Looking for recommendations for travel backup battery

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jpek

Looking for recommendations for travel backup battery

Post by jpek » Tue Sep 12, 2023 2:01 pm

Last week I was on a brief trip out of the country (in Mexico) when my section of town lost power for 18 hours. I got no sleep that night, due to the inability to run my CPAP. At home I now have very robust power backup for my CPAP, such that I could run it more or less indefinitely without power from my power company. But when traveling I have nothing.

I would like to remedy this situation. So, I'm looking for a lightweight CPAP backup battery that can be taken on a plane, that's reasonably priced, performs well and can power my CPAP for at least a few (6?) hours with the humidifier going (I do need the humidifier).

I'm also interested in exploring the option of portable solar panels that come with some of these batteries, although I imagine they're too bulky to pack in a suitcase and probably not practical enough to go camping with, because the backup power source wouldn't give me enough sleep with the humidifier on a regular basis. But do these panels actually perform as well as they claim?

Recommendations and feedback appreciated

jpek

lynninnj

Re: Looking for recommendations for travel backup battery

Post by lynninnj » Tue Sep 12, 2023 2:23 pm

Put camping in search bar and see prior discussion. Were some good talks about options.

Taking a battery on a plane is a whole different animal.

This is TSA site.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-scr ... ies&page=1

Beware the schoolyard bullies, mean girls, and fragile male egos. Move along if you can’t be kind.

jpek

Post by jpek » Tue Sep 12, 2023 2:36 pm

I believe I was one of the people who started some of the "camping" discussions when I was tryin to figure out how to power my CPAP at home in case of power outage.

Now I'm asking primarily something different. I'm asking what I can take with me when traveling (by plane) to power the CPAP for at least one night if the electricity goes out. Big camping setups aren't going to work in this case.

lynninnj

Post by lynninnj » Tue Sep 12, 2023 3:50 pm

jpek wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 2:36 pm
I believe I was one of the people who started some of the "camping" discussions when I was tryin to figure out how to power my CPAP at home in case of power outage.

Now I'm asking primarily something different. I'm asking what I can take with me when traveling (by plane) to power the CPAP for at least one night if the electricity goes out. Big camping setups aren't going to work in this case.
Gotcha.

I linked the TSA website regarding batteries. I also think there is some room for subjectivity. If it were me, I wouldn’t want to lose an expensive battery pack because TSA wouldn’t let me check that in or carry it in carry on.

It’s really restrictive because lithium ion batteries are so explosive. That’s why you can’t even ship them without a label and has to go ground shipping. Maybe if you knew where you were going and it were a reliable place you could mail them to yourself with ground shipping a few days ahead of time. I sometimes do that with my clothing.

unfortunately lithium iron phosphate. Batteries are not widespread. They are very stable.

sorry i can’t be more helpful regarding a specific battery but I just don’t think you can bring anything big in the cabin and can’t check in with luggage. I have a very large ecoflow Delta 2 that I use for home.

Beware the schoolyard bullies, mean girls, and fragile male egos. Move along if you can’t be kind.

lynninnj

Post by lynninnj » Tue Sep 12, 2023 3:53 pm

lynninnj wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 2:23 pm

This is TSA site.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-scr ... ies&page=1
thium batteries with 100 watt hours or less in a device
Carry On Bags: Yes
Checked Bags: Yes (Special Instructions)
Spare (uninstalled) lithium ion and lithium metal batteries, including power banks and cell phone battery charging cases, must be carried in carry-on baggage only. Lithium metal (non-rechargeable) batteries are limited to 2 grams of lithium per battery. Lithium ion (rechargeable) batteries are limited to a rating of 100 watt hours (Wh) per battery. These limits allow for nearly all types of lithium batteries used by the average person in their electronic devices.
This instruction covers spare lithium metal and spare rechargeable lithium ion batteries for personal electronics such as cameras, cell phones, laptop computers, tablets, watches, calculators, etc. This instruction also includes external battery chargers (portable rechargers and power banks) containing a lithium ion battery. For more information, see the FAA regulations on batteries.
For lithium batteries that are installed in a device (laptop, cell phone, camera, etc.), see FAA regulations for "portable electronic devices, containing batteries".
Lithium batteries with more than 100 watt hours
Carry On Bags: Yes (Special Instructions)
Checked Bags: No
Spare (uninstalled) lithium ion and lithium metal batteries, including power banks and cell phone battery charging cases, must be carried in carry-on baggage only.
With airline approval, passengers may also carry up to two spare larger lithium ion batteries (101–160 Wh) or lithium metal batteries (2-8 grams). This size covers the larger after-market extended-life laptop computer batteries and some larger batteries used in professional audio/visual equipment. There is a limit of two spare batteries per person for the larger lithium ion batteries described above (101–160 watt hours per battery. For more information, see the FAA regulations on batteries.
This instruction covers spare lithium metal and spare rechargeable lithium ion batteries for personal electronics such as cameras, cell phones, laptop computers, tablets, watches, calculators, etc. This instruction also includes external battery chargers (portable rechargers and power banks) containing a lithium ion battery. For lithium batteries that are installed in a device (laptop, cell phone, camera, etc.), see FAA regulations for "portable electronic devices, containing batteries."

amenite

Post by amenite » Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:16 pm

Have not actually used this one one a plane but I think I've carried it on, the predecessor "V1" once or twice which I also had. Allows me to have a battery with me wherever I might need to run the machine. It's 99.9 Wh for carry on and it fits in a pocket of the bag with the Airsense 10. Auto adjusts to 12V or 24V and with this version 2 model you can use the CPAP power supply to charge it. Saves carrying around an extra charger. Apparently they give you a dedicated charger now, not sure what went wrong and for whom with the CPAP power brick charging but I just use the Airsense 10 power brick on mine and it charges fine (so far anyhow)

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/univer ... attery-kit

dos coyotes

Post by dos coyotes » Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:57 pm

I travel internationally annually. I travel with the Pilot Lite 24 by Medistrom. It’s FAA approved for flight. I travel with it in my carry on and use it to power my clap on the plane on overnight long haul flights. I’ve never once been questioned about it in numerous overseas flights.