Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV) and RSV Vaccine

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ChicagoGranny

Re: Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV) and RSV Vaccine

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Oct 21, 2023 5:12 am

"Paid for at no cost" is a useful idiom. Actually, over my lifetime and presently (Medicare premiums) I am paying a lot for those vaccines.
Funding for Medicare, which totaled $888 billion in 2021, comes primarily from general revenues (46%), payroll tax revenues (34%), and premiums paid by beneficiaries (15%).

lazarus

Post by lazarus » Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:35 am

Thank you for paying for our health care, Granny.
The people who confuse "entomology" and "etymology" really bug me beyond words.
---
A love song to a CPAP? Oh please!:
https://youtu.be/_e32lugxno0?si=W4W9EnrZZTD5Ow6p

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:15 am

lazarus wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:35 am
Thank you for paying for our health care, Granny.
You might withdraw your gratitude when "they" come for you for the $246,000 in debt each citizen has.

https://usdebtclock.org/

ILoveFlowers

Post by ILoveFlowers » Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:41 pm

I'm planning to get it. I'm going to wait another week or so because this last covid booster really kicked my butt.
AirSense 10 AutoSet For Her
Airfit P10 mask

bwexler

Post by bwexler » Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:10 pm

All you guys sure are brave.
I got some vaccines a wile back, maybe around 77 years ago.I think it was called DPT.
I think I need to space them out. Maybe one every 99 years.

I just heard of the RSV 2 days ago from the young gal that fixes my Medicare Advantage problems. She said she got it from her 2 year old, and it was NO FUN.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:26 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 5:12 am
"Paid for at no cost" is a useful idiom. Actually, over my lifetime and presently (Medicare premiums) I am paying a lot for those vaccines.
Funding for Medicare, which totaled $888 billion in 2021, comes primarily from general revenues (46%), payroll tax revenues (34%), and premiums paid by beneficiaries (15%).
Not really, considering all the *OTHER* things that those premiums have gone for.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

MeToo

Post by MeToo » Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:25 pm

In the brief amount of research that I did, the GSK RSV vaccine reportedly protects against two RSV variants, plus it has an adjuvant. Thinking that was the better choice, I hunted around to find it. Publix was the only local option for GSK; everywhere else had Pfizer.

About 6 hours later, my shoulder started hurting and the following day I felt like I was a little mentally off. The second morning after receiving the jab I felt great.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:51 am

MeToo wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:25 pm
In the brief amount of research that I did, the GSK RSV vaccine reportedly protects against two RSV variants, plus it has an adjuvant. Thinking that was the better choice,
Thanks for the information. I don't have time to read and compare until next week, but here is some information on the effectiveness of the two vaccines - https://www.fiercepharma.com/pharma/cdc ... mended-use

Maybe others want to post what their analysis has shown.

I want to get an RSV vaccine next week, so this subject of comparison interests me. One word of caution, the two vaccines have not been studied side-by-side, so any comparison of the relative effectiveness of the two is premature.

You have a great avatar. I love The Mick.

RogerSC

Post by RogerSC » Sun Oct 29, 2023 4:34 pm

Got all 3 at the beginning of October, since I was going on a trip a couple of weeks later. Which meant more exposure to "out of area" germs *smile*. Anyways, no problems other than the usual shoulder pain where the shots were given, and a little low energy, blah feeling for a couple of days.

Still need the shingrix pair, that's coming soon.

Lucky7

Post by Lucky7 » Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:53 pm

MeToo wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:25 pm
In the brief amount of research that I did, the GSK RSV vaccine reportedly protects against two RSV variants, plus it has an adjuvant. Thinking that was the better choice, I hunted around to find it. Publix was the only local option for GSK; everywhere else had Pfizer.

About 6 hours later, my shoulder started hurting and the following day I felt like I was a little mentally off. The second morning after receiving the jab I felt great.
It's really hard to compare the results of two different interventions with different trial designs.

The adjuvant in the GSK vaccine might make protection more durable. We just don't know yet (time machines would be handy lol).

It's same adjuvant used for Shingrix, so if you had a particularly hard time with that vaccine, that might inform one's decisions....