Lost 100 pounds: no improvement

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
PST

Lost 100 pounds: no improvement

Post by PST » Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:46 am

I have been missing from the forum for quite some time simply because CPAP has been working like a charm for years and I barely think about it anymore. Naturally, as an old person, I have no shortage of other health issues to occupy my attention. However, I have an observation to share in connection with the common newbie question, "If I just lost some weight, would I still need CPAP?" My own experience, based on sample size n=1, is no. Over the last year and a half I have lost over a hundred pounds. (I wish I could say that I lost over a third of my body weight, but alas I can't. I was that overweight.) My AHI has always been good, so I wasn't looking for improvement in that, but I hoped this would at least mean I could lower my pressure a little and have fewer leaks. To that end, I checked OSCAR to see if my ResMed 10 AutoSense was spending significant time at lower than the maximum I have set of 15 cm-H2O. No, most of the night the pressure pretty much hugs the top of the range. I see almost zero obstructive events, and my hypopneas remain low but no better than they used to be. I suspect I may be sleeping on my back more than I used to, simply because I can, and that might be counterbalancing some of the theoretical advantages of weight loss. Anyway, I thought I would toss this out for what it's worth. And it gives me a new audience to mention the weight loss to, now that I have thoroughly bored all my friends, family, and acquaintances, and have been reduced to ambushing random strangers to talk about it.

loggerhead12

Re: Lost 100 pounds: no improvement

Post by loggerhead12 » Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:07 am

Congratulations. Even though your pressure needs aren't reduced it's still a great accomplishment with lots of other benefits.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:21 am

Congratulations on the weight loss!

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:34 am

Lost 100 pounds -- what an achievement!
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:02 pm

PST wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:46 am
the maximum I have set of 15 cm-H2O. No, most of the night the pressure pretty much hugs the top of the range.
That means your max should be *raised*, (and your minimum probably should be raised too, but you don't mention what that is, and don't have any images to evaluate.

Setting the max lower than 20/25 on a machine just prevents it from being able to respond to your changing needs.

And yes, sometimes (we've seen it multiple times here) losing weight results in a HIGHER pressure being needed. (of course, that's no reason not to loose weight).

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

kteague

Post by kteague » Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:44 am

Congrats on the weight loss. I hear you on finding a new audience to tell. lol I'm down 75 pounds and, like you, I still have OSA. I expected as much since I had OSA before I gained most of the weight. The other benefits though have made this one of the best things I ever did for myself. Was worth every bit of the effort. Best wishes as you push on to even healthier goals in your weight loss journey.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Fri Apr 07, 2023 3:31 pm

Congratulations on your weight loss!

There's no such thing as "just" losing some weight. It's HARD. So you should feel really proud of yourself.

It's even harder to keep off in the long term. So even those people who smugly think they don't need CPAP anymore because they lost some weight might want to hang on to their machines.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

PST

Post by PST » Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:33 pm

kteague wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:44 am
Congrats on the weight loss. I hear you on finding a new audience to tell. lol I'm down 75 pounds …
And congrats to you. It’s fun to see some of the same names and faces I remember from when I was more active here.

kteague

Post by kteague » Sat Apr 08, 2023 2:38 am

PST wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:33 pm
kteague wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:44 am
Congrats on the weight loss. I hear you on finding a new audience to tell. lol I'm down 75 pounds …
And congrats to you. It’s fun to see some of the same names and faces I remember from when I was more active here.
I thought the same thing when I saw your name. :)

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Apr 08, 2023 8:39 pm

Since you lost the weight while using cpap, consider the possibility
that stopping cpap could reverse the weight loss.
Also, cpap could help you lose even more weight--if that is needed.