AirMini mask noise (again)

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
mwaddo

AirMini mask noise (again)

Post by mwaddo » Mon Jul 17, 2023 12:13 pm

Sorry beforehand if this is too lengthy. I finally bought an AirMini after lugging my old travel unit on one too many trips. However, as has been pointed out before, mask noise is an issue and I'm wondering whether anyone has really solved the problem. Here's what I know - I have three full-size machines in different locations with various hose connections - basic hose, ResMed heated hose and intermediate dated ResMed hose. But what is common is that they all terminate in a regular Airfit P10 mask, they all work great and they are all quiet. So I just added an adapter to the AirMini and a basic hose to my local P10. It turns out that the actual AirMini machine doesn't make much noise, but the P10 mask vents really do! So air is coming at the same pressures to the same mask and somehow the AirMini system makes way more noise as the air vents from the mask. My theory is that the blower on the AirMini creates different air wave patterns which ultimately create far more noise as that air is vented at the mask. This is probably refried beans to many who will say 'buy a tube muffler", and I probably will, but I'd rather buy one that is specifically designed for the AirMini. The AirMini has been around for a few years now and I'm wondering if someone has optimized for lower mask noise.