min pressure or both.
Joined as robysue on 9/18/10. Forgot my password & the email I used was on a machine that has long since died & gone to computer heaven.

Correct number of posts is 7250 as robysue + what I have as robysue1

Profile pic: Frozen Niagara Falls

kalatraza

Post by kalatraza » Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:02 pm

That makes sense. :) Thank you.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:49 pm

kalatraza wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:56 am

Hoping the SD card comes today.
Some/many people actually do BETTER on straight/fixed pressure.
Autos don't/can't IMMEDIATELY respond to or can't reliably predict what pressure is actually needed. And, unfortunately, many people don't understand that.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

SDBud

Post by SDBud » Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:05 am

chunkyfrog wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:34 pm
What are the settings?
WHY would you say something THAT stupid???
Airsense 10 Autoset
AirTouch and AirFit F10 masks
:roll:

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:27 am

SDBud wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:05 am
chunkyfrog wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:34 pm
What are the settings?
WHY would you say something THAT stupid???
Because, she believes that the VA doesn't treat vets with the respect and dignity they deserve.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:38 am

Like issuing a machine WITHOUT efficacy data. :twisted:
Shame on them!