Auto off

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Catnapper

Auto off

Post by Catnapper » Tue Oct 10, 2023 2:15 pm

Medicare finally approved a replacement for my 5 year-old Dreamstation that had been recalled. This time I got a RedMed auto bipap. I forget its fancy name. It has a feature called Auto Off. I can pull my mask off my head and it sends a whoosh of air for 15-20 seconds, then almost stops. It continues with a tiny stream of air for a long time. Odd. Otherwise, I like it fine. The first time I turned it on, I had to check to see if it had started because I could barely feel it.

I started sleep apnea therapy in 2006. Mostly I have had Respiroics machines. I do like a ResMed mask.

What else have I missed?

Catnapper - Joanie

ChicagoGranny

Re: Auto off

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Oct 10, 2023 2:23 pm

Catnapper wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 2:15 pm
It has a feature called Auto Off. I can pull my mask off my head and it sends a whoosh of air for 15-20 seconds, then almost stops.
The purpose of the Auto Off feature is to turn the machine off when a very high leak is detected. I always turn the machine off before removing the mask.
Catnapper wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 2:15 pm
It continues with a tiny stream of air for a long time. Odd.
This is a feature that is used to dry any condensation that may be in the hose.

Catnapper

Post by Catnapper » Tue Oct 10, 2023 8:12 pm

The tech who demonstrated the machine to me didn't tell me that. He told me it was to take off the mask.

Hahaha.

amenite

Post by amenite » Tue Oct 10, 2023 8:29 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 2:23 pm
The purpose of the Auto Off feature is to turn the machine off when a very high leak is detected. I always turn the machine off before removing the mask.
Use the on/off button if you like. Or not. Per the S10 manual (YMMV of course):

SmartStart™ Enable / disable the SmartStart feature. If you enable the SmartStart
feature, the device will start automatically when the patient breathes into
the mask and then stop automatically when the patient removes the
mask.

ozij

Post by ozij » Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:00 pm

Hi Catnapper!

"Auto off" is just what is means: Turning the machine off automatically.
It would be absurd to turn it off automatically when there's high leak during therapy. I doubt it even happens - unless the mask has been taken off while a person is asleep. The leak needed to turn the machine off in truly huge. And for some pillows masks at lower pressures Auto off doesn't even work.

I love the gentle blow of air after the machine is turned off, because it makes sure the system dries up. I actually set a timer for 25 minutes or so after I get up, and that's when I disconnect the hose and the humidifier.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Oct 11, 2023 5:52 am

ozij wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:00 pm
It would be absurd to turn it off automatically when there's high leak during therapy. I doubt it even happens - unless the mask has been taken off while a person is asleep.
I hate to tell you, but it regularly turns my machine off when I get a high leak. With the S9 and AS10, there is one control for Auto On/Off. They improved this with the 11. There are separate controls. This allows me to use the Auto On without the Auto Off. I really like the Auto On, but the Auto Off is a pain for me.

So, there is your absurdity. :mrgreen:

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Oct 11, 2023 5:54 am

amenite wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 8:29 pm
ChicagoGranny wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 2:23 pm
Use the on/off button if you like. Or not. Per the S10 manual (YMMV of course):

SmartStart™ Enable / disable the SmartStart feature. If you enable the SmartStart
feature, the device will start automatically when the patient breathes into
the mask and then stop automatically when the patient removes the
mask.
He is correct by default. The machine doesn't know you removed the mask. It only detects a high leak and assumes (Dumb assumption) that you removed the mask.

amenite

Post by amenite » Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:55 am

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 5:54 am
He is correct by default. The machine doesn't know you removed the mask. It only detects a high leak and assumes (Dumb assumption) that you removed the mask.
Well the manufacturer is correct anyway, it comes from their manual. I am curious though - what kind of leak rate does it take to shut off the machine anyway? I've had a large leak here and there in the past and never had this happen that I know of.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:25 pm

amenite wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:55 am
I am curious though - what kind of leak rate does it take to shut off the machine anyway?
This I don't know. In the past when I looked at some of my OSCAR charts, 90 lpm leak seemed to be in the auto shutoff range. It sometimes happens when I change positions and the mask gets cocked up on one side. I want the machine to keep running, but the Auto-off is not controlled separately from the Auto-on.
amenite wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:55 am
Well the manufacturer is correct anyway, it comes from their manual.
Yes, if it is in the manufacturer's manual, it has to be true. :mrgreen: