Nasal breathing to mouth breathing: collapse?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Wellhellothere

Nasal breathing to mouth breathing: collapse?

Post by Wellhellothere » Sat Aug 05, 2023 7:29 am

Hi Cpaptalkers,

It's been a while since I posted here and unfortunately despite my AHI stats being excellent, I still feel incredibly sleep deprived.

I have been using my self bought ASV as a BiPap after not really improving on ASVauto mode. I actually felt worse on ASVauto, as the respiratory rate, pressure went from one extreme to the next it seemed, hardly stable.

When browsing through the flow rate I keep noticing that I have these big gasps, followed by what seems shallow breathing.Preceding this gasp nothing out of the ordinary happens, but I seem to have a hard time recovering from whatever causes me taking big gulps of air. Also, I seem to have inspiratory flow limitation quite a bit, and I'm wondering if this is causing me to feel utterly spent and anxious.

https://imgur.com/a/hQOKN0x

I have been extremely tired the last couple of months, a do think I'm in a burnout. Also, I have seen a maxillofacial surgeon and an airway orientated orthodontist and they noticed that my maxilla and mandible are retruded and I have a somewhat narrow pharengeal airway. Really hoping that increasing my airway will help me get rid of my exhaustion. Until then though, I'd like to improve the quality of my day/life.

Based on the screenshots, what would you recommend me do with the PAP treatment? Am I not geting enough air in through my nose, causing me to gasp and switching to mouth breathing? It would explain to poor flow rate all of a sudden. Mouth breathing increases collapse as far as I know.

Any observations and tips are more than welcome.

Thanks!
RESMED Aircurve 10-CS
Resmed Airpillows P10