High number of apnea after waking up in middle of night

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Rick_m71

High number of apnea after waking up in middle of night

Post by Rick_m71 » Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:41 pm

I recently was talking to a family member who got a new machine and said the AHI was running 8-15 each night. I looked at his SD card and it showed very few apeans for the first 6 hours, but then he'd get up to use the bathroom, and then the next 2 hours would have tons of apneas.

He said during those 2 hours he doesn't really fall back asleep, but I suspect he is in and out of light sleep.

Has anyone here heard of this? His new machine is an APAP, so he was woken up by his mask leaking once the pressure got up to around d15

ozij

Re: High number of apnea after waking up in middle of night

Post by ozij » Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:47 pm

Rick_m71 wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:41 pm
He said during those 2 hours he doesn't really fall back asleep, but I suspect he is in and out of light sleep.

Has anyone here heard of this?
Yes, and often.
The machines get confused by the natural inconsistencies of wake breathing, and reports them as apneas. Sleep breathing is regular, an apnea is an change in this regularity.
Anything the machine reports when you're awake, or tossing and turning, or in and out of light sleep can be safely ignored.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

LSAT

Re: High number of apnea after waking up in middle of night

Post by LSAT » Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:58 am

What ozij said is absolutely correct. If you would look at the events that occured after the 6 hours, they would mostly be CAs which in this case are events with no airway blockage...just very irregular breathing while awake or partially awake. You can follow the events by using the Oscar software on your computer.