How often do you replace your humidifier chamber?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
colomom

How often do you replace your humidifier chamber?

Post by colomom » Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:09 pm

The DME is always wanting me to replace my humidifier chamber (and everything else). It seems like overkill to me. Even though I’ve never seen signs of my humidifier chamber needing to be replaced I’ve replaced it 2 times since I’ve had my machine (about 4 years). Unfortunately this morning when I reached over to turn off my machine I felt water underneath. The humidifier chamber had sprung a leak. I dried everything out and so far 🤞my machine seems to still be running OK.

Wondering how often you all recommend changing out the humidifier chamber?

Pugsy

Re: How often do you replace your humidifier chamber?

Post by Pugsy » Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:35 pm

I always keep a spare humidifier on stand by.

14 years plus on cpap therapy I guess it is now and in all that time I have replaced the water/humidifier chamber 3 times and all those times the chamber either had a boo boo on its one (this happened once) or a boo boo caused by it's human throwing it across the room or dropping it on the floor. So twice the problem was me.

Now there have been some unintended changes made like when I changed brands of machines or got a newer model of same machine but parts weren't interchangeable so I don't count those.

I don't swap out just to be changing.....I swap out when something breaks/leaks.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

zonker

Post by zonker » Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:03 pm

well, until the covid-19 pandemic, i wasn't changing out my humidifier at all. i would clean it out and then carry on. but the pandemic caused all kinds of inflation. i was using distilled water and thus could make that humidifier last longer between cleanings.

but in the midst of that pandemic, the price of distilled water in my area shot up 300 percent! i've always been a fellow that weighs cost against my own laziness. when that distilled water was "cheap", i was going right along with it.

but when the price increase came, i went with tap water. and that can get pretty murky in my machine. SO, i bought an extra humidifier. when the water gets murky, i put in the spare tank while the murky one gets a good soaking in polident denture tablets. this lets me keep on keeping on.

i realize this doesn't really answer your question. so i suppose my answer is: i haven't "replaced" anything and am still using the same humidifier.

just realized i keep typing humidifier when of course i mean the chamber.

might be time for me to wander off to bed.
:roll:
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

ozij

Post by ozij » Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:11 pm

My AS10 humidifier sprung a leak at the plastic to metal seam after about 3.5 years, and I was told the expected life was about a year....

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

Respirator99

Post by Respirator99 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:17 pm

My S9 ASV still has its original tank from 2013. I retired that machine in 2021. I bought a new AC10 Aircurve in 2021 and that is still on its original tank, with no problems.

I don't replace anything unless it breaks or wears out. I also don't often throw things at the wall, and never my humidifier!
* Download Oscar
* Oscar help
* An alternative to Oscar - try SleepHQ

I have no medical training or qualifications. Take my advice for what it's worth.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Sep 21, 2023 12:23 am

colomom wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:09 pm
The DME is always wanting me to replace my humidifier chamber (and everything else). It seems like overkill to me. Even though I’ve never seen signs of my humidifier chamber needing to be replaced I’ve replaced it 2 times since I’ve had my machine (about 4 years). Unfortunately this morning when I reached over to turn off my machine I felt water underneath. The humidifier chamber had sprung a leak. I dried everything out and so far 🤞my machine seems to still be running OK.

I recommend changing them when they leak. Same with all equipment, when it doesn't work properly any longer, replace it. There's ZERO reason to replace anything that's working properly, unless you just want to make more money for the DME.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Conrad

Post by Conrad » Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:45 am

Filters and the nasal pillows get swapped out once per month for me.

The heated hose and humidifier reservoir get swapped out once per year.

My DME doesn't like my schedule, but they aren't paying for my supplies either.
ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto Swift FX

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many...

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:26 am

I have used 4 machines during my 15 years on CPAP. I only replaced 1 tub because I dropped it. I use only distilled water and my tubs last as long as the machine. All the DMEs are thinking about is $$$$$$$$$$$$.
Last edited by LSAT on Thu Sep 21, 2023 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Millstone50

Post by Millstone50 » Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:44 am

Never. Use distilled water, dump it when it starts to get crud in it, wipe it from time to time, and it won't get gross.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Sep 21, 2023 10:51 am

I treat the tank kindly, and it has outlasted the worst wishes of the dealer. 8)
I only need one spare, and swap between the two.
Nothing ever breaks when the DME is open.
If one should fail, I can get another, when it is convenient.
Until then, why waste money and storage space?

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Thu Sep 21, 2023 12:23 pm

I have been using a machine for 8 years and my wife has been using one for 6 years. We have replaces two water tanks because one of the hinge pins broke on each of them. Even we can get our supplies for zero out of pocket cost, we use them as long as we can before changing them.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Sat Sep 23, 2023 2:52 pm

colomom wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:09 pm

After 18 years and 4 months of therapy, I am still using my original humidifier base/platform,tank and hose.
but, like with everything else, I ave plenty of spares.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

RNeil

Post by RNeil » Sat Sep 23, 2023 4:13 pm

The chamber life depends on how often you drop it, how often you use Soclean and how often you put the non-dishwasher safe version in the dishwasher. I replace mine almost every time I drop it.

booksfan

Post by booksfan » Sat Sep 23, 2023 5:44 pm

I am another who only replaces when necessary (broken, leaking, etc.), but does always have a spare, in case of failure on a Friday night before a long weekend :lol: !

I used the same heated hose and humidifier chamber on my Airsense 10 Autoset for Her for 5 years, until I got my Airsense 11 Autoset about 10 months ago. I have used the same hose and chamber on that machine since I got it. Hubby does not use the humidifier so I have his chamber as my spare and I just got another heated hose, in case. I do use distilled water, but only because I can't stand the smell of the chlorinated tap water...it keeps me awake! And yes, I can tell. If my chamber is still fairly full in the morning, I pour the remaining distilled water into a red Solo cup, wash the chamber, and let it dry. One night, our grands spent the night and I poured the water in the chamber and about choked! Had to wash the chamber again, replace with fresh distilled water. Found out the next morning one of the girls had drunk the water and refilled it from the sink tap! :lol:

Mask: Bleep Eclipse/Halos
Machine: ResMed AirSense 11 AutoSet

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:18 pm

I replace my water tank every time I drop it on the floor and bust it.

So once in 6 years.