Airsense 11 humdifier fix?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
MeToo

Airsense 11 humdifier fix?

Post by MeToo » Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:45 am

I am a huge Resmed fan and I am very disappointed with the ill-conceived humidifier in the A11. Not only is it too small, but it spills when filling, leaving marks on my wooden bedside table. What a derp, Resmed. You managed to take a BIG step backward.

I'm looking to get a new machine for a second home and think I will get an A10 instead of A11 in large part due to humidifier. Has anyone heard if Resmed has a fix in the works for the humidifier? Adding an extra 1/2 inch to the end of the humidifier would go a long way to mitigating the flaw.

LSAT

Re: Airsense 11 humdifier fix?

Post by LSAT » Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:26 am

The humidifier on the AS11 is EXACTLY the same capacity as the humidifier on the AS10. If you are spilling the water, don't fill it all the way and put a towel under the machine.

MeToo

Post by MeToo » Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:31 pm

Thank you. They aren't the same size, though. If filled to "max" line, the A10 has more space. If I fill A11 to max line it often spills when I move to insert it into A11. Reducing the humidifier capacity is in part how Resmed was able to reduce the size of the A11 slightly. If I don't fill the A11 to the max mark as you suggest (and which is really what one should do, given the design), then it will run out on occasion.

I would rather not have to have towel sitting on my bedside table to compensate for Resmed's poor design. I've actually been using a small cutting board from the kitchen for this purpose since the dampness from the over-spill on the towel might mar the wood finish.

I heard from a DME provider that Resmed is aware of the issue and is working on a fix, but that might be years off...or never.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:18 pm

??????????
Not what I heard!

MeToo

Post by MeToo » Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:26 pm

It's not something I'm holding my breath on. If no one here knows anything, then I doubt anything is imminent. I'll scare up an A10. It also has the swivel hose connector that I prefer.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:25 pm

MeToo wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:31 pm
Thank you. They aren't the same size, though. If filled to "max" line, the A10 has more space.
As has been pointed out to you, you are MISTAKEN
MeToo wrote:
Reducing the humidifier capacity is in part how Resmed was able to reduce the size of the A11 slightly.
Only, they didn't.
Resmed S9, Air10 and (surprise) Air 11 *ALL* hold the exact same amount, 380ml.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:26 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:18 pm
??????????
Not what I heard!
That's because it's not true.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

zonker

Post by zonker » Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:46 pm

palerider wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:26 pm
chunkyfrog wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:18 pm
??????????
Not what I heard!
That's because it's not true.
are you telling me a dme provider LIED?!?!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

ozij

Post by ozij » Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:59 pm

palerider wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:25 pm
Resmed S9, Air10 and (surprise) Air 11 *ALL* hold the exact same amount, 380ml.
MeToo wrote:
They aren't the same size, though. If filled to "max" line, the A10 has more space. If I fill A11 to max line it often spills when I move to insert it into A11. Reducing the humidifier capacity is in part how Resmed was able to reduce the size of the A11 slightly. If I don't fill the A11 to the max mark as you suggest (and which is really what one should do, given the design), then it will run out on occasion.
[added emphasis mine]

Apples and oranges...
Theres' the total volume of the humidifier, and there's there's the volume of the water at the max line.

With a smaller total volume, and the same volume of water, the smaller volume container (AS11) is more likely to spill when it has the same amount to water in it.

As I mentioned in another thread:
I believe that Resmed is attempting to make their machines lighter and smaller as part of the general attempt by manufacturers to cut the weight of equipment they ship: less weight = less fuel used per machine shipped. You can be cynical and say the only want to cut shipping costs, but it boils down to the same thing: less fuel used per machine shipped = less harm to the atmosphere.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

MeToo

Post by MeToo » Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:09 am

Exactly. I guess the others who responded haven't owned both A10 and A11; the difference in humidifier capacity is obvious. Your reasoning as to why makes sense. Thank you.

The DME said Resmed was keenly aware of the problem (this I believe) and that they were working on a fix (this I'm not so sure about, hence my question).

Thank you.

lynninnj

Post by lynninnj » Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:14 am

Actually, I will not debate size because clearly, size matters here. :::innocent whistle:::

I find the AS11 a bit awkward when that baby is full but I must ask if your bedside table and the machine are level? My bedside table sits on a rug with a few degrees difference from left to right and when I fill that to the max line it gets tricky. Part of the trickyness is that I set the bin on the table to fill it and the table is a tiny bit crooked.

Do you have any neurological issues of shaking/temors? If so I can see that being particularly challenging and could be part of the problem.

Otherwise good luck and I would get a level out to give it a check. If you don't have one, an iphone has a crude level built in to the measuring app on the "second page" of the app.

HTH

Beware the schoolyard bullies, mean girls, and fragile male egos. Move along if you can’t be kind.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:26 am

Tremor--shremor!
I have had essential tremor in my hands for over 50 years.
Resting my hand on something when I need to be steady is a lifelong habit.
It is never a problem.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:06 am

ozij wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:59 pm
You can be cynical and say the only want to cut shipping costs, but it boils down to the same thing: less fuel used per machine shipped = less harm to the atmosphere.
Less space on the nightstand.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:09 am

MeToo wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:09 am
The DME said
MOST DMEs are known for their continual spew of inaccuracies, falsehoods and outright lies.

lynninnj

Post by lynninnj » Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:49 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:26 am
Tremor--shremor!
I have had essential tremor in my hands for over 50 years.
Resting my hand on something when I need to be steady is a lifelong habit.
It is never a problem.
An essential tremor is different than an intention tremor.

It was a reasonable question.

https://calahealth.com/tremor-resources ... 20movement.

Beware the schoolyard bullies, mean girls, and fragile male egos. Move along if you can’t be kind.